Server 2008 R2 Antivirus

darren700

Limp Gawd
Hi All, I currently run Server 2008 R2 at home and I am searching for a cheap or free anti-virus solution for you, I really don't feel like paying $200 for a one year subscription to something like nod32 business or kaspersky business, anyone have any ideas? thanks alot.

I did research on this topic some time ago, and it seems that clamav for windows was all I could find at the time. There may be more now, but if not, clamav is always an option

I've always kept an eye out on this subject...."Free AV for a server OS"
Clamwin is the common answer..but that product is quite..ineffective.

I've read in quite a few forums that people have installed PCTools free antivirus on servers. PCTools recently did VERY well in the latest AV-Comparatives review.
Since this is for a home test lab..after making a backup of the server...may be worth a shot.
Ensure you have the proper exclusions set..if your server is a DC, regardless of what AV brand you're running on it..server certified or not, there are quite a few directories you should have in your real time protection exclusion list.

Last edited:
I never had any issues with clamav and always caught stuff just as long as I scheduled a scan for once a week, but I will have to try out PCTools tonight

On all the servers I manage, that have people doing stuff on them, I run Microsoft forefront. Because it is a server os, your free options are limited to clamav, which in itself is NOT a valid solution because it isn't a real time scanner. There are ones you can "find" on the internet that will install, run, and update correctly. And there are cheaper ones like Symantec corporate, but you generally have to buy that in a bundle. If no-one will be using that server directly (like terminal services, bit torrent, usenet, etc...), properly secured clients may be all that you need for adequate protection.

If you're looking for an server AV that doesn't break the bank, try Sunbelt Vipre. You can get a site license that lets you install on every computer in your home for $50. It works on Windows Server and XP/Vista/7.

Back