Sequel Middle Earth: Shadow of War Confirmed

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Johnked6, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Johnked6

Johnked6 [H]ard|Gawd

It's up for preorder on Target,

http://intl.target.com/p/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-gold-edition-playstation-4/-/A-52315106

[​IMG]

CrimsonKnight13 and Q-BZ like this.
  2. modi123

modi123 2[H]4U

So a sequel to Shadow of Mordor? That's been on my list for some time.. decent? Worth the play through?

3. Johnked6

Johnked6 [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, this is the sequel to the first. It'll be interesting to see what they added to the original. I edited the title to clarify.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Q-BZ

Q-BZ Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Oh yeah. Nemesis system's potential has yet to be fully tapped and it's something that I could see used for more ambitious concepts down the road.

I hope this forthcoming sequel expands on some of the promise. There could be more to this series than what the already fun first game showed us.

5. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 [H]ardness Supreme

I'm definitely looking forward to this. I loved Shadow of Mordor & all of the DLC.

/dev/null and Q-BZ like this.
  6. Johnked6

Johnked6 [H]ard|Gawd

New trailer just posted,

Aug 22 release date.

pendragon1 and Q-BZ like this.
  7. Q-BZ

Day one buy for me.

8. Sayuki_relorded

Sayuki_relorded n00bie

Yes this sequel is coming soon and I expect much better combat animations and death animations than its predecessor.

What do you guys think of the combat here?

Q-BZ likes this.
  9. Q-BZ

I thought the combat and gameplay was addictive and fun as hell. As good as any third person "action" game I've played.

Krenum and CrimsonKnight13 like this.
  10. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

the first game was a sleeper hit that no one was expecting to be good...now that expectations have been raised I hope the developer can match the gameplay to people's heightened expectations and not just rehash the first game

11. CrimsonKnight13

Maybe we'll get to go in Dwarven mines, Elven cities, & Mordor fortresses. I loved Arkham City, so if they got it going where I can totally go stealth, I'd love it.

12. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

First one was repetitive and shallow to me. I got bored pretty quick. Hopefully this one s more complex.

Parja and naib like this.
  13. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

Steam has it up for preorder... $59.99/$79.99/$99.99 :eek:

SILVER EDITION $79.99
    [​IMG]

Pre-order now and forge your army with:
    • Legendary Champions War Party
    • Exclusive Epic Sword of Dominion

Silver Edition includes:
    • Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
    • Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
    • Silver War Chest
    • Over $95 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth.

GOLD EDITION $99.99
    [​IMG]

Pre-order now and forge your army with:
    • Legendary Champions War Party - 4 Legendary Champions from different tribes for your Army
    • Exclusive Epic Sword of Dominion

Gold Edition includes:
    • Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
    • Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
    • The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
    • The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
    • Gold War Chest
    • Over $135 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more

Q-BZ and CrimsonKnight13 like this.
  14. CrimsonKnight13

I know preorders are bad but getting all expansions in one purchase would mean I wouldn't have to think about getting any other DLC after release (if they're looking to keep it that way). I don't intend to do microtransactions, so I hope that any version of this game is well worth the money spent.

15. polonyc2

don't forget the GameStop exclusive Mithril Edition for the low price of $300 :blackeye:

Included in the package comes the "Gold Edition" of the game alongside a steelbook case, a war chest, 12" Balrog vs. Carnan Drake statue, the soundtrack, a cloth map of Mordor, a magnetic replica of the "Power Ring," a collection of lithographs, a sticker pack and a collector's box...

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/m...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-NCMR8MYnG0epoi4JyAPovQ

16. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Eh. Having recently played and finished it, whilst it provided plenty of entertainment for the $10 paid I honestly don't think it is as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. It introduces some interesting mechanics like the nemesis system, but that becomes pretty superfluous once your character achieves excessively powerful abilities which mostly allowed me to brute force kill any war chief without having to bother with the rigmarole of the nemesis system. The side missions also become repetitive and tedious, and are mostly unnecessary unless you want to max out abilities and powers which again I couldn't be bothered doing. Monolith also took a page out of Ubi's open world design book by stuffing the world full of useless collectibles which don't really add much except to pad out potential gameplay time.

Probably the worst aspect was the enemy spawning system, orcs would often spawn instantly outside the field of view despite the area being utterly deserted seconds beforehand. This made for a jarring and contrived experience. I personally think GTA and the early Arkham and Assassins Creed games did a better job of creating an immersive sand box experience, but I suppose if you are a fan of Lord of the Rings then this is probably one of the better if not best games of that license.

polonyc2 likes this.
  17. CrimsonKnight13

I felt the story was pretty good (some plot holes though) but I really enjoyed being fully powered up. This helped with the randomly appearing mobs since it didn't take me long to eliminate them. I'm hoping for leaps in improvement if they paid attention to all of the other action-adventure sandbox games that are top notch.

Blade-Runner likes this.
  18. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

Agreed - end game was really enjoyable on shadow of Mordor. I felt overpowered, could take on 3-5 bosses at once and rarely fear death. The progression from being overwhelmed by a single captain at the beginning to end game demi-god was very satisfying.

I agree the side quests sucked, and I almost quit the game out of tiediom, but then I realized I should skip the side quests mostly and just progress the main story and enjoyed the game much more that way.

19. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

I've just got no room for that statue or the box at the moment due to living conditions, so odds are I'll snag the Gold Digital, esp if I see a sale on it. :)

The first one was just a fun way to go in, slaughter stuff and walk away when I needed to tend to RL. Was a great "need to kill off an hour doing something" game.

Granted I'd typically put in 3-4 hours at a stretch some times.... ;)

20. delita

delita [H]ard|Gawd

One of the few games I had NO trouble finishing at all. It was fun and addicting enough that I never felt like I had to "force" myself at any point to get to the next segment -- which for me, can be pretty rare. Definitely expecting the same from this sequel.

21. polonyc2

Shadow of War system requirements revealed...I'm beginning to wonder if there's any point in upgrading my GTX 970...another game with a 970 listed as the 'recommended' spec...

MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel i5-2550K, 3.4 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 670 | Radeon HD 7950
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 60 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 970 or GeForce GTX 1060 | Radeon R9 290X or Radeon RX 480
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 60 GB available space

22. toddw

toddw [H]ard|Gawd

No comments on the trailer? Whether the game sucks or not, that trailer was badass.

23. horrorshow

horrorshow 2[H]4U

This'll be a console purchase for me.

SoM was an excellent couch game....

24. MorgothPl

MorgothPl 2[H]4U

I wonder, how much more can the game developers rape Tolkien lore. First game was pushing it. But now? 2nd ring of power? War in Mordor between Sauron and undead ranger? WTF were plot writers smoking when they came with that idea?

From lore reasons, I'm not touching it with 10 foot pole.

25. delita

delita [H]ard|Gawd

Played PC but DEFINITELY a controller game for me

26. Archaea

Your loss.

The first game was basically a prequel to the lord of the rings books. They had the okay by the Tolkien estate for their plot. As well as some input on the project. From what I read the game developers tried to not offend the hardcore fans.

I read and enjoyed the books, I loved the Peter Jackson movies. (I liked the movies more than the books-how often can you say that? -almost never!!!) I enjoyed the first game from 2014 quite a bit. As a casual, non Gandalf robe wearing fan level, it's great fun to get more content in this universe.

If you are that tied up into the lore to be offended by the first game (when the surviving family estate isn't) you might consider reevaluating your priorities in life. ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    GoldenTiger and pendragon1 like this.
  27. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Looks like more of the same, with a revamping of the meta game and nemesis system. Not noticing much in the way of graphical improvements.

28. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Nemesis system is on STEROIDS! :)

CrimsonKnight13 likes this.
  29. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

Based on this, it sounds bonkers... and I'm looking forward to it a lot!

http://kotaku.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-wars-nemesis-system-is-about-fr-1793067914

30. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

O_O game looks nuts!

Q-BZ likes this.
  31. CrimsonKnight13

That video was great, though it sucks they had to show the gameplay on the Xbox One. I would've preferred watching a 4K@60 Windows video.

"New Game+"-style save games for Shadow of Mordor if anyone is the in mood for playing through again before Shadow of War gets released.
    http://www.nexusmods.com/middleearthshadowofmordor/mods/1/?

32. Q-BZ

Looking good!

Johnked6 likes this.
  33. squishy

squishy [H]ard|Gawd

I' just *now* playing the 1st one. It's really good, looking forward to playing this one in uh.. 6 or 7 years :/

34. Drawmonster

Drawmonster 2[H]4U

I have a "no preorder" policy for all developers beside CDPR. But unless this ends up being buggy mess, I'll definitely pick it up. One of the few games in the last few years I couldn't get enough of.

35. Archaea

I played the first one for the first time in the last year. It had a intoxicating fighting rythm, it was super smooth by end game, almost played like a beat or rythm based game in the fighting sequences. I really enjoyed it, and it's one of those that frankly I might have rated it a B while playing it, but looking back it's probably a strong A. It's got one of the best combat systems in a game I've ever encountered, and the nemesis system was unique.

This might be full price pickup for me. (which I VERY rarely do) Didn't hurt that it had about the best Eyefinity/Surround play (using Flawless Widescreen app) of any game I've ever played - apart from racing games.

7816x1440 (with bezel correction)

IMG_1611.JPG

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  36. CrimsonKnight13

I'm locked & loaded for August. I'm looking to take over Mordor & the surrounding areas as they witness my wraith power!

Q-BZ likes this.
  37. Q-BZ

Me, too. I'll be going Gold Edition all the way, likely via GMG. One of the few games I know I can thrown down confidently on.

38. CrimsonKnight13

I went for gold through BundleStars for $70, so I'm happy to get a ton of extra content for $10 more than base retail. From the start of the year going forward, I haven't been preordering at all, so this is a rare one.

Q-BZ likes this.
  39. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

I remember having trouble. It got goddamn too difficult with all the enemies spawning and kept dying too much. I never even finished it. But it was definitely a fun game, just frustrating at times. Maybe I'll try this when it comes out.

40. Archaea

you had to do some side quests and stuff perhaps to level up a bit if the content was too difficult. By the end of the game you felt like a demi-God and were way more powerful than your opponents -- at least that's where my char ended. I died an awful lot at the beginning too -- the sense of power and progression in the game - as you acquired additional passive and active skills was epic. I was able to kill all the end bosses quite easily, even in bunches by end game. It's actually enjoyable to become overpowered by end game and just destroy enemies that were difficult before.