Sequel Middle Earth: Shadow of War Confirmed

Johnked6

[H]ard|Gawd
It's up for preorder on Target,

http://intl.target.com/p/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-gold-edition-playstation-4/-/A-52315106

Gold Edition includes:
• Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
• The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
• Gold War Chest
• Over $125 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more.

Experience an epic open-world brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Forge a new Ring of Power, conquer Fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with your personal Orc army in Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™.

So a sequel to Shadow of Mordor? That's been on my list for some time.. decent? Worth the play through?

So a sequel to Shadow of Mordor? That's been on my list for some time.. decent? Worth the play through?

Yes, this is the sequel to the first. It'll be interesting to see what they added to the original. I edited the title to clarify.

Last edited:

Oh yeah. Nemesis system's potential has yet to be fully tapped and it's something that I could see used for more ambitious concepts down the road.

I hope this forthcoming sequel expands on some of the promise. There could be more to this series than what the already fun first game showed us.

Yes this sequel is coming soon and I expect much better combat animations and death animations than its predecessor.

What do you guys think of the combat here?

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
the first game was a sleeper hit that no one was expecting to be good...now that expectations have been raised I hope the developer can match the gameplay to people's heightened expectations and not just rehash the first game

the first game was a sleeper hit that no one was expecting to be good...now that expectations have been raised I hope the developer can match the gameplay to people's heightened expectations and not just rehash the first game

Maybe we'll get to go in Dwarven mines, Elven cities, & Mordor fortresses. I loved Arkham City, so if they got it going where I can totally go stealth, I'd love it.

Steam has it up for preorder... $59.99/$79.99/$99.99 :eek:

SILVER EDITION $79.99
SOW_SILVER.jpg

Pre-order now and forge your army with:
• Legendary Champions War Party
• Exclusive Epic Sword of Dominion

Silver Edition includes:
• Silver War Chest
• Over $95 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth.

GOLD EDITION $99.99
SOW_GOLD.jpg

Pre-order now and forge your army with:
• Legendary Champions War Party - 4 Legendary Champions from different tribes for your Army
• Exclusive Epic Sword of Dominion

Gold Edition includes:
• The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
• The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
• Gold War Chest
• Over $135 in total value

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more

I know preorders are bad but getting all expansions in one purchase would mean I wouldn't have to think about getting any other DLC after release (if they're looking to keep it that way). I don't intend to do microtransactions, so I hope that any version of this game is well worth the money spent.

Steam has it up for preorder... $59.99/$79.99/$99.99

don't forget the GameStop exclusive Mithril Edition for the low price of $300 :blackeye:

Included in the package comes the "Gold Edition" of the game alongside a steelbook case, a war chest, 12" Balrog vs. Carnan Drake statue, the soundtrack, a cloth map of Mordor, a magnetic replica of the "Power Ring," a collection of lithographs, a sticker pack and a collector's box...

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/m...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-NCMR8MYnG0epoi4JyAPovQ

Eh. Having recently played and finished it, whilst it provided plenty of entertainment for the $10 paid I honestly don't think it is as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. It introduces some interesting mechanics like the nemesis system, but that becomes pretty superfluous once your character achieves excessively powerful abilities which mostly allowed me to brute force kill any war chief without having to bother with the rigmarole of the nemesis system. The side missions also become repetitive and tedious, and are mostly unnecessary unless you want to max out abilities and powers which again I couldn't be bothered doing. Monolith also took a page out of Ubi's open world design book by stuffing the world full of useless collectibles which don't really add much except to pad out potential gameplay time.

Probably the worst aspect was the enemy spawning system, orcs would often spawn instantly outside the field of view despite the area being utterly deserted seconds beforehand. This made for a jarring and contrived experience. I personally think GTA and the early Arkham and Assassins Creed games did a better job of creating an immersive sand box experience, but I suppose if you are a fan of Lord of the Rings then this is probably one of the better if not best games of that license.

Eh. Having recently played and finished it, whilst it provided plenty of entertainment for the $10 paid I honestly don't think it is as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. It introduces some interesting mechanics like the nemesis system, but that becomes pretty superfluous once your character achieves excessively powerful abilities which mostly allowed me to brute force kill any war chief without having to bother with the rigmarole of the nemesis system. The side missions also become repetitive and tedious, and are mostly unnecessary unless you want to max out abilities and powers which again I couldn't be bothered doing. Monolith also took a page out of Ubi's open world design book by stuffing the world full of useless collectibles which don't really add much except to pad out potential gameplay time.

Probably the worst aspect was the enemy spawning system, orcs would often spawn instantly outside the field of view despite the area being utterly deserted seconds beforehand. This made for a jarring and contrived experience. I personally think GTA and the early Arkham and Assassins Creed games did a better job of creating an immersive sand box experience, but I suppose if you are a fan of Lord of the Rings then this is probably one of the better if not best games of that license.

I felt the story was pretty good (some plot holes though) but I really enjoyed being fully powered up. This helped with the randomly appearing mobs since it didn't take me long to eliminate them. I'm hoping for leaps in improvement if they paid attention to all of the other action-adventure sandbox games that are top notch.

Agreed - end game was really enjoyable on shadow of Mordor. I felt overpowered, could take on 3-5 bosses at once and rarely fear death. The progression from being overwhelmed by a single captain at the beginning to end game demi-god was very satisfying.

