Server 2008 upgrades

Teecee

Gawd
I was wondering if anyone has started to upgrade their 2003 servers to 2008? I have about 30 servers and 20 of them are win 2003 server. Any feedback on this?

If your 2k3 servers are running fine, and your company isn't pushing for Win2k8, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I upgraded one file-print server from 2003 standard sp2 to 2008 standard, no problems, no improvements as well though

I am planning a migration in the Q3 timeframe on all Win2k3 servers. I am really interested in the new clustering features, DFS improvements, HyperV and application virtualization. I have some extra licenses and CALS to purchase, but to get past that I am going to piggy-back the cost of those licences onto my IP PBX project installation in July.

As far as upgrading Microsoft has a lot of good resources on there technet website. They have a nice in-depth article for upgrading clusters as well if you work with Windows clustering at all.

I haven't upgraded any servers from 03 to 08 yet although I have deployed some new 08 servers(I prefer doing a fresh install over an upgrade).

First one I did was replacing a failing sbs2k3 box with an 08std 64bit with exchange 07 machine for a church. Thing is rocking so far.

With in the next month or so my company is going to be replacing are TS box with an 08 server and I'll be moving my home server from sbs2k3 to 08 std(64 bit).

Back