Server 2012 domain client constant logging out.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Fading Phoenix, May 21, 2016.

1. Fading Phoenix

Fading Phoenix Gawd

I migrated my home server from whs 2011 to Server 2012 r2 a couple weeks ago and have been dealing with what I assume is a side effect of being on a domain now.

If I'm on my computer working, and leave it idle long enough that the monitor goes to sleep, as soon as I wake the monitor again the computer is on the lock screen and I need to log in. I can disable this by changing my power options so that I don't require a password on wakeup, but I would prefer to still require a password when I wake the actual computer from sleep.

Anyone know if I can change or disable this feature?

2. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Change the power settings so the computer does not idle to sleep after 30 minutes. You can still manually put it in sleep mode when you are done using it.

3. Fading Phoenix

Fading Phoenix Gawd

Thanks for the reply. Changing the computer's sleep time doesn't affect anything though, as soon as the display goes to sleep I still have to log in again. I can set the display to never turn off in the power settings, but this isn't really ideal to me either.

4. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

That must be in the 'default domain policy' which is applied to all the computers.
    Best practice is to not change the default domain policy, unlink it to the domain, or copy it, then edit/change the copy and use that instead.

5. Fading Phoenix

Fading Phoenix Gawd

I'm not sure what I would be looking for in there anyway. I browsed through the Security Settings but didn't really see anything that seemed like it; it wouldn't be the "Enforce User Logon Restrictions" under Kerberos Policy would it? Ultimately, if I need to change it across all clients then I may reconsider. It can be a nuisance when working on our desktops, but I actually would like the security it provides for our laptop and tablet.

6. H2R2P2

H2R2P2 Limp Gawd

Also keep in mind that you dont have to join the domain for you to still have access to network resources. Have your computer set up in a workgroup like you did before and if you want the screen locked, lock it (control, alt, delete, then enter).

7. Fading Phoenix

Fading Phoenix Gawd

Fair enough point, don't think that's something I want to do, but will add it to consideration. I know before I moved to the domain I had been reading about installing the connector and remaining in a workgroup, but stumbled on some discussion of those that did not being able to get the Launchpad to log them in automatically.