Sennheiser HD-497 opinions

shoes

Limp Gawd
hi. im in the market for some new headphones since my Plantronics Audio90s broke and the Logitech Precision Gaming Headphones that I got for free from bestbuy as a replacement totally suck.

I noticed what I guess is a pretty good deal on Sennheiser HD-497s from Amazon and wonder what you guys think about them and if that is a good deal.

PS: what i consider to be good sound is maybe a little bit better than the sound I got from my audio 90s. (will be plugged into my soundblaster 24-bit)

PPS: i know the a90s are a headset and the hd497s are headphones, but i will just use the mic from my a90s if i have to.

PPPS: do you agree with me that the plantronics headphones suck, or am i just using them incorrectly?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
agreed, the 497s do not suck, they are quite good, the best sub 100 dollar headphone, to quote headroom.com. I did a comparison between them and my Sony MDR-V600s. The Sony's have more bass, but the highs can be shrill, the 497s have good bass, nothing that shakes your head though, and the highs are clear and well extended, not harsh like the sony's. Though a little tight when you first get them, stretch them a little, and they'll be alright. Very light as well btw. All in all, the 497s are great headphones.

ok cool

btw i never said the hd-497s suck, i said the logitech ones suck

I bought them back a year ago for $60 and I didn't regret it. They're much better than the crappy headphones that I've been using previously (Phillips headphones included with a CD-player: need I say more?). They are good cans, especially for $40. They sound pretty decent and are fairly comfortable with less encumberence of a circumaural set (though comfort varies depending on the person wearing them). I don't know how well they do against other headphones in that price range, but I say that you generally can't go wrong with the 497s.

SockMan! said:
I bought them back a year ago for $60 and I didn't regret it. They're much better than the crappy headphones that I've been using previously (Phillips headphones included with a CD-player: need I say more?). They are good cans, especially for $40. They sound pretty decent and are fairly comfortable with less encumberence of a circumaural set (though comfort varies depending on the person wearing them). I don't know how well they do against other headphones in that price range, but I say that you generally can't go wrong with the 497s.
going for $37 shipped atm ;)

But yea, i've had mine for a long time and they're killer in their pricerange.

I've had my HD497s for quite some time now and they have been excellent. Although now I'm looking for a closed upgrade like the AT-a900s.

Newbify2 said:
I've had my HD497s for quite some time now and they have been excellent. Although now I'm looking for a closed upgrade like the AT-a900s.

I went from some well used HD-497's to ATH-A900 (computer use) check my sig for soundsystem. actually i have both headphones right here so lemme do a comparison

a900 owns hd497 for home use cause of::

- more comfortable, as the pads fits Around your ear.
- better positioning in games, if you utilize sound as much as I do youll see yourself improving in counter-strike cause the cans will block out outside noise pretty good, and it's just way easier to concentrate and tell where ppl are running.
- sound is more "rich" sounding, the hd497 sounds kinda laid back with pretty discrete highs, and more dominating bass/mids, the a900 has more.. loud highs, and a litle laidback upper-bass/mids wich makes for very fun and nice sound, IMO, compared to the sennheiser wich will suddenly sound laid-back and boring. Bass is about the same
- funnier listening to music cause of wider soundstage and the more intense sound, the more aggresive highs. (i listen to electronic/house/trance/RnB/rap)

downsides form the upgrade:

-your ears will get pretty warm after a while.. wich is a little annoying honestly, i find myself taking them on and off pretty often cos of this.
-the a900s are a little bit heavier on your head, no biggie...
-there's just no way you're going to wear a900's in public... ;) :D

I for one absolutely hate the HD497s.

They are thieving bastards.

I bought mine a couple of years ago, they were the first quality 'phones I ever heard and I was blown away.
I was amazed how much better they sounded than the $15-20 crap I'd been listening to all my life.

My inqusitive nature lead me to wonder...which lead me to Head-Fi...

The HD497 now rank as the 5th most expensive headphones I own.

BASTARDS!!!

That reminds me, I have to pay off the €100 customs duty on my most recent set of cans tomorrow...

Back