Server IP & Port assignement database software?

a2vr6

Weaksauce
This question is more geared towards network admin's. I am currently using the old fashioned excel spreadsheet to keep track of IP and Port asssignment's whenever we setup a server in our data center. Curious what other options that are out there that are either free or low cost to take up such daunting and time consuming task. Basically looking for the following:

-More than one user able to work in updating IP and ports at time
-instantaneous updates to the document/sheet
-locking of fields when information is being updated.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

if you've got excel going, you should be able to setup a small access database to do that.
pretty simple from what you've said you wanted in it. plus you can import your existing information.

So creating an access DB will allow me to lock fields when there is more than one person updating data within in it?

How many servers are you managing? If it's over 20 I would look to automate the process. Maybe create a cron event to dump a netstat to a text file and then parse it for the information.

Yes it is alot more than 20 servers, it is also a mixed environment (Unix/WIndows). Netstat would not give me port info though.

Netstat does give port info as well as the application using that port if you use the corect switches.

Try a netstat -a -b -n in windows
and

netstat -v in Unix..

I read the OP to mean switch port (i.e., blade 5, port 48, or Fast0/35), not TCP ports.

I read the OP to mean switch port (i.e., blade 5, port 48, or Fast0/35), not TCP ports.

AHHHH. I Didnt guess this as we keep track through port descriptions on the switch itself.

In that case it would help to know what type of switches he has?

What equipment are you working with? Cisco? If so then CiscoWorks has this built in. It's called User Tracking.

Oputils is another one (Switchport mapper tool in the suite). About $300 for the version that has "switchport mapper", but it looks like it supports equipment other than Cisco. It's also is a lot more than just a switch port mapping application.

Of course this only applies to networks with Managed switches.

All the stuff we are using is developed in house, tracks what the hardware is, rack, switch, port number, IP address allocations, OS and software, and notes. This is all for a dedicated hosting company and we are in 3 different locations so it also includes the data center as well. done with PHP and MySQL. All entries are done using the interface by techs.

AHHHH. I Didnt guess this as we keep track through port descriptions on the switch itself.

In that case it would help to know what type of switches he has?

What equipment are you working with? Cisco? If so then CiscoWorks has this built in. It's called User Tracking.

Oputils is another one (Switchport mapper tool in the suite). About $300 for the version that has "switchport mapper", but it looks like it supports equipment other than Cisco. It's also is a lot more than just a switch port mapping application.

Of course this only applies to networks with Managed switches.

We mainly use Cisco hardware but there is some Nokia switches thrown in also.

Well I tend to document all my clients visually, so I use a combination of Visio (Professional 2003 currently) and tables in MS Word documents. I've done everything from 6 person LANs to 150+ server colo cages with these tools, nothing beats a diagram with every relevant detail taped to the inside of a rack enclosure door when you haven't seen the contents in 6 months.

Back