September 2016 Apple Keynote

StryderxX

[H]ard|Gawd
Tim Cook just jumped the shark singing with James Corden. This is truly a face palm moment...

So this is the first time in a few years where I came away interested in the iPhone. Sick work updating and upgrading the platform in meaningful ways.

But damn, has Apple officially stopped being a computer company? No iMac, MacPro or macbook announcements; all platforms that desperately need updates or at least meaningful refreshes.

So this is the first time in a few years where I came away interested in the iPhone. Sick work updating and upgrading the platform in meaningful ways.

But damn, has Apple officially stopped being a computer company? No iMac, MacPro or macbook announcements; all platforms that desperately need updates or at least meaningful refreshes.

They never announce those at the same time as iPhones. I think they usually do that in October.

Also, wtf was that business at the end!?
They never announce those at the same time as iPhones. I think they usually do that in October.
Of course. Herp a derp on my part... Here's hoping they make as many changes and updates then.

Nintendo announcing mobile games and mobile games on iOS first: megaton.

iPhone 7 looks like a great upgrade, but rumors of next year's phone being a total makeover leave me hesitant to drop coin on an iPhone 7 this year.

I'll be downloading the GM versions of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra asap.

I dunno. Cool new tech, but I think the 6s+ will do for a good while, especially if ios 10 breathes new life into the phone. The new a10 looks yum though.

Nintendo announcing mobile games and mobile games on iOS first: megaton.

iPhone 7 looks like a great upgrade, but rumors of next year's phone being a total makeover leave me hesitant to drop coin on an iPhone 7 this year.

I'll be downloading the GM versions of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra asap.

The first point, probably big for a lot of people but I've played Mario games for years using the GBA profiles on iOS and Android. But this will make an official version that probably works better so cool.

The most interesting thing to me is one of the least important parts, the new matte black color. I've missed that color since the iPhone 5, glad it's back. Easiest way to "justify" getting the iPhone 7 now is to get it through carrier financing or Apple's financing since they should all allow you to upgrade after a year now. I agree though, this isn't a necessary upgrade and next year looks to be the big one.

32GB starting storage size on the new iPads was nice. Too bad the base storage increase almost took 2 years...

I am for sure interested in pre-ordering the 7+ on friday .... my 6+ is getting a bit long in the tooth.....Even if the massive changes on the horizon happen next year, i'll give em a year to figure out the issues as it is set to be more of a jump than the 5s to 6 series .......that camera sure has me interested ...

The first point, probably big for a lot of people but I've played Mario games for years using the GBA profiles on iOS and Android. But this will make an official version that probably works better so cool.

That really isn't the point here. And, yes, the fact that it is an official, original title matters.

The 56mm prime lens is definitely an interesting one. Most smartphone camera lenses are so wide that it's very difficult to fill the frame with the subject. It's something that must be done especially on an iPhone because of the terribly small sensor that it has on it. With the longer focal length and f1.8 you might actually get a bit of bokeh off the lens if you have a close subject. At the end of the day it's still going to be a polished turd because their sensors are nothing special, and I'm not convinced their optics are either. But, we might finally be able to put that to the test once a real camera app hooks directly into the RAW API and outputs unprocessed images. That's what I'm most interested in seeing because sometimes their "processing" can help, but I've also seen where it basically destroys the photo, especially if it's low light.

32GB starting storage size on the new iPads was nice. Too bad the base storage increase almost took 2 years...

There was a ninja update to 32GB on all iPads now and the Pros are $100 cheaper each. $400 for an iPad Air 2 with 32GB isn't too shabby.

At the end of the day it's still going to be a polished turd because their sensors are nothing special, and I'm not convinced their optics are either.

For a phone, the sensors are fantastic. Might be the best hardware Sony ships. These days, that's not saying much, though.

For a phone, the sensors are fantastic. Might be the best hardware Sony ships. These days, that's not saying much, though.

It's a good sensor for the size of what they are using, but it simply can't hang with other phones that have larger sensors or better optics in front of them. I personally feel like I've seen far better pictures come off something like a note 5 than I've ever seen come off an iPhone. But like I said, this time around we might get to see the actual sensor data in raw form via a third party, so it will be quite interesting to see what comes off of it. Maybe some of my gripes with their picture quality is actually coming from their processing and not from the sensor / optics itself.

I usually watch these keynotes and events knowing I'm going to have a lot of laughs and this one of course was no exception - guess I should take a cue from Apple itself and say "It is the most hilarious event Apple has ever put on" since each year they just love repeating how whatever they're babbling on about is their best ever.

Anyway, I usually look for something that I'd consider to be the "jumping the shark" moment and this year it happened pretty late into the event itself. That moment was when Phil Schiller was going on about the iPhone 7/7 Plus audio and he mentioned the stereo speakers - when he said "there's stereo speakers, one at that top, one at the bottom..." I pretty much lost it.

