Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope Early Access

HardOCP News

[H] News
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope will be hitting early access later this month. According to the game's Steam page, SSVR:TLH will be in early access for about six months to give the developers time to finish up the game.

“We love VR! And what better way to showcase that love other than making Serious Sam in VR! Now, we are eager to share Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope to the VR community even before the game is fully finished and ready for Gold (full version) release. We believe SSVR in current state has already the potential to satisfy all VR fans looking for some serious VR love. Meanwhile, we will be adding lots of content and features, while also believing that our community could provide valuable feedback during this EA VR development

is it necessary to have floaty guns or hands or other objects that I guess represent where your wands are. It just looks weird and takes away from the immersion.

yes they represent where your wands are, and without that representation it's actually less immersive

also head-look to aim is just not natural... but who knows maybe they have a mode for that for people with no hands...

^ or you wanna play the game while eating popcorn or sammich... that might be pretty cool

Anyone know exactly how movement is handled in VR? It seems to me that would be the weird thing to get used to in a VR FPS.

I played a demo of this at PAX West using the Oculus Rift and Touch controllers. You don't have real movement control, you stand in pretty much the same place and shoot waves of baddies. Maybe they will add some movement options later but I kind of doubt it.

I don't like the idea of VR with wands. Give me the standard controller and the ability to move.

Great. I went and watched the video. Tonight I shall play some Serious Sam. One of my favorite games of all time. :D

No but I can picture it. VR with Wii style controllers don't appeal to me.

I think it's something that you have to try to really appreciate or understand.... but motion controls are the ONLY way to go with VR. With the Wii/PS move/Connect/etc, you're interacting with something you can't touch and can't see (except for on the TV screen in front of you). In VR, you're interacting with things that are directly in front of you/all around you. I'm sure I'm not really doing it justice, but I think it's something that people have to experience to really understand why it's so important. You're not interacting with stuff in another plane of existence.... you're interacting with stuff on your actual (perceived) plane of existence if that makes sense. You wouldn't use a controller to move around/manipulate your environment in real life, so why would you want to in VR?

Moving around with a controller is not only immersion breaking, but it will also make most people sick fairly quickly. I can see it being useful in some situations (cockpit sims and such), but for almost everything else you want motion controls and roomscale IMO

I think it's something that you have to try to really appreciate or understand.... but motion controls are the ONLY way to go with VR. With the Wii/PS move/Connect/etc, you're interacting with something you can't touch and can't see (except for on the TV screen in front of you). In VR, you're interacting with things that are directly in front of you/all around you. I'm sure I'm not really doing it justice, but I think it's something that people have to experience to really understand why it's so important. You're not interacting with stuff in another plane of existence.... you're interacting with stuff on your actual (perceived) plane of existence if that makes sense. You wouldn't use a controller to move around/manipulate your environment in real life, so why would you want to in VR?

Moving around with a controller is not only immersion breaking, but it will also make most people sick fairly quickly. I can see it being useful in some situations (cockpit sims and such), but for almost everything else you want motion controls and roomscale IMO

Agreed. The immersion is the appeal to VR. Wanting to eat food while playing or doing something else at the same time is not part of this at all. People complain they can't do other tasks while playing these games, if that is the case for someone, then VR is not for them. Looking around with a controller with a flight sim worked for me and was immersive but only because the joystick is part of the experience, same with racing. A FPS game is going to be the hardest to adapt into VR because the experience requires running and sighting down a gun, which is going to be tricky in a livingroom without sacrificing the feel or causing mental confusion (motion sickness).

Why would I want to move around in VR? It is half the reason I play games: exploring the environment. If I can't do anything else other than standing and shooting then what is the point? Not everybody is sensitive to motion sickness. I can move around in VR without feeling sick. If the gameplay is limiting like Kinect and Wii then it is just gimmick, nothing more.

A bunch of VR games are going with teleporting for movement. Vive roomscale stuff lets you move normally within that area. They're still learning what works. The VR controllers are way more accurate than the Wii ones, hardware has come a long way. You can't do the "gun in each hand firing in different directions" with a gamepad like you can with VR controllers. Hard to use effectively but cool as hell. Once you try it you'll understand why they are a must.

I do hope games with teleportation will also provide an option for thumbstick or other analog movement, for those who are not sensitive to that.

Back