Sennheiser HD485 - Should I get an amp?

aybdude42

Limp Gawd
Hey there,

Was wondering if my HD485s would sound better if I added an amp? I've been thinking about picking up a better pair like some Grado's or new Senns, maybe I should pick up an amp now if it would be a difference, or just get some new cans.

Thanks.

only if you have a weak source- like an mp3 player or onboard audio. anything better drives hd485s just fine-they dont need much power

Like ourfpshero said, these headphones are already pretty sensitive (32 ohms / 110db). You may see some benefit going with an amp, but these headphones (and I do own a pair) aren't really great enough to be considered "amp worthy" IMHO. Amps are usually used with the less sensitive / higher impedance headphones.

HB

Like ourfpshero said, these headphones are already pretty sensitive (32 ohms / 110db). You may see some benefit going with an amp, but these headphones (and I do own a pair) aren't really great enough to be considered "amp worthy" IMHO. Amps are usually used with the less sensitive / higher impedance headphones.

HB

I don't know where you've acquired this school of thought, but even with high sensitivity IEMs many will use an amp. The reason for this is the draw on the (often crappy) ICs is too much to even drive the simplest headphones . . . but will work as a basic first stage for an amp. Actually, IMO lower impedance phones are often harder to drive thanks to limited current (same as speakers really).

Of course, considering the cost of the phones there's no reason to go overboard. If you're good with soldering and following directions consider a DIY like the cmoy or grab one on ebay with the "upgraded" components for $50 or so.

And don't be put off that it's DIY or home built either. The same circuit is used in Grado's amp too!

Back