Sequel Middle Earth: Shadow of War Confirmed

Too early to call GOTY, but all the lootbox crybabies will be unhappy to know the scores are looking pretty good!

Nothing like moneyhats!!!!

Ok sooo I'm right at the beginning of the game and when my character talks to the chick in the black dress when he talks I hear no audio, but she talks ok?

Nevermind, something weird with my headphones.

Shadow of War has an orc who will hunt you down and sing to you
http://www.pcgamer.com/singer-shadow-of-war/

I thought that was pretty darn funny. ;)

I ran into him on stream and everyone was laughing. Absolutely hilarious all the way down to the point where I pinned his foot, blew up a stack of grog and shadow strike executed him.

Also had a run in early on in Minas Ithil with a highly effeminate Orc. Apparently I killed him earlier without a direction engagement, he cheated death and ambushed me. I was not expecting that at all, lol. There have been some astoundingly funny or crazy moments with this Nemesis system thus far. I've already shamed a few captains into being Deranged but I'm looking forward to making one a Maniac!

It's only the basic in-game currency chests. The good ones (which people have been complaining about) are handled server-side and can't be obtained with cheats, only by purchasing them.
So it's not newsworthy at all and it's just clickbait.

Yea I don't own the game, so know nothing of the chests, just saw that posted on Reddit, should have known it was clickbait since almost everything on Reddit is clickbait.

Finally had some time tonight to mess with it a bit. I ran with the settings it picked for "Auto Config" (which is pretty much "ultra" everything) and with G-Sync and SLI on, it makes my Titans actually work!

Main card was at 85% load the secondary at 82% load and the game was buttery smooth at 3440x1440.

Cards run a bit hotter than usual with this, though that's not surprising I guess considering its utilizing 2 Titans at over 80%. Even FFXIV maxed out doesn't heat them up like this game does.

When a game supports SLI well, it really shows, shame its such a rare thing.

Finally had some time tonight to mess with it a bit. I ran with the settings it picked for "Auto Config" (which is pretty much "ultra" everything) and with G-Sync and SLI on, it makes my Titans actually work!

Main card was at 85% load the secondary at 82% load and the game was buttery smooth at 3440x1440.

Cards run a bit hotter than usual with this, though that's not surprising I guess considering its utilizing 2 Titans at over 80%. Even FFXIV maxed out doesn't heat them up like this game does.

When a game supports SLI well, it really shows, shame its such a rare thing.

Be sure you take the time to check individual settings in the menus like the resolutions and so forth.

Be sure you take the time to check individual settings in the menus like the resolutions and so forth.

Here's a shot of what "Auto" config picked. I tried with and without the Large Page Mode set and having it on definitely helps keep things smoother. The rest I haven't really touched yet. It runs and looks so good, I probably wont mess with it.

mDLYF10.jpg

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Game's kinda boring. All of the fights feel the same, sure each captain has different perks and character traits but it's still the same fight.
Combat and stealth mechanics are too forgiving, especially the stealth.

I haven't unlocked Branding yet. Maybe things will pick up when I can build an Orc army. But TBH I didn't really like the first game either.

Like every other game these days it's murdering my 980 Ti at 1080p. Where are those 1080 Ti sales...

Game's kinda boring. All of the fights feel the same, sure each captain has different perks and character traits but it's still the same fight.
Combat and stealth mechanics are too forgiving, especially the stealth.

I haven't unlocked Branding yet. Maybe things will pick up when I can build an Orc army. But TBH I didn't really like the first game either.

Like every other game these days it's murdering my 980 Ti at 1080p. Where are those 1080 Ti sales...

Set your fps target at 30. You'll never notice a framerate hiccup. It runs flawlessly on my 980ti.

And if you didn't like the first game I don't know why you would pick this up. Branding orcs and expanding is the same as the previous game but there are betrayals, ambushes, death-cheating, etc that absolutely spice it up.

The best---and most time consuming---part is preparing your orcs for fortress assaults. It's goddamn nuts and hugely entertaining.

Too early to call GOTY, but all the lootbox crybabies will be unhappy to know the scores are looking pretty good!

HOW THAT CAN BE ?

mild shock :eek:

Apparently the crates are insignificant loot-wise. But I wonder how many of those reviewers actually completed the game? I hear the premium crates make the ending a lot less grindy.

Apparently the crates are insignificant loot-wise. But I wonder how many of those reviewers actually completed the game? I hear the premium crates make the ending a lot less grindy.

I think the last chapter really depends on how much you leveled up your orcs and stuff prior to it. But we'll see as more and more people get that far. I haven't even had enough time to get past the first chapter yet.

And if you didn't like the first game I don't know why you would pick this up. Branding orcs and expanding is the same as the previous game but there are betrayals, ambushes, death-cheating, etc that absolutely spice it up.
Because he didn't pick it up. He p2p'd.

Pirates tip their hand with their tendency to be "meh" and joyless about most titles, since they aren't invested and it's a meaningless experience for them.

Many games don't immediately "click" until you spend the time to explore the nuances and smell the roses, which pirates don't have time to do because the next AAA shiny around the corner creates a kind of impatience.

Which, cool, they stuck it to the Man or whatever. But then they shit up threads lamenting how boring every game is.

Last edited:
I'm still having a blast with it. I wouldn't go as far as GOTY hype or anything like that but this is a damned good game and fun. Unless I have some breakdown this is a good 8.5/10 in my book.

Yep. Loving that too. Picking all the collectibles, doing side activities and such. Though to truly embrace Nemesis you have to die a lot :)

Also the scenery is great. The fortress at Cirith Ungol were Frodo was held, Minas still Ithil was great too. It even balance a bit Shelob as chick, another ring of power and all the things which make Tolkien fanatic inside me cry at every cutscene.

