Server 2008 x64 - Print Server, Issues

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Punkrulz, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz [H]ard|Gawd

Hey guys,

Here at my customer we are tinkering around with a few things. My boss would like me to try and implement our Server 2008 x64 machine as a print server. He would like me to remove the printers from the 3 other servers (All are 2003 Standard) so that we have one centralized source for printers. I've been messing around with it for a little while, and it seems very nice.

I'm having an issue with one of the printers, which I expect to have on a few others. I am trying to use 1 printer / user as a test, which is an HP Color Laserjet 1600. About 95% of all of the printers we are using are HP. He also would like to make sure we use the HP Universal Print Driver, which makes sense. I am attempting to set all of this up on the Server 2008. I've installed the printer on the server using the TCP/IP address, and listed it on the directory. On the user's computer, which is Windows XP x32 w/ SP2, I attempt to add the printer.

I then get an error message from the Universal driver in Windows Xp stating that it is the wrong driver for the printer, and wants me to install a different driver. I've also tried downloading the x64 1600 Driver and installing that onto the server, however I get the following error message:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I be installing a Windows x32 driver, since that's what will be installed on the clients as well? Or would I be installing an x64 driver, since that's what the server is?

Thanks!

2. xxEIEIOxx

xxEIEIOxx 2[H]4U

You would install both. You need the x64 driver so the server can access it, and x32 drivers for the client machines.

3. Punkrulz

Punkrulz [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, that had answered my next question... so now I have another!

It makes perfect sense that you would need to have both. My question to you is how can I install both, so that I can have the printer installed on the server, as well as have it deploy the appropriate driver when deployed to a user's machine?

4. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

I havent checked with 2008 yet, but in 2003 there was a tab/button for 'additional drivers' where you would instal the XP or 32bit driver on the server

5. Punkrulz

Punkrulz [H]ard|Gawd

Yep you're absolutely right, seems to work well too. :)