Sequel Middle Earth: Shadow of War Confirmed

Well I just don't like them being in the game at all. I'll still pass for now until the game is dirt cheap and a GOTY version is out. Too many game in my library to play without loot boxes or strings attached. ;)

Benchmark time! Running high setting textures as ultra exceeds the the memory requirement. Running TAA and I think Ultra everything else at 1080p
9HCJTPD.png

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The controversy is overblown and I'm glad outlets are picking that up. The microtransactions in thisare 100 percent ignorable, avoidable, and complete nonfactors.

This game is sweet. If you liked the first one, prepare for awesome. All the goodies are there. All the graphics options are there. KBM and controls both work great.

Good to hear, thanks man. I'll take a [H]ard perspective over an outlet's any day of the week. (y)

Well I just don't like them being in the game at all. I'll still pass for now until the game is dirt cheap and a GOTY version is out. Too many game in my library to play without loot boxes or strings attached. ;)

Certainly your call but honestly? The loot box thing is a non factor here *in this form.*

This game is going to sell like hotcakes anyways.

Good to hear, thanks man. I'll take a [H]ard perspective over an outlet's any day of the week. (y)

Let me state this: I don't like where things are headed potentially with this concept. Unfortunately I've seen with my own eyes something like this: On Mass Effect Andromeda when I was looking for something I ended up on the unofficial Bioware forums and to make a long story short... people were bitching out some guy who spent at least $100, I kid you not, on some of their Apex mission goodies? Or however that worked?

My point is: Whether it's Ubisoft, EA, WB...it's a cyncial cash grab to be sure but it works. All they need is a handful of guys like that to go for it and it's more than worth it.

If it stays the way it is where it's just one of several normal menu options and there's NO bearing on the game itself past glorified shortcuts? I'm fine with it. I can live with the things the way they are if they do not go any further. :)

We all know someone is going to flirt with that line at some point. That's the problem. I guess we'll cross that bridge if... when...we get there.

This is a sweet game. Definitely an upgrade in terms of variety of locales, color, detail... if you're a fan of the first game you will eat this up, hands down.

Same here, I plan on grabbing down the road, my backlog is insane. I played the first one and that kicked ass. I never beat it, but I got pretty far.

My backlog is so insane it would be insane for me to buy this game and pay full price let alone thinking I have the time to play it.
Game has to be really over the top for me to purchase these days.

2017 purchase list is something like:

Conan Exiles
Prey
Tyranny
Divinity Original Sin 2
I am Setsuna
Hitman
Sniper Elite 4
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
Call of Duty WWII

Well I played a good three hours last night. Took a lot for me to pull away to be honest. I am not a side quest person but the motivation for the gear and the gear sets are enough to invest me. I did like 2 story missions in that entire period of time.. I was just enjoying the game.

Combat is like the first, if you liked the batman games combat its the same. I am not sure how the army system works just yet. There is a lot of customization, with gems that go into weapons and all these sub skills. Its been awhile since I have been itching to play a game this bad. I am excited for the weekend

This is a sweet game. Definitely an upgrade in terms of variety of locales, color, detail... if you're a fan of the first game you will eat this up, hands down.
I haven't finished the first game (about 60% so far), but love the overall game world, challenge and the tough to beat Warchiefs. They really nailed the combat/stealth mechanics in this game.

Looking forward to the new one.

I'm just glad they included difficulty levels. Because I suck at the combat, I got stuck on Shadow of Mordor and never finished it.

So I plan on using the easy difficulty to start out the game and see how I do. I can always change it if starts getting too easy for me.

I'm just glad they included difficulty levels. Because I suck at the combat, I got stuck on Shadow of Mordor and never finished it.

So I plan on using the easy difficulty to start out the game and see how I do. I can always change it if starts getting too easy for me.
The only thing hard with the first game are some of the Warchiefs. Once you upgrade to more combat skills, hordes of orcs surrounding you is a breeze. Stealth is king, but doesn't always work depending on each encounter.

