Server naming scheme

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Deimos, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

I'm setting up a new mail server (exchange 2010) and I'm just wondering what to name it, my current mail server is ex1, I was going to use the same name but that would mean I would have to set up a temp mail server, migrate mail off the server, create the new sever and migrate mail back (PITA).

I cant use MAIL either because that is the external name, I have a feeling that it may cause issues with RPC over HTTPS.

2. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Protip: Never name your servers what their purpose is.

3. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

i name my systems

Mail-Exch01

as i get others i add 02, 03 et cetera

makes it easy for anyone who may need to work on the network past me

I know people will say don't name them what they are, but if someone gets into your network to get access, i think your already in trouble, scans will be running anyways telling them what they are.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

I do server names more according to client, and usually put some twist with a name based on what this client does for a business.
    Example....oil company, their main server is called tanker
    A home nursing agency, their main server is called Headnurse. their remote server has a bad pun..."Terminal"
    A nursing home I have their servers named after animals...fox, rabbit, hound, etc
    Our servers, the military alphabet....Golf, Tango, Foxtrot, etc
    Another client..their servers named after moons and planets...Io, Pluto, Neptune, etc
    I remember another client I used to care for, before they moved, their servers were named after Calvin and Hobbes characters.

And yet at some other clients, I have more traditional boring names based on their purpose. I wouldn't worry about naming servers based on their purpose....as stated above, if someones in your network to cause trouble, even the most beginner of troublemakers will have the tools to easy ..within split seconds....find what each server does for roles.

Do whatever you fancy.

5. k1pp3r

k1pp3r [H]ardness Supreme

Prety much this, My server names are all jacked up cause the original tech before me screwed some stuff up, but i have clients that name theirs after characters others that name them logically, like sql2008 and so forth, do whatever you like

6. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

I typically use a location code that's relevant to the company, but not too specific, like their address. For example, in Philly, it would be PHL01, etc.