There's never been a company in the history of the world that can speak so much bullshit about the silliest and most basic aspects of a device like it was the invention of sliced bread or something. I also love the fact that they're years behind other companies with so many aspects: dual cameras (LG and others), true tone flash (LG and others), a quad core CPU that has some cores that are more power efficient than others (I'm sure Qualcomm was laughing at that), LTE-A (been around for a while now), "stereo speakers, one on the top, one on the bottom..." (I mean really), and of course that infamous "Retina HD" display. IP67 status... been there, done that, years and years ago (Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and others).

The AirPods don't do anything for me - for that kind or price (and for the fact that the headphone jack is now considered to be deprecated) I'll stick with what I've been using for the past few decades, my PortaPros and my Sony V6 which sound better anyway.

As for the Apple Watch, never cared about it at all and still don't so I had to skip that portion of the event entirely.

Thanks for the laughs, Apple, they were absolutely your best ever. :D

Tiberian : There are some differentiators they had. They have had true tone flash on previous phones, this was just an improvement to the existing one. The dual cameras is probably the most interesting feature as I don't know that anyone has done what they have. Most use two of the same camera for 3d stereoscopic. There is literally two different cameras on the back of the 7+ with different focal lengths. I don't know how useful it will be in reality but it's certainly a unique idea. (I don't think many people would consciously think to switch between them) I would agree though that using the power efficient cores was directly using another companies idea, but it's certainly a good thing they decided to implement it.

I usually watch these keynotes and events knowing I'm going to have a lot of laughs and this one of course was no exception - guess I should take a cue from Apple itself and say "It is the most hilarious event Apple has ever put on" since each year they just love repeating how whatever they're babbling on about is their best ever.

Anyway, I usually look for something that I'd consider to be the "jumping the shark" moment and this year it happened pretty late into the event itself. That moment was when Phil Schiller was going on about the iPhone 7/7 Plus audio and he mentioned the stereo speakers - when he said "there's stereo speakers, one at that top, one at the bottom..." I pretty much lost it.

There's never been a company in the history of the world that can speak so much bullshit about the silliest and most basic aspects of a device like it was the invention of sliced bread or something. I also love the fact that they're years behind other companies with so many aspects: dual cameras (LG and others), true tone flash (LG and others), a quad core CPU that has some cores that are more power efficient than others (I'm sure Qualcomm was laughing at that), LTE-A (been around for a while now), "stereo speakers, one on the top, one on the bottom..." (I mean really), and of course that infamous "Retina HD" display. IP67 status... been there, done that, years and years ago (Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and others).

The AirPods don't do anything for me - for that kind or price (and for the fact that the headphone jack is now considered to be deprecated) I'll stick with what I've been using for the past few decades, my PortaPros and my Sony V6 which sound better anyway.

As for the Apple Watch, never cared about it at all and still don't so I had to skip that portion of the event entirely.

Thanks for the laughs, Apple, they were absolutely your best ever. :D

Ugh, sometimes I wonder if you guys just shut off your brains when you type in Apple threads.

For one, I suggest you watch any keynote of any kind and report back to me. I'm not saying Apple makes amazing keynotes, but at least in most cases the speakers are OK and can speak english (ignore Nintendo). They are all usually awkward and have stupid jokes thrown around.

Stereo means two speakers, if you want to laugh at definitions be my guest. There are more effective stereo speakers, but these are stereo nonetheless.

Dual cameras, so we have the LG and Huawei, maybe some other no names. How successful was the LG? Who buys Huawei in the US? (Nexus 6P being an exception). Dual cameras aren't the norm yet, so Apple might not be the first but they are an early adopter. Quad core CPU. Ok, the Apple SoC's have absolutely shit on anything that Android has put on for years in the single core performance, which is what actually matters. Qualcomm can laugh all they want, but their SoC's are still shit and need to compensate with 4x-2x the cores. LTE-A, cool but it doesn't even matter when you'll never see those speeds on any carriers except in maybe Korea. FYI LTE bands are much more important, and it was only Sony and a few of Samsung's phones that had more than maybe 3-4, meanwhile the iPhone has over 20.

AirPods, I agree that they are not interesting to me and probably not to many others at the price they are selling them for.

Oh and before I forget, Apple has had true tone flash since the iPhone 5S in 2013.

Basically your post is a bunch of "I will/have never bought Apple and have no interest in any of their products" filled with a bunch of nonsense that requires a couple minutes of Googling to figure out.

The iPhone 7 was better than I was expecting. Unfortunately I won't be able to get one, need to run my current iPhone 6 until it dies.

Probably going end up picking up an Apple Watch, not sure if I'll get the series 1 or 2.

I've been running iOS 10 since early July so that isn't that big of a deal for me. Looking forward to Mac OS 10.12 and tvOS 3 though.

Stereo means two speakers, if you want to laugh at definitions be my guest. There are more effective stereo speakers, but these are stereo nonetheless.

You're missing the point: the fact that Schiller said "It has stereo speakers, one at the top and one at the bottom..." was meant to convey the fact that he felt it necessary to explain to people where the two speakers would be physically located in the device - did anyone in the audience or watching the event stream ever dare consider the speakers were built into the sides of the device or something?