Can anything actually kill you besides Drakes? For all the other enemies I've done the QTE and survived. I do get KO'd a lot.

Are you able to take control of captains from the begining of the game, or is that an ability you unlock? I'm trying my best to take control over them (hold B on the xbox controller) but always get rejected. To add, the PC graphics look good, but not as great as I hoped for. Perhaps it may be time to upgrade from my 1440p monitor.

Well I got the branding ability, captured like 4 Captains and I think I'm done. I might play through 1 fort assault just to see what it's like.
Core gameplay loop is not enjoyable for me. I also don't like all the unskippable talking cinematics that happen every time you encounter a boss orc and the repetitive "Kill 10 guards to draw out the captain". I don't find any of this compelling at all.

Bring on Assassin's Creed!

Are you able to take control of captains from the begining of the game, or is that an ability you unlock? I'm trying my best to take control over them (hold B on the xbox controller) but always get rejected. To add, the PC graphics look good, but not as great as I hoped for. Perhaps it may be time to upgrade from my 1440p monitor.
No you get that ability at the end of Act 1. There's a long, multi-part tutorial covering it. If you had the ability, you'd know.

It is a pretty repetitive grind, but if you stick with it the real fun comes when the Captains get to around level 40. They can get pretty challenging if you aren't collecting your intelligence. And you can have scenarios where you attack one captain, but get a blood-brother shows up out of nowhere, an assassin drops, and you get ambushed at the same time. I have stretched the skin around the blood vessels in my head, lol. Some of the Captain cinematics are pretty awesome.

But I can see how they want to encourage purchasing loot boxes.

To say what someone else did already, if you just don't check the box for the terms, you can accept and skip all online functions.

Reactions: DPI
like this
What HUD elements are you all turning off if any? I find them overboard and distracting but certain things like combat mini prompts for example, how would you still get your second wind? The button to push and the timing, how would that work? Idk, when I start scrolling over each of em I feel like they're kind of necessary.

I went ahead and bought the Silver Edition off CDKeys. I couldn't really see the point in buying the Gold one. Installing now! :cry::cry::cry::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Had to quit playing because my fingers were strained. I got super lost doing only Vendetta missions. I think they're called that... the ones where you avenge some stranger from online. I think I did like six of those in a row.

When do you get to actually use your orc guys? I've done like two missions in the second area.

I've played almost 60 hours of this. It's batshit-crazy fun.

Also, spoiler
ifLDDDc.png

I may have taken his treachery personally. Take that, you Level 1 son of a bitch!

Bwahahaha

I could be wrong since I only have 10hrs in or so, but the whole crate system doesn't seem bad at all.

You get so much currency by playing the game to buy crates that the tradeoff doesn't seem like a big deal.

Somehow I already have 4 Purple Legendary minions. Just haven't got far enough along to use them.

I've earned a few of the gold ones by doing daily quests. I currently have all the fortresses upgraded and have about 20-30 legendary gear in my inventory that I haven't bothered to upgrade yet---though most of the legendary stuff is pretty shit, to be honest. I'm much more happy with affixes like 34% ranged damage reduction, poison immunity or unlimited might after killing a captain for 9 seconds. On that last one, I'll say this: if you have the Elf-shot available for it you can spam the hell out of the Mighty Shot skill and burn/freeze/poison everything in sight.

I'm currently at 90k Mirian. Saving up for when I hit level 60 so I can purchase a bunch of the Mirian crates (1500 Mirian) for captains.

Anyone else find the mouse acceleration super annoying? I remember the first gaming have similar issues but don't regard it being as bad a this. I'll switch to the XB1 controller to see if the gamepad controls are better.

I didn't notice anything other than the super floaty camera. It was impossible to play with vsync on.
The FOV mod helped too.

How in the world do you guys play this with keyboard and mouse???? It feels right at home with a 360 controller.
With the KBM you can have dual directional controls (WASD + Mouse) without sacrificing any other inputs. With a gamepad, you have to use your right thumb, which means you can't hit any of the other face buttons while rotating your camera.

Frankly I don't know how people play with a gamepad. Maybe I just spin my camera too much.

How in the world do you guys play this with keyboard and mouse???? It feels right at home with a 360 controller.

So, in Act 2 you can upgrade the fortresses?

I'll be honest: that was so long ago I can't remember.

Also, the only thing holding this game down in anyway is the camera and the "targeting." When I'm trying to revive a friendly Captain that's right in front of me with clear line of sight and I turn around and start draining an archer 20ft behind me, well, it's fucking annoying. Even more when that Captain bleeds out. I've lost a lot of good orcs because of that and it's frustrating as shit. I'm going to try the fov mod next time I play which should help with the self-defense issues with the camera to some degree, at least.

I just continue to enjoy the hell out of this game. You really can't go wrong with either KBM or controls, either.

Hope whoever fights my fortress in Gorgoroth has a fun time:
tVpnKm9.png

All 7 spots are Olog-hai with the Overlord at 50 and everyone else at 54 or higher. I'm working on getting 2 bodyguards for each save for the Overlord, obviously. I learned tonight that your defense rating goes up the better your fortress performs in an online conquest. I wasn't sure if you actually earned anything for a successful defense or at least preventing them from achieving gold.

Btw, check the daily quests. There was a 260 gold Olog-hai reinforcement pack for doing one of the quests today and it provided some nice orcs.

I got that reward just by randomly trying my first Online Conquest. I've read reports that you earn more from doing Conquests by tanking your elo rating. Tank it down to near zero then you get easy fortresses to attack for 4-5 times.

How did you guys go about levelling....? Did you blow through the missions to get to rank 50 or so, or did you putz around in each area before moving on? I ask because I'm 26hrs in and only just conquered my second fortress.

Back