I agree the side quests sucked, and I almost quit the game out of tiediom, but then I realized I should skip the side quests mostly and just progress the main story and enjoyed the game much more that way.

don't forget the GameStop exclusive Mithril Edition for the low price of $300 :blackeye:

I've just got no room for that statue or the box at the moment due to living conditions, so odds are I'll snag the Gold Digital, esp if I see a sale on it. :)

The first one was just a fun way to go in, slaughter stuff and walk away when I needed to tend to RL. Was a great "need to kill off an hour doing something" game.

Granted I'd typically put in 3-4 hours at a stretch some times.... ;)

One of the few games I had NO trouble finishing at all. It was fun and addicting enough that I never felt like I had to "force" myself at any point to get to the next segment -- which for me, can be pretty rare. Definitely expecting the same from this sequel.

Shadow of War system requirements revealed...I'm beginning to wonder if there's any point in upgrading my GTX 970...another game with a 970 listed as the 'recommended' spec...

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel i5-2550K, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670 | Radeon HD 7950
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 60 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 970 or GeForce GTX 1060 | Radeon R9 290X or Radeon RX 480
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 60 GB available space

No comments on the trailer? Whether the game sucks or not, that trailer was badass.

This'll be a console purchase for me.

SoM was an excellent couch game....

I wonder, how much more can the game developers rape Tolkien lore. First game was pushing it. But now? 2nd ring of power? War in Mordor between Sauron and undead ranger? WTF were plot writers smoking when they came with that idea?

From lore reasons, I'm not touching it with 10 foot pole.

I wonder, how much more can the game developers rape Tolkien lore. First game was pushing it. But now? 2nd ring of power? War in Mordor between Sauron and undead ranger? WTF were plot writers smoking when they came with that idea?

From lore reasons, I'm not touching it with 10 foot pole.

Your loss.

The first game was basically a prequel to the lord of the rings books. They had the okay by the Tolkien estate for their plot. As well as some input on the project. From what I read the game developers tried to not offend the hardcore fans.

I read and enjoyed the books, I loved the Peter Jackson movies. (I liked the movies more than the books-how often can you say that? -almost never!!!) I enjoyed the first game from 2014 quite a bit. As a casual, non Gandalf robe wearing fan level, it's great fun to get more content in this universe.

If you are that tied up into the lore to be offended by the first game (when the surviving family estate isn't) you might consider reevaluating your priorities in life. ;)

Last edited:
Based on this, it sounds bonkers... and I'm looking forward to it a lot!

http://kotaku.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-wars-nemesis-system-is-about-fr-1793067914

This orc managed to corner Talion and start choking the life out of him, but then the Nemesis System kicked in again, this time with added friendship. One of Talion’s warchiefs, an archer orc named Mozu Deadeye, loosed an arrow in the nick of time, eliminating the traitorous orc in gruesome fashion. Then several different varieties of shit hit the fan all at once.

First, a clearly deranged dancing orc, upon witnessing the death of the orc Talion’s warchief killed, dumped oil on Talion’s frontline. Then he set everybody on fire. In retaliation, Talion freed a dragon from a cage, which he scaled and used his ghost elf powers to “dominate.” The result? A fully flyable dragon.

After soaring between buildings and lighting somewhere in the neighborhood of a whole neighborhood of orcs on fire, Talion flew his dragon into a cave troll. The dragon didn’t fare so well, but neither did the cave troll, and Talion was able to capitalize. He was then able to waltz into the fortress’ main keep, where he encountered its overlord.

I' just *now* playing the 1st one. It's really good, looking forward to playing this one in uh.. 6 or 7 years :/

I have a "no preorder" policy for all developers beside CDPR. But unless this ends up being buggy mess, I'll definitely pick it up. One of the few games in the last few years I couldn't get enough of.

I played the first one for the first time in the last year. It had a intoxicating fighting rythm, it was super smooth by end game, almost played like a beat or rythm based game in the fighting sequences. I really enjoyed it, and it's one of those that frankly I might have rated it a B while playing it, but looking back it's probably a strong A. It's got one of the best combat systems in a game I've ever encountered, and the nemesis system was unique.

This might be full price pickup for me. (which I VERY rarely do) Didn't hurt that it had about the best Eyefinity/Surround play (using Flawless Widescreen app) of any game I've ever played - apart from racing games.

7816x1440 (with bezel correction)

IMG_1611.JPG

Last edited:
I'm locked & loaded for August. I'm looking to take over Mordor & the surrounding areas as they witness my wraith power!

like this
Me, too. I'll be going Gold Edition all the way, likely via GMG. One of the few games I know I can thrown down confidently on.

I went for gold through BundleStars for $70, so I'm happy to get a ton of extra content for $10 more than base retail. From the start of the year going forward, I haven't been preordering at all, so this is a rare one.

like this
I remember having trouble. It got goddamn too difficult with all the enemies spawning and kept dying too much. I never even finished it. But it was definitely a fun game, just frustrating at times. Maybe I'll try this when it comes out.

I remember having trouble. It got goddamn too difficult with all the enemies spawning and kept dying too much. I never even finished it. But it was definitely a fun game, just frustrating at times. Maybe I'll try this when it comes out.
you had to do some side quests and stuff perhaps to level up a bit if the content was too difficult. By the end of the game you felt like a demi-God and were way more powerful than your opponents -- at least that's where my char ended. I died an awful lot at the beginning too -- the sense of power and progression in the game - as you acquired additional passive and active skills was epic. I was able to kill all the end bosses quite easily, even in bunches by end game. It's actually enjoyable to become overpowered by end game and just destroy enemies that were difficult before.

Back