Sensor Mounting in Apartments.

RogueTadhg

[H]ard|Gawd
For people that can't pound holes into the wall. How do people mount their sensors on their walls?

I was looking at using command strips. But i've been unable to find someone with ideas how to do it.

Pick up a pack of 1/4x20 screws, a pack of 1/4x20 nuts, a pack of brackets and a pack of command strips. Do this:

IMG_20170807_204035.jpg

Yep, i just got these parts yesterday but wont put em up till the weekend.
i originally wanted to put the sensor on the top side so the cable would hang down, but at 7 to 8 feet high, the sensor can't be rotated down far enough, so it may have to go upside down like most examples i have seen, like above.
I was debating bending the L bracket a little more open so it the sensor can be mounted right side up and still be facing down far enough, haven't decided. I don't have the right equipment so worried about curving the flat parts.
For the command strips, i got the large frame hangers which holds up to 16lbs, but more so because there are two parts to it to act like velcro so i can put them up and take them down when i need to.
I did ask a local 3d printer guy about printing something for me like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2365762. i asked about removing the mounting holes (more surface for 3m tape) and opening up the angle to face down, but Inever heard back. I was quoted about CDN$20 for 3 of them as designed.

Last edited:
Saw those but wasn't crazy about the spring tension and may scruff up the stem if i were to put it up and take it down often. wanted something more secure like a screw or bolt for the warm fuzzy safe feeling lol

The best one i liked was this one, but its not a public shared design:
http://forum.vrspies.com/t/oculus-sensor-wall-mounts/947
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oculus-Rift-SENSOR-Wall-Mount-for-CV1/272786926349?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140107083358&meid=43c7cb30f6054a378895e85106e3d06f&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=10&sd=272496976413&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Guy sells it through EBAY UK and shipping to Canada will bring it to almost CDN$60 for 3 of them, and possibly import taxes as well. I will see how the L braces do first ;D

Last edited:
I'd drill and repair a thousand holes in my walls before I spent $60+ on camera mounts. But to each their own...

FWIW I bought security camera mounts from Monoprice for a few dollars each. But I prefer mounting them directly to the wall using drywall anchors anyway.

You can use adhesive gopro hero camera mounts as well. Thats what I mounted my rift cameras with.

Just found these 3M command strip shelves. Might be good for the WAF. They hold 2lbs but they're bit too small. Sensor base would overhang a little.

1334010P
1334006P

BLACK WHITE

I mounted mine with the supplied hardware. Like the OP, I didn't want to drill any holes, but the thought of destroying a lighthouse because it dropped 8' while it was running didn't make me feel too great, so I just bit the bullet.

I will gladly spend a day patching the holes for the peace of mind that the sensors are secure.

Toothpaste.

Works great for patching holes on white walls.

Real drywall spackle is cheaper than toothpaste and does a far better job at patching holes.

Do people really live in apartments that don't allow them to hang anything on the wall? Pictures or otherwise?

Patching a hole left by a drywall anchor is one of the easiest things you can do, and I've never lived in an apartment that doesn't allow you to use them for hanging pictures or anything else.

Real drywall spackle is cheaper than toothpaste and does a far better job at patching holes.

Do people really live in apartments that don't allow them to hang anything on the wall? Pictures or otherwise?

Patching a hole left by a drywall anchor is one of the easiest things you can do, and I've never lived in an apartment that doesn't allow you to use them for hanging pictures or anything else.

Living in the mid-west it was never an issue. On the left coast, it's always been an issue. Even in my own house, I'll go the command strip route because I don't have to touch up the wife's "elegant" color choices...

Painting the whole wall after patching is not something that is easy. Sure if it's a short wall but if it's a long wall.. and painting the whole ceiling would suck even worse!

I just got done fixing up our condo that was rented out the past 4 years and that women had to put a nail in every wall she could find!

I was just gona leave it be cause the thought of painting the whole place again after doing it 4 years earlier.. No thanks. Wife was in a hurry to list it for sale.

I did get stupid and tried to ninja patch them with one coat sparkle that you don't need primer to hide and hit it with some paint with a brush to try and blend it in feathering the edges.. didn't turn out that great. You can tell what I did and you can see the fresh paint at certain angles.

Should of tried it with a foam brush used to staining wood. That might of did a better job.

I'd do command strips. They make versions that would be plenty strong enough.. hell double it up if scared.

Last edited:
Painting the whole wall after patching is not something that is easy. Sure if it's a short wall but if it's a long wall.. and painting the whole ceiling would suck even worse!

I just got done fixing up our condo that was rented out the past 4 years and that women had to put a nail in every wall she could find!

I was just gona leave it be cause the thought of painting the whole place again after doing it 4 years earlier.. No thanks. Wife was in a hurry to list it for sale.

I did get stupid and tried to ninja patch them with one coat sparkle that you don't need primer to hide and hit it with some paint with a brush to try and blend it in feathering the edges.. didn't turn out that great. You can tell what I did and you can see the fresh paint at certain angles.

Should of tried it with a foam brush used to staining wood. That might of did a better job.

I'd do command strips. They make versions that would be plenty strong enough.. hell double it up if scared.

Are you using high gloss paint? Satin and flat are easy to paint without being able to tell a difference. I've done it dozens of times. And we're talking about a hole ~.25 of an inch in diameter.

Yes satin eggshell Behr paint.. No matter how small it leaves a shadow like halo around the spot.

i seen 1 person just use a picture nail and hang a camera mount using the screw hole like it's a painting. 95% sure no landlord can charge you for nail holes as that's considered normal wear and can't be considered damage

I used a small speaker mount for my rear one.

It's a standard 1/4"-20 thread which is what many small speakers use.

Something like this (the L shaped one)

or this.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back