Server 2003 or 2008?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Either way, will be importing 2003's data into new servers (Getting away from single-server design), Exchange database, AD, etc.

Again: they're new servers.

Would you mess with 2008? I know it's still pretty new, not sure if I should take that leap or stick with ol' trusty 2003.

If your apps support 08 then go for it. If not there are still a number of advantages to exchange 07 over 03 and exchange 07 needs a 64 bit server os.

What are your needs(user count, extra apps etc).

I moved my first client to 08 back in April(which was sooner then I wanted to) and so far their server had been running very smooth(webmail on exchange crapped out the other day and I haven't had a chance to fix it yet). So far I've been pretty impressed with the new tools that 08 has thrown into the mix. Home server is running the sbs08 beta right now as I figured I'd start looking into it for next year.

I never want to put a new OS into the production environment until SP1 for it is darned near.

If you want to push the envelope....at the very least, whatever software this one client runs...check with their support first and see if they will even bother to support it on 08. If they don't...I would not use 08. One HUGE rule of thumb for me..keep my clients networks within the blessing of their line of business support people.

Next...I would look at all the networked devices that this server shares out...printers, scanners, copiers. Do all of these have drivers which support '08?

I never want to put a new OS into the production environment until SP1 for it is darned near.

If you want to push the envelope....at the very least, whatever software this one client runs...check with their support first and see if they will even bother to support it on 08. If they don't...I would not use 08. One HUGE rule of thumb for me..keep my clients networks within the blessing of their line of business support people.

Next...I would look at all the networked devices that this server shares out...printers, scanners, copiers. Do all of these have drivers which support '08?

Server 2008 is considered at sp1 status. They launched it at that.

Anyway I would look at running exchange off a 2008 server and run exchange 07. If he is splitting roles then he could always run a mixed enviroment. Really I would run 08 on everything I could. I know a few other people that have deployed 08 server already and they have had very good luck so far.

I don't run AD or Exchange, but my 08 experience has been a good one so far.
The Core installation takes a bit to get used to as it can be difficult to quickly find the right info as to how to properly admin it, but other than that it's been good.

With ESXi being free, and Windows 2008 Enterprise Server granting you the license to install on up to four virtual machines, that may be something worth doing since you are getting new hardware anyway.

I don't run AD or Exchange, but my 08 experience has been a good one so far.
The Core installation takes a bit to get used to as it can be difficult to quickly find the right info as to how to properly admin it, but other than that it's been good.

With ESXi being free, and Windows 2008 Enterprise Server granting you the license to install on up to four virtual machines, that may be something worth doing since you are getting new hardware anyway.

For that you could almost look at just using hyper v although I don't think it is in release status yet and is still beta.

On brand new servers- should work then.

Guess your point about Application compatibility is a good one, but isn't it much like XP-Vista, most apps will work fine???

Server 2008 is considered at sp1 status. They launched it at that. .

Yeah but I don't buy the logic they use now....just cuz the client got released a year ahead of the server version and got SP'd.

It's a fine, stable product, I run it on my laptop instead of Vista. But I'm in no rush to go shove it out on clients...and stumble on discovering incompatibilities along the way.

I am running 2008 ADDS, planning on implementing Exchange later this year. My opinion between 2003 and 08, is that I like 08 better. The Server Manager interface is great. Everything has been working flawlessly so far. My biggest concern with you would be importing users profiles, whether they are local/roaming, and what kind of folder redirection they have. MS has changed how that works quite a bit.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489.aspx

This is a good read that will let you know what you are getting into.

On brand new servers- should work then.

Guess your point about Application compatibility is a good one, but isn't it much like XP-Vista, most apps will work fine???

For the most part yes but with it being a lot more important as this this is working as a host in various ways for everyone in the shop. You need to verify that your apps will work with the respective vendors.

Yeah but I don't buy the logic they use now....just cuz the client got released a year ahead of the server version and got SP'd.

It's a fine, stable product, I run it on my laptop instead of Vista. But I'm in no rush to go shove it out on clients...and stumble on discovering incompatibilities along the way.

Yea it caught me off guard when I first saw it.

My experience with 2008 has been good as well. If you decide you need to stick with Server 2003 at least go R2. It has a couple of extras that got included that are also in 2008.

Server 2008 is the future so keep in mind you're buying software that will be around for a few years whereas 2003 is on the way out. You might also check into the ability to down-grade and run Server 2003 with a Server 2008 license. That way you could buy 2008 but run 2003 if you run into compatibility issues.

Back