Server 2012 Essentials Beta - Domain Only ?

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Anyone know if you can install it as a non-domain server? It forced me to provide a domain name during the installation.

I don't want MS domains anywhere near my home network. I want a standard network server.

Anyone know if you can install it as a non-domain server? It forced me to provide a domain name during the installation.

I don't want MS domains anywhere near my home network. I want a standard network server.

That's what regular Server 2012 is for....

Funny how the low-end one forces a domain. Damn...

So much for Essentials replacing WHS. What a dumb ass design decision.

I guess I know what my first Beta comment will be :)

Funny how the low-end one forces a domain. Damn...

So much for Essentials replacing WHS. What a dumb ass design decision.

I guess I know what my first Beta comment will be :)

That and it's $425. :eek:

There are more cheaper (and free) solutions than this, and for many, WHS is more than enough.

Depending on your feature wishes, WHS was perfect.

Providing a domain name and not joining computers to it is no different than providing a workgroup name.

Well, that's true, but what I fear is the advanced features such as the Backup System and Streaming may require domain access.

What I'm going to try and do, assuming it installs under Hyper-V ok, is create a local account for a user on the server, and if a login comes up requiring a domain, trying the old .\ trick to the local account.

Should be fun :)

Providing a domain name and not joining computers to it is no different than providing a workgroup name.

Since TechLarry has a few threads rolling it seems, figured it'd be helpful to cross-post a link to his other thread here. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1704906

Looks like trying to install the connector for the Backup Service forced his PC into a domain and killed all his workgroup settings, no notifications. :D

Downloading now myself, I'm curious what else it's going to force a domain join on.

Yeah, that's why I started the thread in the server forum and all my posts are going there now :)

What exactly are you trying to do that requires Windows Server? Windows Server is normally overkill for a home environment.

What exactly are you trying to do that requires Windows Server? Windows Server is normally overkill for a home environment.

Larry mentioned WHS a couple times, I assume he's setting up this Essentials 2012 beta to what he had on a WHS 2011 server and see what happens.

WHS 2011 is pretty good for simple backup/hold yer crap file server stuff although I can't get mine to stream that DNLA stuff easily.

Windows Home Server is being killed off. Windows Server Essentials is replacing it.

Larry mentioned WHS a couple times, I assume he's setting up this Essentials 2012 beta to what he had on a WHS 2011 server and see what happens.

WHS 2011 is pretty good for simple backup/hold yer crap file server stuff although I can't get mine to stream that DNLA stuff easily.

Windows Home Server is being killed off. Windows Server Essentials is replacing it.

Essentials is the (more or less) replacement for Small Business Server. I don't think you are going to want to use it for Home Use unless you are familiar with Active Directory.

Have you considered Amahi?

Essentials is the (more or less) replacement for Small Business Server. I don't think you are going to want to use it for Home Use unless you are familiar with Active Directory.

Have you considered Amahi?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30327 - Near the bottom is the lowly PDF FAQ link.

Q: Will there be a next version of Windows Home Server?
A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012
Beta Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

While this sounds nice and dandy, it's looking like it's not as newb friendly as WHS was because of domains and Active Directory. I have a WHS 2011 sitting in a corner and the thought of having to do AD+Domain stuff that's foreign to me on my computers and the wife's MBP doesn't sound newb friendly anymore :(

Never tried Amahi, heard it was decent.

Essentials is not a Replacment for sbs2011. Not even close.
While you may disagree, Microsoft does not.

Taken from the very first question in the FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Windows Server 2012 Essentials?
A: The latest version of Windows Small Business Server

Essentials only supports 25 users and 50 devices, but if you have anymore than that, you should be on a full fledged active directory anyways.

I have no problem with Microsoft combinging SBS and WHS into one product. The problem I do have though is the cost. It's outrageous ($425).

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-conf...e-versions-of-windows-home-server-7000000348/

A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012 Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.​

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30327 - Near the bottom is the lowly PDF FAQ link.

A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012
Beta Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

While this sounds nice and dandy, it's looking like it's not as newb friendly as WHS was because of domains and Active Directory. I have a WHS 2011 sitting in a corner and the thought of having to do AD+Domain stuff that's foreign to me on my computers and the wife's MBP doesn't sound newb friendly anymore :(

Never tried Amahi, heard it was decent.

If they are truly targeting Server 2012 Essentials at home users, requiring the server to be a domain controller is pretty self-defeating; Active Directory is not something for the novice user.

Microsoft seems to be under the misguided impression that they can turn PHBs into IT people and are trying to sell Server 2012 Essentials as a product that doesn't require an IT person. The problem is, the last thing you want is for the PHB to be the one setting up or maintaining a server; even if you make the interface dead simple, they will still manage to mess it up (giving everyone administrator access, giving their desktop account domain administrator permissions, not updating, not configuring the firewall properly, installing BonziBuddy on the server, using the server as their personal computer, etc.).

Back