server 2003 keep runnning out of disk space

viper92086

Gawd
So i can't figure out what the heck is going on with my windows server 2003. I woke up to the message C drive is out of space. Last time i looked at this pc it had 6gb free (this was last week). i come back and it has 0 free. So i go ahead and start cleaning some old stuff out and manage to get 604mb free. About 5 min later i get the pop up again saying i have no disk space. So i check and its now at 24.3mb. WTF is going on. I then managed to clear out another 100mb. and as i keep refreshing mycomputer i can see the disk space just going lower and lower. I checked all my processes and checked for spyware and viruses. any ideas?

Log files? Updates? Download a program called TreeSize, use it to find out where the disk space is going.

Allan

I will try out the program treesize this afternoon. The server is a fileserver only, no active directory (yea it's a bit overkill to have server 2003 for this purpose, but thats what the servre came with) but all files are stored on a secondary drive, not the primary. I maybe check on the system once a week, but nothing has changed within the past month. thanks

I will try out the program treesize this afternoon. The server is a fileserver only, no active directory (yea it's a bit overkill to have server 2003 for this purpose, but thats what the servre came with) but all files are stored on a secondary drive, not the primary. I maybe check on the system once a week, but nothing has changed within the past month. thanks

Right-click the disk in My Computer and run Disk Cleanup... Also use the option to delete all the old shadow copies and old system restore points in there as well.

Also you might look at downloading and running CCleaner... That'll free up a ton of temp files.

Windirstat is a fantastic program for graphically seeing where all your space is at.

CCleaner is a fantastic program as mentioned above. I had a similar problem with Win2k3. AVG updates were failing and restarting without removing the broken partial downloads and eventually filled my drive.

Log files? Updates? Download a program called TreeSize, use it to find out where the disk space is going.

Allan

Treesize, windirstat, spacemonger, or sequoia view are all good programs to find out where the space is. I personally paid for and use Diskstate, but all of them are quite good :)

everything is up to date and there is nothing odd in task manager. I ended up running a scandisk and also added a page file to a secondary drive in hopes to speed things up as well. So far so good. I gained about 5gb and it hasnt moved. I'll let you guys know if it hits a snag again. thanks

Back