Sennheiser HD-485 :: Full review w/ pics (56k warning)

jesusfr3ak4evr said:
It's interesting that only the 485s have the headphone stand. That's a really neat feature that I'd like on more sennheiser headphones :(

My 595's came with the headphone stand too. Somone told me in another thread that you can buy the headphone stand directly from Sennheiser for about twenty bucks. That's too much, IMO.

For that price range ($50-100), I reccomend checking out the Audio Technica A500 and AD500, actually.

m3ta1head said:
For that price range ($50-100), I reccomend checking out the Audio Technica A500 and AD500, actually.
Would they be good for both music, movies and gaming?

CrimandEvil said:
Would they be good for both music, movies and gaming?

Yes, yes, and yes. Gaming and music especially-the soundstage is unbeatable by anything else in it's range. It doesn't have much of a boomy bass impact, though, so it might not be good for action movies.

Make sure you try ebay, saw these for $55 or so, $12 shipping, there are also some HD555's on there for about $100 - $120.

I'm building a studio, and turning my PC into a DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation )

Looking for a nice pair of studio quality headphones.

Been using HD-497's for about 3+ years and love'em to death. I can only imagine what new higher end HD555's would sound like etc

MrBojangels said:
ew I'll take my soundstage and comfort over grados

Grado headphones are really comfortable after a bit (imo), and what's the complaint with the soundstage? I've found mt SR-60's and SR-80's to be great.

lopoetve said:
Grado headphones are really comfortable after a bit (imo), and what's the complaint with the soundstage?
Most grados (save for perhapse the GS1000) have very little sound stage, if any at all. Try out an HD650, K701, or DT880 and you'll see what we are talking about.

Comfort on the other hand is very opinionated. I would not want to use a grado unless it had a Headphile C-pad on it. For one, the foam gets itchy. Secondly, the foam resting on my ears pushes my ears against my head, and this causes the area between my ears and head to get hot and sweety after an hour of constant use.

There are those who tough it out to listen to them, and then there are even fewer who actually think they are comfortable for extended periods of time.

SixFootDuo said:
Looking for a nice pair of studio quality headphones.

Been using HD-497's for about 3+ years and love'em to death. I can only imagine what new higher end HD555's would sound like etc
I had the HD497 for quite a while, and I think you will find the step up in quality to be decent, although the HD555 arn't the greatest. If you want to make a "DAW", seriously think about getting better headphones (they will pay off big time when hearing the sound reproduced is critical) for a little more money (say the ~200$ range).

Well, that's my advice at least. ^_^

towert7 said:
Most grados (save for perhapse the GS1000) have very little sound stage, if any at all. Try out an HD650, K701, or DT880 and you'll see what we are talking about.

Comfort on the other hand is very opinionated. I would not want to use a grado unless it had a Headphile C-pad on it. For one, the foam gets itchy. Secondly, the foam resting on my ears pushes my ears against my head, and this causes the area between my ears and head to get hot and sweety after an hour of constant use.

There are those who tough it out to listen to them, and then there are even fewer who actually think they are comfortable for extended periods of time.

define soundstage, if you can. I still don't know what you're talking about. They've been some of the clearest and best sounding headphones I've listened to. And yes, comfort is opinionated, but after breaking them in, I've found htem very comfortable, but that is definately me. :-p I also got used to them after wearing a pair of SR-60's for a very long time.

Is there something wrong with them? I mean, they're not as nice as some cans I've used, but they're certainly great for the price

lopoetve said:
define soundstage, if you can. I still don't know what you're talking about. They've been some of the clearest and best sounding headphones I've listened to. And yes, comfort is opinionated, but after breaking them in, I've found htem very comfortable, but that is definately me. :-p I also got used to them after wearing a pair of SR-60's for a very long time.

Is there something wrong with them? I mean, they're not as nice as some cans I've used, but they're certainly great for the price
Being able to tell where a sound is coming from, grados "make you feel like you are at a concert" where as you want a soundstage that sound sounds like its coming from all around you.

Like in CS its easier to tell where someone is shooting at you from with the HD485's then with the SR-60's

^ that's pretty much it, the "feeling" of surroundness you get when listening to a particular score. Grados are designed for the front row feel where sound is in the middle up front whereas Sennheiser naturally is wider and gives much much better effect and more comfortable in movies and games as well as General usage.

I had the Grados....sticking with Sennheiser!

Nice review!

Compared to the HD555's, they don't sound quite as "full" and the range is obviously not a broad. The bass on either is very close to each other, but the HD555's seemed to have slightly tighter bass.

This leaves me a bit confused though. A couple weeks ago a friend stopped by with a pair of HD-485's and SR-225's to hold a little mini meet. I brought a RS-1, and DT770/250. The HD-485 had a very, very strong bass. Sloppy, but it had a very large volume, even more so than the DT770. I wouldn't call the bass of the HD-485 close to that of a HD-555/595 (I've had the 595 for a couple of months, some time ago), it's so much stronger.

digitalmind said:
Nice review!

This leaves me a bit confused though. A couple weeks ago a friend stopped by with a pair of HD-485's and SR-225's to hold a little mini meet. I brought a RS-1, and DT770/250. The HD-485 had a very, very strong bass. Sloppy, but it had a very large volume, even more so than the DT770. I wouldn't call the bass of the HD-485 close to that of a HD-555/595 (I've had the 595 for a couple of months, some time ago), it's so much stronger.

Depends on how old the 485 are, when mine were a few weeks old (couple months maybe too) the bass was very strong and mids a bit too light but now that I've used them well over 500 hours they have evened out to the level of my floorstanding speakers to the point that I get the same experience listening to both!

lopoetve said:
define soundstage, if you can.
The two main types are for music and games.

