server 2012, AD, and Hyper-V

bobstone

Limp Gawd
so I configured my home server to run Server 2012, I had a few questions before I get to far down this road.

if I set up my home to use AD and my server takes a dump, how hard will it be to access the files and what not, will it just be a matter of starting up a server trial vm in my copy of workstation on my desk top and attaching the storage and taking ownership? or would it be even easier then that.

or might I totaly lock my self out of my own data? I am really new to using AD.

secondly I wanted to know if I could run a hyper-v VM of pfsense on my server? maybe vmware player would be better?

it is a supermicro atom d510 with 4gb ram, pfsense will only be used for 4-8 devices and the server has dual intel nics? I am running storage spaces so there is some cpu overhead, but I figure a 32 bit copy of pfsense should hardly effect my overhead... ( vm will be stored on a mostly dedicated drive not in any storage pool)

Thanks for any info.

You want to have 2 ADs, they don't take up much RAM or HD space, like 15GB HD and 1GB RAM is enough and since they need to be the DNS server even with cached credentials that would work just fine with the AD down you'd have to access all your servers by IP which can be a pain, stick one on your server and one on your desktop.

FYI, Recomended drive space for Server 2008 R2 is 60 GB and 2012 is like 65 GB,

I normally don't like going smaller than that, but I have installed 2008 R2 on a 16 GB SSD before, to little space for my confort

I meant my VHDXs end up being around 15-16GB on the host, despite the virtual size being like 1TB

FYI, Recomended drive space for Server 2008 R2 is 60 GB and 2012 is like 65 GB,

I normally don't like going smaller than that, but I have installed 2008 R2 on a 16 GB SSD before, to little space for my confort

We do 20-24gb for all of our server installs. Plenty of space for basic server installs and if you install apps to a data drive (makes backups easier too).

For AD DCs, I run two at home. The VMs use dynamic memory in Hyper-v and rarely go above 700mb. They also both run with 24gb HDDs and have PLENTY of free space.

-Dragon- do you mean have a VM of a AD on my desktop that I run every now and then to update with primary AD and use that if the server goes down? how would that work, since it would be a vm on a PC that needs that VM to log in? or am I misunderstanding you?

as far as 2 physical boxes I could not get that going currently, maybe soon in the future but not at this time.

I installed Server 2012 and it refused to install since I only had 90GB presented to the VM. Microsoft has conflicting information on storage requirements. That was Server 2012 Essentials, your mileage may vary.

You don't need the AD to log on as long as there's cached credentials or you use a local account, you can always log in the local administrator/first user account. If you have win8 you can just install the hyper-v feature and throw an extra AD on your desktop and let it run all the time in the background, has very very low IO requirements and like we've said, 700-1000MB for RAM. If you don't have win8 then you can do virtualbox or vmworkstation and just launch the backup DC whenever you boot your machine. You'll want to setup your DHCP server to give out the IP for both DC's to everything on your network, just put your main DC as the first DNS server

I installed Server 2012 and it refused to install since I only had 90GB presented to the VM. Microsoft has conflicting information on storage requirements. That was Server 2012 Essentials, your mileage may vary.

160GB for Essentials (SBS)
32GB for normal/straight OS

so, my primary desktop is my gaming PC stats in sig. if I have the hyper-v "service?" running with a VM DC it should not effect my gaming? most of what I play does not push my pc that much, I am more worried about network latency.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to get pfsense 2.0.2 to install on Hyper-V with 2008 R2 SP1. I haven't tried 2012. If you are using thin provisioning, you should be able to oversubscribe the hard disk, and it will be fine as long the actual use doesn't fill up the drive.

Back