Sent board in for RMA, got original back with nothing fixed. Yay ASUS.

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
Obviously board still not working.

This was to ASUS on my Rampage III Formula.

4 of the USB ports refuse to work and the Ethernet controller doesn't work either.

I included that in the note when I mailed it in, so umm, what's the deal? I reinstalled windows fresh on a different hard drive to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Their RMA form says the tested it and it was 'ok' so what exactly does that mean? Can you hook up a keyboard to the port and it'll be detected in the BIOS or do I have to play USB JENGA every time I want to figure out what ones work and what ones don't.

Also computers without the internet suck, windows reports a hardware fault with the GigE controller and it refuses to start up the driver, even with just the basic windows drivers.

So what do I do now? Is there an ASUS Rep here? I refuse to pay to ship this back again, I've already been without my desktop for a week because of this.

Ideally they'll cross-ship a board to me at their expense by emailing me a return label for the one they shipped back to me.

In my dealings with past Asus RMAs, this is typical. I personally think they purposely send back known defective stuff because they know most people will give up and not pursue the issue. I'm going to recommend you install a USB card and an ethernet card to get yourself running again. I know it sucks, but there is a reason I put them on my shitlist a while ago. You could butt heads with them over this...but I doubt you'll get very far.

I've just dealt with Asus RMA. I sent in a Maximus IV Extreme because of bad USB ports. I sent just the bare board, they sent me a whole brand new retail M4E package, together took about a week.

If you want to try contacting the ASUS rep member here on this board, I believe his user name is OC_Seer. Might be worth a shot!

Same experience here on an A7N8X Deluxe.
Sent bad board back then had me in endless e-mail loop and basically refused to honor their warranty.

I didn't buy Asus for 7 years...

But then, I started seeing their rep here and shit getting taken care of, plus I really wanted an mATX board and this R2G has been a good one.

However, this behavior is total BULL for any product they sell but especially something as nice as that Rampage III board.

Here's to hoping you get the help you need and a bump up to the top.

Obviously board still not working.

This was to ASUS on my Rampage III Formula.

4 of the USB ports refuse to work and the Ethernet controller doesn't work either.

I included that in the note when I mailed it in, so umm, what's the deal? I reinstalled windows fresh on a different hard drive to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Their RMA form says the tested it and it was 'ok' so what exactly does that mean? Can you hook up a keyboard to the port and it'll be detected in the BIOS or do I have to play USB JENGA every time I want to figure out what ones work and what ones don't.

Also computers without the internet suck, windows reports a hardware fault with the GigE controller and it refuses to start up the driver, even with just the basic windows drivers.

So what do I do now? Is there an ASUS Rep here? I refuse to pay to ship this back again, I've already been without my desktop for a week because of this.

Ideally they'll cross-ship a board to me at their expense by emailing me a return label for the one they shipped back to me.

Please PM me your details with any RMA numbers/information you have and I'll look into what happened.

Thanks
Raja

ASUS rocks, never had a problem with them. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Probably a crappy staff member that didn't know how to handle their work.

Raja@asus

are you the guy gary key said he was training to be the new web help person?
you gonna be around here and other forums permanent?

If you want to try contacting the ASUS rep member here on this board, I believe his user name is OC_Seer. Might be worth a shot!

I was hoping they'd see this thread, but I wanted to check to see if this was typical of other members experiences too so I knew what to expect from here on out.

As you can see one of them has replied to the thread already.

I've just dealt with Asus RMA. I sent in a Maximus IV Extreme because of bad USB ports. I sent just the bare board, they sent me a whole brand new retail M4E package, together took about a week.

This would be exactly what I want at this point, I don't want a refurb board carrying a lesser warranty coming back my way.

In my dealings with past Asus RMAs, this is typical. I personally think they purposely send back known defective stuff because they know most people will give up and not pursue the issue. I'm going to recommend you install a USB card and an ethernet card to get yourself running again. I know it sucks, but there is a reason I put them on my shitlist a while ago. You could butt heads with them over this...but I doubt you'll get very far.

Yeah that sucks, I knew Gigabytes RMA's were terrible, I've dealt with them a few times even for hardware that was not my own (less techie friends whose computers I built) and I refuse to purchase their products now.

Same experience here on an A7N8X Deluxe.
Sent bad board back then had me in endless e-mail loop and basically refused to honor their warranty.

I didn't buy Asus for 7 years...

But then, I started seeing their rep here and shit getting taken care of, plus I really wanted an mATX board and this R2G has been a good one.

However, this behavior is total BULL for any product they sell but especially something as nice as that Rampage III board.

Here's to hoping you get the help you need and a bump up to the top.

Thanks, I've heard nothing but good things pretty much *ever* so that's why I continued to buy ASUS, I've only had one other brand of mobo my whole life and that was a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 when the C2D's just came out, man was *that* a mistake, had to RMA it and it took a MONTH, what a joke.

