Serious Networking problems w. WRT54G (unsure)

Qwertyman

2[H]4U
I'll try and be as frank as possible.

Owned one WRT54G it kept dying, internet would not work at after a few days. Example: Setup Router browse the internet share files blah blah. I get home today around 6 internet still works, come back at ten and its completely dead, but....the light still blinks.

I've powered off and on the router and modem when the computer was off. Now here's the weird thing i can still access the router firmware and share files between two computers that are connected to the router so i'm sure its not a heat issue.There is just no way to browse the internet that portion dies, yet still blinks.

I have the SVEASOFT firmware installed and if i check the status all the IP stats are 0.0.0.0. So now what do I do?

I've heard of drop outs before but not complete dropouts on computers that are directly connected to the computer just those on wireless connections.

Nothing seems to help fix it and i'm not sure if its a network setup issue or something. There has to be a way to solve this problem.

Thanks

if you go into the router and do a DHCP release/renew does the internet work again??

QJ

P.S. Nice to see another Qwerty around here ;)

QwertyJuan said:
if you go into the router and do a DHCP release/renew does the internet work again??

QJ

P.S. Nice to see another Qwerty around here ;)
Hell yeah its nice to see another Qwerty...we rule..

Renewing and Releasing did nothing. .

Ive had similiar experience w/ Linky probs w/ 2 different providers. Was using a Linky router w/ Time Warner. When i moved into a Comcast area, it seamed i lost "synch" w/ the cable modem. I would need to reboot router to get back to Internet. Bought another Linky router (troubleshooting if it was my equipment) & had same issue. Took it back for a DLink & never had a problem. I then purchased another Linky router for parents house so i could work wireless from the lakehouse. They have a small ISP that uses 802.11b for connectivity. Same problem, it worked fine for awhile & then lost Internet. After a router reboot it worked fine again. I now have a new AP so im taking my old DLink down there & hopefully it has better results.

i actually spoke to someone on linksys and they said it might be a problem with the cable modem itself (I also use time warner cable.) I use a toshiba one but i'm going to try and see if i could replace it with something new.

How did you reboot the router? Power off and on, reset or something else?

Qwertyman said:
i actually spoke to someone on linksys and they said it might be a problem with the cable modem itself (I also use time warner cable.) I use a toshiba one but i'm going to try and see if i could replace it with something new.

How did you reboot the router? Power off and on, reset or something else?

My D-Links have an option in the menu to reboot... if not, just unplug for 10seconds.

QJ

QwertyJuan said:
My D-Links have an option in the menu to reboot... if not, just unplug for 10seconds.

QJ

The WRT54G has a 'reset' button you can hit with a paperclip on the back of the router, I think all Linksys home equip is like that, atleast the ones I've used.

I've had mine drop my wireless devices quite commonly and I still dont know why. It would just happen ever 15 seconds the wireless would die and then immediately come back up. It wasnt the tablet because it would work on any other network and never lose connectivity. This happened WITH and without SVEASOFT so I cant blame my issues on the firmware but to be safe have you tried loading a Linksys firmware back into the router?

~Kris

Well the thing is will resetting shut me off from using sveasoft in the future? I bought the router through these forums and Sveasoft was a nice added bonus, but i didn't actually pay for it - it was included. I was reluctant to do something of the sort because of that problem.

I'm going to first try and replace the modem, then i guess i have to go that route...arr...It just doesn't make anysense.

I had nothing but problems with my wrt54g until I flashed a beta bios off siemens site.

Back