Serious Gaming LCD?? A joke or a reality?

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I remember when LCDs first started coming out a few years ago I was excited about them, but kept reading how horrible they were for gaming because of screen lag.

Well, it's been a few years and I've read here and there about LCDs over the years and it seems like the technology has improved a bit.

So my questions is: Are there LCD monitors out there that are as good or better for gaming than a CRT monitor? I spend quite a bit my time on my PC playing FPS games competing in leagues, so I would need the switch from CRT to LCD to be unnoticeable in terms of lag.

Is there such an LCD or do they still not exist and I should keep my 80 pound CRT? :p

-fro

They exist. Anything less than 1 frame of lag will likely be unnoticable by anyone:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=304&p1=2943&ma2=88&mo2=342&p2=3161&ph=12

Screen on the left is good, on the right is bad. Many people will feel lag big time on the Dell.

Great LCD tool Snowdog. Thanks for the link.

BTW, is this mathematicaly possible?

48_304_112.jpg

If the max and the min values =3, how can we get a lower avg?

The Dell 2408wfp is a bad monitor? I was gonna buy it. What would be a good 24" monitor?

The Dell 2408wfp is a bad monitor? I was gonna buy it. What would be a good 24" monitor?

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. Apparently the input lag on the Dells are quite horrendous. From the sounds of it, the BenQ V2400W and G2400W appear to be the best for input lag. Unfortunately they use "TN" panels, meaning tehy have less colour depth, and poor viewing angles.

I'm also in the market fora 24inch monitor, and at this point I think I'm just going to have to go to a store and look at every monitor they have on display.

Great LCD tool Snowdog. Thanks for the link.

BTW, is this mathematicaly possible?

48_304_112.jpg

If the max and the min values =3, how can we get a lower avg?

Just because it is posted on the internet does not make it fact. I personally will not pass judgement on any monitors that I have no experience with. They all very quite a bit even if they use the same panel.

It is a drag that most B&Ms do not carry any high-end or even mid-range LCDs any more, that makes it a gussing game at best.

Dave

You also have to add in response time of the panel (5ms here) so even if the G2400W is truly 1.9avg it's really 6.9ms when counting refresh rate. I have seen another site though that listed the G2400W at 12ms input lag and the V2400W at 6ms.. go figure.

I have measured my V2400W to be in the 13-16ms range which is slightly under 1 frame of lag. I honestly can still tell the difference between CRT and this but it's quite small. Im a fairly serious gamer and I would still play on my CRT's but my only widescreen model (FW900) is huge and impossible to move around the house (my consoles are downstairs and CPU upstairs) so the V2400W is the best bet for me right now. You also have to consider the fact that most CRT's can do over 60hz and IMO up to 85hz or so is an advantage while LCD's are locked at 60. It is possible this isn't a big deal anymore though as I really don't believe that many are still playing on CRT's (except the really die-hard gamers)

You also have to add in response time of the panel (5ms here) so even if the G2400W is truly 1.9avg it's really 6.9ms when counting refresh rate. I have seen another site though that listed the G2400W at 12ms input lag and the V2400W at 6ms.. go figure.

I have measured my V2400W to be in the 13-16ms range which is slightly under 1 frame of lag. I honestly can still tell the difference between CRT and this but it's quite small. Im a fairly serious gamer and I would still play on my CRT's but my only widescreen model (FW900) is huge and impossible to move around the house (my consoles are downstairs and CPU upstairs) so the V2400W is the best bet for me right now. You also have to consider the fact that most CRT's can do over 60hz and IMO up to 85hz or so is an advantage while LCD's are locked at 60. It is possible this isn't a big deal anymore though as I really don't believe that many are still playing on CRT's (except the really die-hard gamers)
I'm still playing on a CRT, but I hope to have that changed by September :) 19inches at 1280*1024 is still quite good for gaming, but it just doesn't cut it anymore from a productivity POV.

edit: Thanks for the info on the V2400W. It's pricey. but it may be worth it. I'm going to see if the local CompuSmart has one on display (they advertise the monitor). Do you think I could convince the manager to let me bring in my 360 and give it a test-drive? lol...

I'm still playing on a CRT, but I hope to have that changed by September :) 19inches at 1280*1024 is still quite good for gaming, but it just doesn't cut it anymore from a productivity POV.

edit: Thanks for the info on the V2400W. It's pricey. but it may be worth it. I'm going to see if the local CompuSmart has one on display (they advertise the monitor). Do you think I could convince the manager to let me bring in my 360 and give it a test-drive? lol...

If they care at all about sales it shoulden't be a problem. The V2400W is a nice monitor. If I wasn't *extremely* picky about input lag I probably woulden't even notice it. IMO I think under 1frame of lag is OK for serious gaming. I moved my gaming over from my Westinghouse 42" (30ms of input lag) and my scores immedietely jumped in CSS. Color accuarcy is good for a TN and contrast if fiddled with a bit is not too bad for an LCD. Colors are a little dull but IMO more accurate than most other monitors oversatured look.

Keep the AMA and Digital contrast OFF though. After a bit more time with the monitor I can tell the digital contrast option adds lag and the AMA adds a bit as well. I don't think it showed up in my photographs with my CRT but I can feel the difference with AMA on and off.

Good luck!

If they care at all about sales it shoulden't be a problem. The V2400W is a nice monitor. If I wasn't *extremely* picky about input lag I probably woulden't even notice it. IMO I think under 1frame of lag is OK for serious gaming. I moved my gaming over from my Westinghouse 42" (30ms of input lag) and my scores immedietely jumped in CSS. Color accuarcy is good for a TN and contrast if fiddled with a bit is not too bad for an LCD. Colors are a little dull but IMO more accurate than most other monitors oversatured look.

Keep the AMA and Digital contrast OFF though. After a bit more time with the monitor I can tell the digital contrast option adds lag and the AMA adds a bit as well. I don't think it showed up in my photographs with my CRT but I can feel the difference with AMA on and off.

Good luck!

Thanks!

My current monitor is a SyncMaster 957MB, which is pretty good for a CRT. Of course that's back at my old place, and I haven't used it in over 3 months (I've been surviving with a 20inch RCA SDTV and a laptop) so I think that virtually any LCD monitor will look like a huge improvement, provided that I don't ever hook up my CRT again!

This has beating to death...
LCD monitors are good for gaming but CRT remains king.
Most peoples are happy with their LCD.

Are there LCD monitors out there that are as good or better for gaming than a CRT monitor?

No. Even the best LCD will still be limited by 60hz refresh rate. Sometimes the smaller ones can do 75hz but that is rare.

Back