Please PM me your details with any RMA numbers/information you have and I'll look into what happened.

Thanks
Raja

You've been PM'd, thanks for the reply.

ASUS rocks, never had a problem with them. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Probably a crappy staff member that didn't know how to handle their work.

Do you mean with the products themselves or do you mean including their support/RMA department/staff that you haven't had any problems with? I can understand a mistake being made, but I'm not going to *pay* for it to be sent out again, that wouldn't be right or fair at this point.

Raja@asus

are you the guy gary key said he was training to be the new web help person?
you gonna be around here and other forums permanent?

I think the [H] should have a sticky of the reps here so we know who to contact in these kinds of situations.

Ive had same problem twice with ASUS,unfortunately I gave in and got a Maximus 4,fortunately it is working,but had another board been available I surly would not have bought an ASUS board...

Still nothing from Raja btw, in case anyone was curious if I had heard anything.

Doesn't the R3F carry advanced RMA? They do it for their higher end models.

I recently did that for my R2E and I got a brand new board. It was a good experience.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though :(

It is the weekend. Maybe you should be a mite more patient with him?

He replied at like 1 am the first time, so I thought I'd get at least a "thanks for the info, I'll look into it when I'm in the office"

But he did actually reply to me since saying exactly that, and that's fine with me, stuff is closed for the holidays and he has no control of that so I'm not holding it against them.

Doesn't the R3F carry advanced RMA? They do it for their higher end models.

I recently did that for my R2E and I got a brand new board. It was a good experience.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though :(

I didn't know that, sounds like the guy I talked to on the phone went out of his way to not give me that information or help me then, awesome.

Just got the email from ASUS to fill out a survey on my experiences with the repair, heh.

Hope to hear from Raja or whoever tomorrow...

The problem with this is that normal customers do not go to [H] and should not need a company rep on a forum or newegg reviews to get the service they should have had from the start.

Holy Crap........

What a deal........send in broken board and just because it POSTs it's "OK".:eek:

I just bought one of these after my 2 year old Classified stopped working.

I hope I don't meet with the same fate. Haven't had an ASUS board in a long while, primarily use EVGA or Gigabyte.....so far my R3F has been excellent.:D

Where is the information on Cross-shipping these boards?

I know the "ROG" boards are "special" but I saw nothing in my MB box to indicate any special privleges. Maybe it's only for the 'Extreme" models???

Last edited:
think they are running low on boards due to the B3 fix, ive been trying to get my p67 pro rma'd since the 14th and they keep telling me they need to " stock check" , feel like just buying another board and selling the rma one when ever it arrives , got a feeling im looking at around a month or 2 turn around time.

Wanted to update that I've gotten a PM from Raja with the information he has now but he is at the mercy of other departments replying to him which is unfortunate, but he took the time to give me the information he had at this point instead of making me wait longer which I appreciate.

The problem with this is that normal customers do not go to [H] and should not need a company rep on a forum or newegg reviews to get the service they should have had from the start.

Yeah, if I wasn't aware of the ASUS presence here on the forum I'd be out of an extra avenue for a resolution, I'd be on hold on the phone with them again. In the time I was on hold with them I was able to disassemble my machine and pack up the motherboard, which was a little bit excessive..

Holy Crap........

What a deal........send in broken board and just because it POSTs it's "OK".:eek:

I just bought one of these after my 2 year old Classified stopped working.

I hope I don't meet with the same fate. Haven't had an ASUS board in a long while, primarily use EVGA or Gigabyte.....so far my R3F has been excellent.:D

Where is the information on Cross-shipping these boards?

I know the "ROG" boards are "special" but I saw nothing in my MB box to indicate any special privleges. Maybe it's only for the 'Extreme" models???

Yeah, I would like some source for this as well, if it's the norm why was mine not handled in this manner, if it isn't, am I expecting too much? I don't want to hold them to an incorrect standard in my particular case, I just want my issue resolved in an appropriate manner, not special treatment. Although it might seem that way considering the reports I've heard from you guys about what happened with yours being full retail boxed advanced RMA's.

think they are running low on boards due to the B3 fix, ive been trying to get my p67 pro rma'd since the 14th and they keep telling me they need to " stock check" , feel like just buying another board and selling the rma one when ever it arrives , got a feeling im looking at around a month or 2 turn around time.

This is an X58 board btw, so that doesn't apply.

Yeah, if I wasn't aware of the ASUS presence here on the forum I'd be out of an extra avenue for a resolution, I'd be on hold on the phone with them again. In the time I was on hold with them I was able to disassemble my machine and pack up the motherboard, which was a little bit excessive..

I sent in an M2N32 SLI deluxe a few years back, they sent the board straight back to me weeks later without any information. So thinking it fixed, I put it back in and booted her up. Yup, still broken.

