Server 2008 as a Web Server/File Server/Print Server

tgabe213

2[H]4U
Is this possible? I've got my free copy of server 08 and a 'older' spare PC that I'd like to install it on (I hope). Putting system requirements aside, is this attainable? The main thing that attracts me is the advertisement that server 08 can run php and asp.net side by side.

I've searched and looked around, but I haven't really found anything useful. That might be a sign...

I tested Server 2008 on an old HP Compaq nx9600 laptop (P4 3ghz, 512mb RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility X300) I had lying around in my cabinet in an attempt to practice migrating and upgrading WSS 2.0 from a 2003 server to WSS 3.0 on the 2008 server on the laptop. It ran slow as shit when the WMSDE database running lol.. but without it, it was as smooth as Win2003.

I say give it a try.

I'm looking for input more towards information about my intended use. I can't really find anything about using as a web server, or anything for that matter. Searches have become advertisements.

Some may argue, but 2008 is overkill for a web server. I use Win2K and Xampp, but that's just me.

yes youc an use it as a webserver, you can use it for most anything.

IIS is the http server

so your answer is YES you can use it for all the items you mentioned.

Server is overkill for a home HTTP really, sure apache is out there, but IIS is so m uch easier to administer, and for the price, ya,home use is overkill, but try getting into some serious hosting, few sites, some asp and other languages running.. and IIS does great

Well I'd like to learn both, but you can't run asp.net on an apache server, etc. Or do I have the interpretation all wrong?

Ok, say I load XP Pro on it, then use WAMP. How can I run IIS and WAMP side by side? Disable 1 or the other?

File server? Print server?

Sorry for the noobish questions.

Install server 2008, open up server manager (it's under administrative tools), click on roles and then add roles. Add the roles for File Services, Print Services and Web Server and run through the configs of each. They've change the way you administer things within 2008, but it's pretty much the same and very straight forward. Get in there and start messing around, you'll figure it out.

Ok, say I load XP Pro on it, then use WAMP. How can I run IIS and WAMP side by side? Disable 1 or the other?

Several different methods for this:

1. Run IIS and Apache on different ports.

2. Run IIS and Apache on different NICs.

3. Run IIS and Apache on different IP addresses assigned to the same NIC.

I run IIS and Apache Tomcat side by side.. Tomcat for Java Application Server.

Back