server 2003 help: event id 1030 & 1058

T

troyquigley

i have 2 new freshly installed 2003 servers - trying to finish them up.
when i go into "group policy management" and right click on "default domain policy" i get this error

"failed to open the group policy object. you may not have appropriate rights."
"the network path was not found"

then i go and check even viewer and this is what i get

event id 1030
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

event id 1058
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=mimsdist,DC=local. The file must be present at the location <\\mimsdist.local\sysvol\mimsdist.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (The network path was not found. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

BTW - i get the exact same error on both 2003 servers

i am doing the above on my primary dns server, and its tcp/ip primary dns server address is itself. so the dns is correct

my domain name is "mimsdist.local"

if i ping "mimsdist.local" i get a ping response with the ip address of one of my dns servers

PS
i just did this
start: run:
\\mimsdist.local\sysvol\mimsdist.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00
04FB984F9}\gpt.ini

to make sure the path and everything is ok. and i get this error
"no network provider accepted the given network path."

i have gone and i made sure that the path is valid
\\192.168.0.254\c$\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\mimsdist.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
that is a valid path

troyquigley said:
i am doing the above on my primary dns server, and its tcp/ip primary dns server address is itself. so the dns is correct

my domain name is "mimsdist.local"

if i ping "mimsdist.local" i get a ping response with the ip address of one of my dns servers
Did you check the DNS settings on the two new servers? Can you ping your DC & GC from those two machines?

PS
i just did this
start: run:
\\mimsdist.local\sysvol\mimsdist.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00
04FB984F9}\gpt.ini

to make sure the path and everything is ok. and i get this error
"no network provider accepted the given network path."

i have gone and i made sure that the path is valid
\\192.168.0.254\c$\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\mimsdist.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
that is a valid path
Is SYSVOL shared on your DC? \\192.168.0.254\c$\ is an admin share, not SYSVOL.

And the page I just cached from Google is down, so here's a few things to go over:

To Solve This Problem,

1. Make sure you are able to ping the Workstation by FQDN
2. Simply Enable File and Print Sharing For Microsoft Networks From Properties of Local Area Connection.

Change the Security Policy
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM responses

Make sure client for microsoft networks did not get deleted from the properties of the network connection, that fixed it for me.

I was having problems getting group policy updates with the "no network provider" error. I turned on the TCP/IP Netbios helper service on and set to automatic and I was able to get GP updates.

I had the same issue while pushing out Altiris Clients.

Enabled File and Print exception via GP. Now am able to push to all clients.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngwfw.mspx

Try that out...I know it's kind of hodge-podge.

Another thing to check: If the share that has the SYSVOL is in JRNL_WRAP state ( or something like that ), it will prevent that computer from being a DC until it's resolved. If that's your only DC ( or if it's the GC ), that will cause all sorts of problems.

You can find that information in the event log under File Replication Service.

Sounds like you're having a problem with the DFS/FRS. Can you access \\mimsdist.local\NETLOGON ? Give this a try
Try running dfsutil /PurgeMupCache on them and then restarting them. You can also try /SpcFlush and /PktFlush with a restart.

Back