Server 2008 R2 Print Server Issue - Changing Drivers

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by bigdogchris, May 4, 2011.

1. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I'm experimenting with implimenting this and am having a few issues.

When I install a print device and deploy with GPO, it works great.

When I update the driver on the server to a newer version using the 'new driver' button, I have issues. It prompts the user saying they need to install the driver. If you choose to install, it prompts for administrator credentials, which obviously negates the whole point of centralized management.

If I remove the printer from deployment, delete it and the driver, then add it again with an older version driver, and redeploy, the clients are still using the newer driver (sometimes I have reasons to roll back print drivers).

One thing I did notice is the driver is not listed as a package, where the default stuff by Microsoft is. I don't know if that makes a difference. If it is, how can I create the package? Do I have to use WDS or something similar?

So, what am I doing wrong when I'm changing the drivers that it won't automatically deploy the new driver without user intervention? Also, if there is no way to force the change, is there a way to force client stations to delete the old driver without getting into a bunch of scripting (I don't care for it).

Last edited: May 4, 2011