He explained it as if people had shut off their brains or something. Does that make it clearer?

Basically your post is a bunch of "I will/have never bought Apple and have no interest in any of their products" filled with a bunch of nonsense that requires a couple minutes of Googling to figure out.

I've owned plenty of Apple devices over the decades from the original iPhone to the 6S (second hand most of the time, I won't pay the overpriced premiums for Apple hardware brand new), doesn't mean any of them are "the best ever..." whatever they happen to be 'cause they just ain't. Ever.

Your reading comprehension is lacking, seriously.

Which phones are these? You make reference to them without identifying them.

I'll quote myself:

I personally feel like I've seen far better pictures come off something like a note 5 than I've ever seen come off an iPhone.

Note 5 a friend has, my Lumia 928 still took better low light pictures than the 6s does. Nothing still holds a candle of what comes off of a Lumia 1020. I'm sure we could go down the rabbit hole and people can post DXO "benchmarks" or optimized photos where phone A,B,C is some how better than phone I posted. I'm just saying flat out, with phone in hand I've sat in someone's office, or at a table at a restaurant, or took outside photos of something and the iPhone tends to disappoint compared to whatever other phone I'm comparing it to.

I'll quote myself:

Note 5 a friend has, my Lumia 928 still took better low light pictures than the 6s does. Nothing still holds a candle of what comes off of a Lumia 1020. I'm sure we could go down the rabbit hole and people can post DXO "benchmarks" or optimized photos where phone A,B,C is some how better than phone I posted. I'm just saying flat out, with phone in hand I've sat in someone's office, or at a table at a restaurant, or took outside photos of something and the iPhone tends to disappoint compared to whatever other phone I'm comparing it to.

Wait, you just contradicted yourself. The Note 5 does a crap ton of photo processing. And your complaint about the iPhone is its processing. If your comparison point is now "with phone in hand" as opposed to the RAW dumps you've been talking about for three posts, exactly what standards are you applying here? You shift your comparison basis with each post.

You're missing the point: the fact that Schiller said "It has stereo speakers, one at the top and one at the bottom..." was meant to convey the fact that he felt it necessary to explain to people where the two speakers would be physically located in the device - did anyone in the audience or watching the event stream ever dare consider the speakers were built into the sides of the device or something?

He explained it as if people had shut off their brains or something. Does that make it clearer?

I've owned plenty of Apple devices over the decades from the original iPhone to the 6S (second hand most of the time, I won't pay the overpriced premiums for Apple hardware brand new), doesn't mean any of them are "the best ever..." whatever they happen to be 'cause they just ain't. Ever.

Your reading comprehension is lacking, seriously.

Most people assumed the second speaker would be on the bottom .... where the head phone jack was removed ..... so i'd say yes pointing out at top and bottom was worth while?

and phone is ordered 1 minute after the Apple Store app went live :D

eCtjCjA.png

I got a iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Black preordered for in-store pickup. Sort of regret going through the iPhone Upgrade Program as by the time they authenticated my account, and approved my eligibility to upgrade, all of the Black Plus 128GB models were sold out near me for in-store pickup. Oh well, the 256GB one is only going to cost me $0.83/month more than I pay now, not a big deal.

I ordered my 7 Plus 128 in Silver this morning. Direct from ATT since it's on my company plan. All things considered I'm surprised my ship date is this month. My 6 Plus was ordered in the first 5 min two years ago and arrived in November. That's a big change in available phones or an indication they aren't selling as well. Since Apple won't release sales numbers, in the words of Mr Owl "The world may never know"

I ordered my 7 Plus 128 in Silver this morning. Direct from ATT since it's on my company plan. All things considered I'm surprised my ship date is this month. My 6 Plus was ordered in the first 5 min two years ago and arrived in November. That's a big change in available phones or an indication they aren't selling as well. Since Apple won't release sales numbers, in the words of Mr Owl "The world may never know"

6 Plus sold out instantly since it was the "newest" product and most "premium". Last year the Rose Gold version of the 6S/Plus sold out instantly and wasn't available until like November. This year that's Jet Black and partially regular Black. You can still get the regular iPhone 7 by launch date depending on color/storage, 7 Plus looks to be sold out until later in the month for Verizon.

I was up at 3am (est) and ordered one iPhone 7 plus 128gb (black) for me and one iPhone 7 128gb (rose gold) for the wife. Both are due to be delivered on the 16th. I was actually surprised that Apple's website didn't have a melt down like in previous years. I had no problem with the order.

Ordering direct from Apple has ship times into November. What this means is that people went through Apple first because they have the best upgrade plan, and tried their best to avoid directly dealing with their carriers.

iPhones sell like hotcakes. They'll be fine. The reason Apple isn't releasing sales figures is because the iPhone 6's release caused stock to drop, despite being the best selling iPhone of all time.

Hence the either or. We order phones all the time and release weeks are always tough. Even last year it was difficult to get phones in September. That's why I was surprised I was getting dates this month. Either way I'll be happy. I love my 6 Plus but looking forward to it's replacement.

Back