This is probably the only game I've been looking forward to in the last 5 years. I got to something like 98% completion on shadow of mordor & I finished it. Didn't go back to do the side quests. With that being said, I'm waiting until this drops to $20 as that is what I have in steam credit from market sales....

Kind of also hoping there is a sequel to Mad Max as well...loved that game.

Looks like no Linux version of this at the outset :( Come on FI....do your thing!

Last edited:
Well I played a good three hours last night. Took a lot for me to pull away to be honest. I am not a side quest person but the motivation for the gear and the gear sets are enough to invest me. I did like 2 story missions in that entire period of time.. I was just enjoying the game.

Combat is like the first, if you liked the batman games combat its the same. I am not sure how the army system works just yet. There is a lot of customization, with gems that go into weapons and all these sub skills. Its been awhile since I have been itching to play a game this bad. I am excited for the weekend

I've spent the same amount of time, had a similar gameplay experience and came away with similar first impressions.

The game runs fantastic, looks great and the gameplay is excellent. Subtle tweaks to combat and the general traversal have improved on the overall feel from the first game. It has a massive amount of PC specific settings which is always great to see.

wgiQo3y.jpg

BOScRtT.jpg

COvTkAq.jpg

Was about to pull the trigger and buy it but just read about the locked 60 FOV with devs stating no plans to change it.

Third or first person , that's way too narrow for me to enjoy.

Was about to pull the trigger and buy it but just read about the locked 60 FOV with devs stating no plans to change it.

That sucks. Flawless Widescreen might have an option to fix it. Check PC Gaming Wiki for a possible fix as well. It might be take a bit for the FOV fix to show up.

yeah usually I need a bigger FOV especially for shooters. this hasnt bothered me too much tho.

I wouldn't sweat an arbitrary number, and just play the game as the devs intended.

*So far* the FOV isn't bothering me. It seems like it's the same as it was in part 1 but I'd have to check. I wouldn't mind a slider for adjustment. It would be a fairly easy add if they felt like it which, so far, sounds like no. Too bad. Even going from 60 to 65 would be nice. Or 70.

So, what is different compared to the first game?

After reading this thread I went back and binge played the first one. Finished it after like 18hrs played. I never even saved up enough points to unlock the ultimate skills lmao.

*So far* the FOV isn't bothering me. It seems like it's the same as it was in part 1 but I'd have to check. I wouldn't mind a slider for adjustment. It would be a fairly easy add if they felt like it which, so far, sounds like no. Too bad. Even going from 60 to 65 would be nice. Or 70.

On the Steam forums someone said they talked to one of the devs (On reddit or the official forums or something) and were told that they didn't plan to add a slider due to the game changing FOV during specific points. So it will be up to users to figure it out.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
So, what is different compared to the first game?

After reading this thread I went back and binge played the first one. Finished it after like 18hrs played. I never even saved up enough points to unlock the ultimate skills lmao.

Its very similar, they added weapon drops for sword,dagger,bow,armor,cape

you can have armor sets / think diablo

you can have gems in your weapons / think diablo again (life steal, add chance to drop, increased weapon damage )

more skills and then branches into those skills (dont remember the first)

Too early to call GOTY, but all the lootbox crybabies will be unhappy to know the scores are looking pretty good!

My AMD 7950 runs the first one on High at 1080. Don't feel any fps drop. Would imagine your 1050 is fine.

I may wait until all of the content has been released & everything has been patched before I decide to take another swing at buying this. I still believe that WB Games is ethically bankrupt with trying to peddle loot boxes to us though.

I like the in-game benchmark. Not sure how accurate it is, but I like that it shows frametime and other information. Since the game has the option for dynamic resolution I'm wondering, does anyone know a way to monitor resolution in-game? I'm curious what my actual res is with dynamic res on when running the benchmark. Neither Afterburner or Precision have options for it in their OSDs.

Played a ridiculous amount of this today. It's absolutely fucking HUGE and the combat is way more crazy and violent compared to the first. The only real problem I've had is getting stuck in some areas and not being able to move nor defend myself due to the camera going apeshit. Also, when you're defending the breach of the gate of Minas Ithil my god was that frustrating. The Drake was maddeningly difficult to avoid taking huge damage from as the second you get the notification of him dropping those fire bombs it's already too late. Throw in those damn hunter spear throwers and it's a recipe for dying continually until you dump enough arrows into the Captain's head and kill him.

