Sennheiser Outlet Store - HD650 $339.97 shipped

I love mine. Highly recommend them if you are interested in these cans. I've had mine for about 6 years now.

Thanks for sharing.
Anyone use them for gaming?

I've been looking for a pair of headphones every since a buyer jacked my astros on Amazon.
So much for Amazon support. The customer never returned them to me and I'm out $250.

Love mine. Use them for music/gaming/movies.
Pretty much need an amp. I mean, they'll make sound without an amp, but it won't do the HD 650's justice.

One of the most comfortable pair of headphones I've used (once the metal slides are adjusted).

Considering there are people out there that still use these without any kind of amplification (think 6-wheel ATV in a Walmart parking lot), a $50 - $100 entry level amp like a FIIO E9 should be more than enough. Some higher-end sound cards like the ZXR also include built-in amps, and while it won't sound like a $800 tube amp, it should be fine for gaming.

I'm one of those people that preferred the HD600s sound over the HD650s....it saved me a few $$ as well. But at this level, it's like being asked to choose between a Rolls-Royce Wraith or a Rolls-Royce Ghost....I will say that I like the way the 600s look, but it was designed in the 90s and some find its headband garish so if you have an eye for aesthetics, then maybe go for the 650s. But that's not why we buy Sennheisers, right?? I think they're pretty classy looking in any case! Too bad for now the 600 and 800 are both sold out.

Awesome headphones for gaming and music. If paired with the right amp, it'll make you wonder if the sound is coming from the outside or inside the game.

If you're on a budget, go for O2 or Schiit Magni Amp. If you have $$ to spare, go for Bottlehead Crack with Speedball Upgrade.

Dammit. I must resist buying the Momentum... I've been eye balling it for a while.

The HD600/650 are not hard to drive. I used an SB X-Fi while gaming on my PC before moving to a desktop dac/amp. They are great and very comfortable, much more so than say my HE-400 or HE-500 due to their weight. I forget the Senn's are on and the ear cups fit my ears perfectly.

I was going to go with the Bottlehead Crack, but missed out before the price increase. I use a Project Ember instead for music to be able to roll tubes, drive various headphones, and is great for the price. Plus Jeremy is a great guy to deal with. Garage1217 just released a solid state (Project Polaris) which should be dead silent without any noise.

The Schiit MM stack is still pretty popular I believe. Really a great deal for the price.

How do the Sennheiser HD650 cans compare to the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X? I got the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X for a steal from Amazon (they are discontinued by manufacturer). I have them hooked up to my PC via FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier. Would the HD 650s be a huge upgrade or more of a sidegrade?

How do the Sennheiser HD650 cans compare to the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X? I got the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X for a steal from Amazon (they are discontinued by manufacturer). I have them hooked up to my PC via FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier. Would the HD 650s be a huge upgrade or more of a sidegrade?

Superior in almost every way except some consider the 650's a bit "dark" which I've never understood. I think the sound signature of the HD650 is one of the most natural I've ever heard. Its so convincing I often find that I mistake sounds inside of a movie/game for real noise coming from outside my headphones , only the HD800's have been able to do that as well against the dozens of cans I've used.

When you consider the comfort , lightweight materials and price the HD650 is really better than anything in the sub $500 price range. The only requirement is that it needs an amp , its rather power hungry.

I would just get the Schiit stack and be done with it. Unless you find yourself wanting to make incremental improvements its not worth dumping more than $200 into a DAC/AMP.

Superior in almost every way except some consider the 650's a bit "dark" which I've never understood. I think the sound signature of the HD650 is one of the most natural I've ever heard. Its so convincing I often find that I mistake sounds inside of a movie/game for real noise coming from outside my headphones , only the HD800's have been able to do that as well against the dozens of cans I've used.

When you consider the comfort , lightweight materials and price the HD650 is really better than anything in the sub $500 price range. The only requirement is that it needs an amp , its rather power hungry.

I would just get the Schiit stack and be done with it. Unless you find yourself wanting to make incremental improvements its not worth dumping more than $200 into a DAC/AMP.

I have experienced the exact phenomenon you described! Where sounds in movies or games freak me out and I think its something behind me.

Hmmm Hd650s when I go to add them to the cart show its out of stock, but page shows in stock still

Edit - no dice for me being able to get those 650s in my cart. Doesn't look like there's a way to contact them and say hey can I still buy these. Got the go ahead to buy a pair from the wife finally but was too late :(

Last edited:

I've noticed this as well, it happens mostly with background noises for me. A fan, footsteps, a door opening or floor creaking, they sound like they're actually happening in the room rather than in your headphones. It makes me look around, mute the headphones for a moment to confirm the source of the sound, then smile at how awesome the HD650's are.