So I called them, again, and waited 45 minutes being shuffled around. Got put on hold, told to wait. Then the disconnect.

Haven't bought an Asus product since, and have built a good 30+ computers for family and friends since, without a single Asus product included. I know Gigabyte used to have RMA problems, but my recent RMA with them was flawless, so between them and EVGA I am pretty much taken care of for the builds I do. Don't see any reason to ever deal with an ASUS RMA again.

Perhaps things are different when you only build computers with high end motherboards with advanced RMA, but I build a lot of mainstream computers as most people I know don't want to spend $300 extra for a mobo that operates just a little bit better.

I sent in an M2N32 SLI deluxe a few years back, they sent the board straight back to me weeks later without any information. So thinking it fixed, I put it back in and booted her up. Yup, still broken.

Mine was sent back quickly, but with nothing other than sheet that says 'test: ok' that's it.
I'm not an idiot.. what tests? what's ok? did you just post it?..

And yes I did test it since it's come back, still broken...

So I called them, again, and waited 45 minutes being shuffled around. Got put on hold, told to wait. Then the disconnect.

Yeah, I was on hold for 30 minutes before getting to someone, but the guy seemed competent with setting me up, unfortunately that was probably not the case..

Haven't bought an Asus product since, and have built a good 30+ computers for family and friends since, without a single Asus product included. I know Gigabyte used to have RMA problems, but my recent RMA with them was flawless, so between them and EVGA I am pretty much taken care of for the builds I do. Don't see any reason to ever deal with an ASUS RMA again.

Yeah, I'm not sure what other brand meets my needs, if Gigabyte is better now, if their boards weren't so hideous.. EVGA is good, but the R3F had *everything* I wanted.

I did just see pictures of the Z68 UD7, that black/gold combo is actually pretty awesome.

Perhaps things are different when you only build computers with high end motherboards with advanced RMA, but I build a lot of mainstream computers as most people I know don't want to spend $300 extra for a mobo that operates just a little bit better.

I'm generally a mainstream model kinda guy too, but I decided to go high-end this build.

Last edited:
Just got a reply from Raja with the details of the RMA, or rather lack of details.

They said they 'tested' my board, and it was NTF 'no trouble found'. Obviously I disagree with that diagnosis as I confirmed the issue was ongoing yesterday on the returned board.

I still don't know what 'tested' means, or if it was even actually tested, the sheet returned to me is so devoid of information it's actually insulting to me they consider that enough.

He said the best option is to raise the RMA ticket again, so that means calling them back up and sitting on hold for another 30 minutes before talking to someone who might not even be able to help me *again*.

So here I am on hold with ASUS again, hopefully I get this resolved...

You are correct.
No dumbass buys a 300 dollar motherboard.
You deserve and explaination of what they did/did not do.
This time ask for the supervisor, I guess.

I just had to RMA my EVGA Classified, after 2 years it just plain stopped working properly. I tore it down and tested each individual component. The board was the problem, but I couldn't tell what.
I had purchased Advanced RMA.
One email discussing the problem and a replacement was sent out.
No questions asked.
New one is/was a refurbished return, but so far is flawless.

Took two days and I have 14 to send back my old one, shipping paid by EVGA.:D

Just got off the phone with them, talked to Rob over there, he was nice and understanding, but unable to help me, he could not provide a shipping label back to ASUS, as far as I'm concerned I've already paid shipping on this case, and until it's resolved, that's my commitment fulfilled.

He said he was also unable to email me options for different people to call higher up or anything like that because they are unable to email like that, which is fine, but not particularly helpful.

So I cancelled the RMA he had set up because it required me to pay for shipping out, I'm going to try again tomorrow, unfortunately I have to go to class now and won't be able to call back during their business hours today.

So another day out, and no further, he said I'd have to call back to get any further help, which is again, hold time, inconvenience, no guarantee, etc.

So far it's not looking good for my customer retention on ASUS products..

Just got a reply from Raja with the details of the RMA, or rather lack of details.

They said they 'tested' my board, and it was NTF 'no trouble found'. Obviously I disagree with that diagnosis as I confirmed the issue was ongoing yesterday on the returned board.

I still don't know what 'tested' means, or if it was even actually tested, the sheet returned to me is so devoid of information it's actually insulting to me they consider that enough.

He said the best option is to raise the RMA ticket again, so that means calling them back up and sitting on hold for another 30 minutes before talking to someone who might not even be able to help me *again*.

So here I am on hold with ASUS again, hopefully I get this resolved...

Damn.
I guess the forum jockies are no longer any help.
Pretty easy to know if USB ports work or not.

I don't know how they test boards for RMA but it sounds like there is a standard diagnostic process that the board either passes or fails. Is it possible that they didn't even stick anything in the usb ports to see if they work??? I have this growing perception of RMA people as being very robotic without a shread of imagination.

