Serial ATA not as fast as IDE ATA 133?

Paintaker

n00b
I was reading a review on [H] on the DFI Lan Party Ultra B and I could swear it stated that Serial ATA drives are not as fast as IDE ATA 133.

Am I missing something? Did I misread the article? I was under the impression the Serial ATA was the fastest IDE solution available right now. (RAID Aside)

It's got the potential to be the fastest (150 MB/s maximum versus 133 MB/s). The fact is that Serial ATA drives, with the exception of the Raptor series, are no faster than their parallel ATA counterparts. In the future you will see a small difference, but right now they're nearly identical in terms of performance.

I think I read somewhere that the only real advantage over PATA is that SATA uses less CPU overhead. It's only a couple percent though.

SATA will be faster when all drives support it natively. With the bridged drives, there really isn't any gain.

I say the biggest advantage is cable size. I hate ide cables.

Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
SATA will be faster when all drives support it natively. With the bridged drives, there really isn't any gain.
That's not entirely true. Seagate's Serial ATA drives feature a bridgeless design but still "suck" in terms of performance.

I still think that SATA drives are better than IDE other than the obvious reasons. My access times on my Maxtor are better than my IDE drives and I definitely love the cable too.

My only true complaint with them is that my motherboard has failed to detect my sole SATA drive lately. I have it working again, but it has scared me half to death, since it's what I boot Windows from. The technology is sound, but like a 64 bit operating system, it's just a matter of time before it becomes more accepted and a standard.

Dark Assassin

Originally posted by xonik
That's not entirely true. Seagate's Serial ATA drives feature a bridgeless design but still "suck" in terms of performance.

Agreed, however, I was referring to a time when PATA had been erased due to obsolescence. As a result SATA would be much faster:D .

when has segate ever produced a real competative drive? i wouldnt count on seagate being the mark of all sata drives. sata has advantages even if its bridged. i rather a bridged sata than a pata drive right now, honestly. also the combinations and the amount of drives you can have when considering a modern os is a great perk e.g ich5r alone=6 ide/atapi devices.

Your forgetting that just because the interface is faster, doesn't mean the drives are faster. The physical part of looking for data on a drive is just as slow with PATA, but in the future. SATA will be the way to go.

Its the same argument with 64bit vs 32bit. Right now not a big difference, but there will be.

Originally posted by shaihulud
when has segate ever produced a real competative drive?

a decade ago, i remember when Seagates were cosidered creme de la creme :D

now it's western digital and with good reason

Back