Server in garage in Oregon?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure where this should go.

I'm running a PC in a gaming case that also acts as my server. Has about 6 HDDs in it. It's also my main rig but it heats up my small office quite a bit. I have moved in into the garage which is fine for now.

But I live in southern Oregon and the wet season is coming. I'm worried about the thing getting rust on the parts or something from moisture.

The house is brand new and the garage is insulated, but it's still a garage.

Anyone doing something similar? What do you guys think?

Is it an attached garage? Being a new house I wouldn't think there would be a problem at all. A lot of people have garage computers. I would think summer humidity would do more damage than rainy season assuming you aren't getting dampness on the floor and walls of your garage.

You could always throw a moisture absorber into it and see how much is actually getting to the components.

Two things come to mind - condensation and hard drive bearings fluid.

to avoid condensation, leave it on. Condensation is a result of temperature differential to a COOL surface. Think of a drinking glass on a hot day with ice water in it. Keeping the hard drives spinning and not turning them off will keep the bearing fluid at an operating temperature.

No sleep hard drives always on.

EDIT = Turn it on when it is warm. Turing it on when it is COLD will produce CONDENSATION

Last edited:
Build a box-frame for the thing. Build it so you can encase the thing in air filters (with the filters becoming the "sides" of the box. This will protect the thing vs particulate contamination and dust. Replace when the filters are visibly dirty.
It'll also provide first-line gross-wetness protection. So accidental fluid sprays, and the like won't get in.

Then throw a couple tubs of Damp-rid in there as well. I'll absorb the moisture.

Two things come to mind - condensation and hard drive bearings fluid.

to avoid condensation, leave it on. Condensation is a result of temperature differential to a COOL surface. Think of a drinking glass on a hot day with ice water in it. Keeping the hard drives spinning and not turning them off will keep the bearing fluid at an operating temperature.

No sleep hard drives always on.

EDIT = Turn it on when it is warm. Turing it on when it is COLD will produce CONDENSATION

Condensation is the result of the air temperature dropping lower than the saturation point for the moisture it's holding. You can have a temperature differential without condensation, and you can have condensation without a temperature differential (think wet grass in the early morning). As long as you keep the humidity in check, there will be no condensation issues. We keep our data centers 15-20ºC. We don't have any condensation issues whatsoever when they take a server down for 8+ hours during maintenance periods.

And turning something on while cold does not produce condensation. It being colder than the dew point of the surrounding air produces condensation; turning it on just shorts everything out.

The winter air is typically dry enough where you can get away without a dehumidifier by following my post instructions. Human aspiration contains most all of the humidity and moisture issues inside (in the winter)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not sure I'm wanting to spend the money on a dehumidifier, I'll probably just play it by ear. An enclosure could be cool.

Depending on how cold my office gets I might want it in there. This is tht first winter in this house so we'll see.

Back