Server 2016 failover clustering and CAL questions.

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Ok, so I have a couple identical Dell Poweredge R320 servers.

I am wanting to set them up with bare metal Server 2016 Standard and use them for a file share with failover clustering for redundancy.

From what I am reading the failover clustering seems fairly straightforward to set up. Anything I should be aware of to make the process simpler/easier?

Now for the CAL question.
If I do not have a domain and just use a workgroup for the file share with "Everyone" being able to access the file share, does that require CALs?

It sounds to me like CALs are only needed if there is user authentication involved.. but maybe I am reading it wrong. Anybody know for sure?

Yes you need CAL for server access if it's at a business with multiple people. Just call up CDW. They will know exactly how manay CALs you need. Server OS use to come with like 2 or 5 CALs at one time, not sure if they still do. We use server Core suite and cal suites to license all servers and users, makes it really easy, just count people and cores.

If money is the issue you can do this far cheaper with linux.

Only problem is, the person that is going to be handling stuff after I do the initial setup knows pretty much zilch about Linux and I really don't want to have to walk them through stuff all the time.

Thought the CALs were licenses for the users in AD themselves. So you'd need cals for the accounts, whether they auth against that share or not.

Thought the CALs were licenses for the users in AD themselves. So you'd need cals for the accounts, whether they auth against that share or not.

Right, but if I am NOT using AD and just have a workgroup setup, with the only account on the server being the admin account, I don't see what the point of CALs would be.

Right now a Windows 10 machine is being used as the file/print server.

The only real thing I would be using that is not on Windows 10 would be the failover clustering.

In reality I could just put Windows 10 on both R320s and then just have Yintersync.net http://yintersync.net/ do the real time syncing of the data to the backup R320.

Then if the R320 in use goes down all they would have to do is change the IP and name of the backup R320 and they would be back in business.

Right, but if I am NOT using AD and just have a workgroup setup, with the only account on the server being the admin account, I don't see what the point of CALs would be.

The only real thing I would be using that is not on Windows 10 would be the failover clustering.

In reality I could just put Windows 10 on both R320s and then just have Yintersync.net http://yintersync.net/ do the real time syncing of the data to the backup R320.

Then if the R320 in use goes down all they would have to do is change the IP and name of the backup R320 and they would be back in business.

Then you shouldn't need to worry about CALs I believe, but MS licensing is a nightmare.

If you are using software to sync between boxes, why not setup the windows load balancer? Then point to the VIP, if either server goes down all traffic will be directed to the running node.

Then you shouldn't need to worry about CALs I believe, but MS licensing is a nightmare.

If you are using software to sync between boxes, why not setup the windows load balancer? Then point to the VIP, if either server goes down all traffic will be directed to the running node.

Hmmmm, interesting. I didn't think about that.

CAL's have nothing to do with AD. The need for them is based on the operating system of the device. A user reading a file from a file share is considered accessing that server.

If you used Windows Server Essentials you wouldn't need a CAL because it doesn't license access that way.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing

On that site it clearly states the needs for CALs for Standard edition. There's also an FAQ document at the bottom:

9. Are CALs still required for Windows Server 2016? Yes, Windows Server Standard and Datacenter editions will continue to require Windows Server CALs for every user or device accessing a server (see the Product Terms for exceptions). Some additional or advanced functionality will continue to require the purchase of additive CALs. These are CALs that are needed in addition to the Windows Server CAL

I mentioned earlier calling CDW for help buying licensing. They have people that work for them who's sole job is licensing. You just tell them what you are doing and they tell you what licensing you need. It's that easy..

Last edited:
Back