Server 2003 to Server 2008 migration DNS trouble

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
My migration from Server 2003 to Server 2008 was going great until i just shutdown the last Server 2003 box that still had DNS running. Apparently DNS on my new Server 2008 DC was not really working and was forwarding requests to the old 2003 server. Once i shut it down outside requests and the entire internet stopped working until i turned that server back on again. Do i need to setup DNS forwarders with the IP of my ISP's DNS server for this to work or simply remove all forwarder IP's? i noticed on the old 2003 box it had no forwarders setup so that means it was using the root hints all along? internal host lookups work fine.

Yes remove the forwarders, and let the server use the Root Hints to get what it needs. You might make sure your Root Hints are up to date, just in case.

I've always done forwarders.....usually set them to OpenDNS. Takes about 15 seconds to do...enter 'em, restart DNS, finito!

Ok thanks for the help. This stuff always happens right before I leave. First thing tomorrow I will fix this and my migration should be complete.

I read that it is best practice to have one dns server doing outside forwarding and the other servers forwrding to that one? What happens when the one getting the requests goes down?

You would just want to make sure that recursion is enabled in the event that forwarding fails.

If the forwarder goes down, the DNS relies on the root hints to query the internet namespace.

Back