Aside from that I'm super happy with it thus far.

Just started the intro movie last night before bed. Is the flashback movie suppossed to not have any voices? I dont get any speaking audio until the spider lady is shown.

Just started the intro movie last night before bed. Is the flashback movie suppossed to not have any voices? I dont get any speaking audio until the spider lady is shown.

Yup I noticed the same thing when I started it, so apparently they designed it that way.

Performance is pretty dang good. Running the game maxed out at 1080p, with dynamic res off, and my fps is hovering around the 90-100 mark most of the time.

Its funny, if I chose to let it auto set the settings, it maxes out everything and the bar shows that it wants more memory than my system has. (system memory, not GPU memory!)

At 3440x1440 I can maintain better than 60 FPS though it does struggle at times. Some more CPU power (and I guess system memory!) might help that. :p

Wish I had more time to mess with it during the week.

yiK9a09.jpg

Shadow of War has an orc who will hunt you down and sing to you
http://www.pcgamer.com/singer-shadow-of-war/

I thought that was pretty darn funny. ;)

Lots of funny stuff in the game really. Well maybe not everyone will be sensitive to that type of humour but I certainly laugh a lot while playing it. Between the guy that keeps cheating death and the poet I met last night it's been a hell lot of fun.

Also I get stellar performance with a 1080 ti in 1440p. About 100fps average (in the benchmark but game feels great even during large scale battles) on ultra with 4k textures (8GB+ VRAM usage lol). Looks like I'm CPU bound though ([email protected]), my GPU isn't getting hot at all and my case isn't hot to the touch either.
Doesn't look amazing though, good but not jaw dropping.

Lots of funny stuff in the game really. Well maybe not everyone will be sensitive to that type of humour but I certainly laugh a lot while playing it. Between the guy that keeps cheating death and the poet I met last night it's been a hell lot of fun.

I agree. Excellent sound design, music, some witty writing and good voice acting.

That cheat death orc showed up a third time on me and I couldn't believe it. I'll laugh if he's an inside joke and every so often he just coming and coming...

Also I get stellar performance with a 1080 ti in 1440p. About 100fps average (in the benchmark but game feels great even during large scale battles) on ultra with 4k textures (8GB+ VRAM usage lol). Looks like I'm CPU bound though ([email protected]), my GPU isn't getting hot at all and my case isn't hot to the touch either.
Doesn't look amazing though, good but not jaw dropping.

Game looks and runs great. No complaints there at all. This game is sweet and any fan of the first game should dive in with no hesitation.

I've never given the microstransactions a look or a second thought.

There's a potentially bigger and more offensive variant of this on Star Wars Battlefront 2 that hopefully gets addressed before the final game release.

Cdkeys had it for 35 when release was approaching (not anymore), but I read on IGN that it will be a promo for 1080 & 1080Tis. I have a Ti so I'm hoping to score a game voucher for a good price in a wee bit. I did just beat the last one. I did think it was a little repetitive, but by the time I really felt this way, my character was becoming a head popping badass, and that carried me through. Definitely a good game. I think/hope they have addressed the repetition some, but it won't kill me to wait a bit since it was basically the very last game I played, and I don't get a ton of game play time.

Played it for a few hours last night and had a blast. I loved the first game, and this one seems like an improved version of the original with some added complexity (ie gear and gems). This is one of the few games where I actually try to do side missions and collectables. I love the Batman combat system, and SoM/W make it even more brutal and over the top. As far as loot boxes go, they don't seem to be required at all. I'm only at the beginning of the game, but hopefully that holds out.

I've run across some pretty funny captains. I, too, have one guy that keeps cheating death only to run away every time he finds me. I also found this one guy that was dual-wielding axes that literally said "enraged by everything" lol. That fight was interesting since he was so aggressive and did a ton of damage.

Last edited:
Back