I have these and the 598's.I drive them both through a Schiit asgard amp.The PC has a creative X fi card.I honestly prefer the HD 598's.The 598's are brighter.I am honestly disappointed .I know my experience is different from others but the gist is that these are not a blind buy,hear them before you buy if possible.

Yea, the deal is over. It was only good till the 21st or 22nd (I deleted the email after posting). Congrats to anyone who got an HD650 or better and saved some cash on some great cans. :)

Amazon has 650s now for $399 new and Prime...which is a good bit better than the usual price.

I've had these on my Amazon wishlist for a year and a half and finally pulled the trigger tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I wish I didn't miss the original sale but I'm still happy to get a decent discount.

I already have an E17 so I picked up an E09k to go with it. As an entry level audiophile I'm sure I'll be happy and I'm sure it'll be an upgrade from my 595's... at least I hope.

I've had these on my Amazon wishlist for a year and a half and finally pulled the trigger tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I wish I didn't miss the original sale but I'm still happy to get a decent discount.

I already have an E17 so I picked up an E09k to go with it. As an entry level audiophile I'm sure I'll be happy and I'm sure it'll be an upgrade from my 595's... at least I hope.

Yea its an upgrade from the 595's for sure. But consider (if you want) something like the Schiit mini stack (Modi , Magni) as you want as much clean power and a quality DAC to push them.

Fiio makes good stuff but in general I've had better results with the slightly better. Again , not required but its a great setup within a reasonable price range.

I snagged a pair from amazing too for $390.. got them today and WOW. I don't even have a DAC and headphone amp I want yet (next upgrades) but I'm impressed so far with the sound I'm getting straight out of the box

I just started using mine an hour ago. Wow is right. I haven't hooked my 595's back up to see how much of a difference just the amp would have made but right now these sound miles ahead of them. Everything I put on just sounds so good. I'll be interested to see how much the sound changes as they get broken in. I'm also wondering if I'll ever want to change the amp. Before I heard them I was thinking I would upgrade down the road but honestly right now I don't see the point. I'll probably start thinking otherwise after I get used to them though.

I had the E17/E09k combo when I got my 650 combo; and I was... underwhelmed. The E08k even in high gain just didn't have enough umph to me to make the 650s sound better than my 595/dt770 combo. For similar price point; look for an 02/Odac combo and you'll have better luck. (I had the O2 sitting around for validation; I still ended up building a Schiit Stack to power them, though I went with the Valhalla to smooth things out a bit)

I just started using mine an hour ago. Wow is right. I haven't hooked my 595's back up to see how much of a difference just the amp would have made but right now these sound miles ahead of them. Everything I put on just sounds so good. I'll be interested to see how much the sound changes as they get broken in. I'm also wondering if I'll ever want to change the amp. Before I heard them I was thinking I would upgrade down the road but honestly right now I don't see the point. I'll probably start thinking otherwise after I get used to them though.

Well as you acclimate to them you'll notice just how natural the sound is. Frankly its scary at times how well it can produce accurate minor details so well and something that nothing below its price range can touch.

I have experienced the exact phenomenon you described! Where sounds in movies or games freak me out and I think its something behind me.

I had that same feeling watching a movie with my HE400s on running through the same amp/dac combo. There was dusting blowing by and I looked down at my feet thinking it was there.

I haven't tried the HD650s on the schitt stack, but I'm pretty happy with them with my HE400's. I love the build, warranty, and made in the USA thing. I do use a fio in my living room though for listening to music through my laptop.

I had that same feeling watching a movie with my HE400s on running through the same amp/dac combo. There was dusting blowing by and I looked down at my feet thinking it was there.

I haven't tried the HD650s on the schitt stack, but I'm pretty happy with them with my HE400's. I love the build, warranty, and made in the USA thing. I do use a fio in my living room though for listening to music through my laptop.

LOVE my HE-400s on my Asgard 2. Seriously had the same experience with an old radio playing in the background in a movie. I actually looked at the direction it was playing from thinking my neighbor was blaring it :D

Updated original post for those that missed out on the last one. even better deal this go around. :)

@Godmachine, you seem very knowledgeable about the HD650. Did you replace the stock cable? If so, with what and what differences did you notice. I was going to try BTG Audio. Thanks

I'm waiting on the HE-400i's which I understand lose some of the bass, but the mids and highs are improved. But I did quiet enjoy the HE-400's when I had them.

I bought some new hd 650s on Amazon after I missed the last deal. Amazing cans and worth every penny

I got akg 701s with schiit modi and magni. Would upgrading to HD650 be a huge improvement? I use my cans for gaming more than anything.

Back