Server 2012 R2 RDS question

ashman

Gawd
Setting up my first 2012R2 RDS server, is there a way to configure one desktop so that its the same for all users. On 2008R2, what ever shortcuts or modifications you made to the admin desktop were seen by all RDS users when they logged in, doesn't seem to be that way for 2012R2.

On 2008R2, what ever shortcuts or modifications you made to the admin desktop were seen by all RDS users when they logged in, doesn't seem to be that way for 2012R2.

That's actually not the case. This aspect hasn't changed between 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

You want to talk this two different ways:
1. If you want icons to appear on the desktop, you can place them on the all users desktop.
2. You'll want to create a default profile so when new users log into the machine, they receive the profile that you created for them.

I can't find that 'all users' desktop, unless its hidden? Is it called default?

How do I create a profile that users would receive?

Also is there a way to hide programs/icons from RDS users so that when they go into the start menu and click on the down arrow to see all installed programs, they don't see what I don't want them to see?

Last edited:
I can't find that 'all users' desktop, unless its hidden? Is it called default?
%public%\Desktop

How do I create a profile that users would receive?
It actually already exists, you just need to modify it. One way to do so: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/How+to+Configure+the+Windows+Default+User+Profile

Also is there a way to hide programs/icons from RDS users so that when they go into the start menu and click on the down arrow to see all installed programs, they don't see what I don't want them to see?

You'd have to edit the permissions of the shortcuts in %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs to prevent them from being seen.

Do you know where you turn on encryption for RDS connections? I am going to have some connections going out over the internet to this 2012R2 RDS server, I want to make sure they are encrypted.

For long term, for sure I'll buy a cert, but this is for a couple of weeks of training for now.

Back