Sorry dude.
I am curious as to the outcome of your latest call but I think I have to go now with an earlier poster who said buy another board and sell the RMA when you finally get them to honor it. Hell, sell the i7 chip as well and go Sandy Brigde Z67. I hear the MSI boards are doing very well. ;)

Have you tried completely deleting all nic drivers (by using the checkbox when you uninstall it from Device Manager) and then unplugging the network cable, then reinstalling the new drivers without having a network cable plugged in. See if the nic wakes up then.

Sounds like you did everything reasonable on your end.

At this point I suggest you try different methods

Contact the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) about your warranty claim. There should be some online forms you can fill out. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Contact your State Attorney General and file a complaint.

Contacting the BBB is a waste of time.

Damn.
I guess the forum jockies are no longer any help.
Pretty easy to know if USB ports work or not.

I don't know how they test boards for RMA but it sounds like there is a standard diagnostic process that the board either passes or fails. Is it possible that they didn't even stick anything in the usb ports to see if they work??? I have this growing perception of RMA people as being very robotic without a shread of imagination.

Sorry dude.
I am curious as to the outcome of your latest call but I think I have to go now with an earlier poster who said buy another board and sell the RMA when you finally get them to honor it. Hell, sell the i7 chip as well and go Sandy Brigde Z67. I hear the MSI boards are doing very well. ;)

The outcome of my latest call is right above this post of yours. I'm considering getting rid of the board when it comes back fixed from RMA and holding out for Z68 which is right around the corner.

Have you tried completely deleting all nic drivers (by using the checkbox when you uninstall it from Device Manager) and then unplugging the network cable, then reinstalling the new drivers without having a network cable plugged in. See if the nic wakes up then.

I'll try this tonight but even if that works, that still leaves me with 4 non-working USB ports? So either way it's still broken...

Sounds like you did everything reasonable on your end.

At this point I suggest you try different methods

Contact the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) about your warranty claim. There should be some online forms you can fill out. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Contact your State Attorney General and file a complaint.

Contacting the BBB is a waste of time.

Hopefully Raja or another rep has something to say about why this is so hard to resolve, my request is simple, cross-ship me a shipped board and pay for my return shipping as my first case was not resolved. I've completed my commitment, it's them that is lacking. I refuse to pay for their mistake and oversight, or I guess at this point, suspected laziness on the part of their repair/test staff. I'd prefer their route first, they haven't had a chance to make it right really, the guy on the phone wasn't authorized to do what I wanted, that's not *his* fault, but hopefully one of these reps can, if not, I'm pulling the AMEX warranty on it, selling it, and getting a different brands product on my main rig.

Last edited:
Apparently it's been elevated to a higher customer service Tier as per Raja, so I'm to email him my info and he'll help me take care of it from there, hopefully I'm back up and running as soon as possible.

Apparently it's been elevated to a higher customer service Tier as per Raja, so I'm to email him my info and he'll help me take care of it from there, hopefully I'm back up and running as soon as possible.

Just got a call from ASUS in CA, they're mailing me a new board tomorrow, or rather a fully functional board, refurb, but fully tested working, and they're emailing me a prepaid shipping label.

They're supposed to be calling me tomorrow 4/27 to verify information and get it out to me as an advanced RMA.

Last edited:
Talked to them again today, they've got the board ready to go, I received the prepaid mailing label and already sent the board out, and already called ASUS back to say it was mailed off, when it gets scanned at FedEx, my board will be shipped on their end.

So that's that, hopefully the board coming my way works as expected. Although I'm not sure I'll even keep it at this point.

When I had my 7800GTX, I had to RMA it 4 times before they even sent a replacement, the first three times they didn't even attempt to fix it, they just sent it back, 4th time it was still broken. The 5th one they sent me was finally a replacement, all happened over 3 months.

So don't be surprised if they juke you lol.

Yeah, so far the lady conversing with me since it got bumped up to the higher tech support level has been really helpful and informed. I hope the board is shipped out on their end today because I might have it Friday but it probably won't be..

DFI pulled this shit on me before. I eventually gave up on their shenanigans and their brand.

I shipped out last Wednesday (WA), they got it on Friday (CA). They shipped out on Tuesday (CA) and I got it on Friday (WA), it's taken since Friday for them to sort this out for me, and I shipped it out today (still WA, heh) at 3:41pm, and it'll be on it's way to Fremont, CA this time.

At least me and the service person are in the same time zone so I don't have to translate my work/school hours with her hours.

Its going to ACI in California and being repaired there. Most of their stuff is trustable work. When you get it back look for a green dot sticker somewhere. On laptop boards they put it on the memory slots.

So you mean the board I'm getting is from there? because it's an advanced RMA..

Back