First off, the easy one: Games.
In games, with the grado's, I can't pick up on positional cues, such as where sounds are comming from in the 360 degree sound field. All the sound seems like it's being forced into my ears. I don't know if a sniper shot came from the top-back-right, or from the direct back, or from directly below me on the grados. Swap over to my beyer's, and the sound directionality is there. I *can* pinpoint sounds to where they are in the game.

In music. The grado's sound seems as if it's being forced into my ears from both sides, which creates an "in the center of the head" effect. For some this is fine, it makes them feel like they are right with the musicians. Ploop on a DT770pro or an HD650 and sounds originate from outside of the head (sometimes with a good recording they can even sound like they are comming from another room in the house (had that happen to me twice)).

Is one better than the other? That's up to each person. But to me the grado's have almost no soundstage to speak of. It's all forced into my head. (again, save for the GS1000).

No, your two grado's arn't bad, it's just some people like them and other's dont. For the price they are fairly good values.

gotcha. Used them almost exclusively for music and games... didn't have the issues you had with games (I guess I got used to them? :p), and for music, well, I'm a musician, and that sounded more normal to me :)

Anyway, I love both them and my Senn. HD-280 Pro's that I have.

SJetski71 said:
Thx for taking the time to review and compare for us. I had considered getting a set of hd555's to replace my current secondary set, maybe i'll audition the hd485's at the same time.

Oh yea, couldn't help but notice this statement: QFT, If i've said it once i've said it a thousand times, you don't need 6 speakers taped to your head to get positional audio :p

heehee

hmmm, maby it's time for me to upgrade my headphones, since I use the kinyo ones, maby I'll bite with the 485.

AzN1337c0d3r said:
I wish Sennheiser would have included it with the HD5xx/6xx series.

My HD595's came with the headphone hanger. I saw someone post some time back that you can buy them directly from Sennheiser but they charge around twenty bucks for them.

im still using my 485's after about a yearish. i have to say that im very pleased with what i got for the $$ i spent. the sound is still excellent and i havent experienced any popping or distortion yet. i love them, and im sticking with them.

alkaline said:
im still using my 485's after about a yearish. i have to say that im very pleased with what i got for the $$ i spent. the sound is still excellent and i havent experienced any popping or distortion yet. i love them, and im sticking with them.
I'm in need of good cheap headphones so I hope Newegg isn't lying and they actually get some in by Friday.

Yay sennheiser!

I've a pair of HD457's I use with my computer that are about 3 years old and I just bought a pair of PMX60 yesterday to use with my mp3 player, after I broke the crap sony ones I had for it :p

Oh, and my mp3 player died on me last night. Kinda ironic :D

Greetings All,

Nice thread, thanks for the reviews.

On thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the 485 is a low impedance (32 ohm) phone, while the higher-numbered Sennheisers, (555, 580, etc.) are higher impedance (120 ohm). Portables are designed for low impedance phones (a home amp can drive either).and may not be able to drive high impedance phones to satisfying volumes with full sound and low distortion.

In a nutshell, the higher-numbered phones may require an add-on amp to sound good with an mp3 player, but the 585 should be fine without one.

Another factor to consider is that some portables--the ipod, for instance--have significant bass rolloff, and the 485 would compensate for that.

Those factors may translate to PC soundcards as well. :confused:

I'm planning to get the 485 for my 5.5G ipod, and I'll let you know. I also have the Sennheiser 580 and the Etymotic ER-4S for comparison (both high impedance), and I'll let you know. I'm excited, because from what I've read, the 485 would eliminate that thin, dry sound that I've heard out of portables without an add-on amp. Here's hoping. :p

Hope this helps, comments encouraged. :D

Edit: PS Amazon has the lowest price I've found on the 485

Just got the 485's for 65 dollars on newegg. I'm lovin them so far. (My only complaint is that they are not as comfortable as my Sony MDR-CD580's). Nice clean bass, just how I like it. :)

I've always wondered how the HD-485 sound in comparison to a Koss KSC75. I know the KSC75 could hold it's own to the HD497, but where the 485 fits into the equation I don't know.

DrDeville, should be interesting to see how they compare to your other two headphones.

I owned both teh koss ksc-75 and my current 485's.

The sennheiser sounds fuller, warmer. The Koss in comparison sounds thinner and not as full ( ofcourse that is expected for clip ons.) None the less, I like the koss better for fast paced songs, until I modded it and broke it ofcourse, but I LOVE my HD485, been using them for around 2 years.

Clipped on the zalman mic and I have a nice gaming headset and a good can for music. ( Not to mention Lord of the Rings sounds amazing.

Based on the talk on this thread, I ended out getting the HD-485's from newegg along with a Zalman clip-on mic and I have to say these headphones are phenominal for the price. I play alot of BF2142 and BF2 and people swear I have a hack because I can hear them sneeking up and me despite all the explosions going on around. Also, there is no crackling sound when explosions are turned up loud. I was previously using a pair of Plantronics Audio 90s and they should nice for the $20, but I got tired of replacing them every 3 months because they either fell apart or started crackling and dropping the right channel altogether from time to time.
I've tried out the Icemat Siberia and Steelpad headphones and the Sennheiser HD-485s just plain ace them in every respect. I highly recommend these headphones. :D

Give it a few weeks, after drive in they will continue to get better and better as treble levels out and bass becomes more natural. Each month you will notice them progress in quality.

Mine are like a year old now and they are outstanding. I've dropped it a few times on my wood floor though so some of the earcup clips on the inside has broken off :(

ive owned mine for a few months, and yes they do sound much better once you broke them in for a while, there great with my tiny mp3 player, not even using an amp.... get 32ohm's, and has good bass, treble, and midrange, amazing for the price.....

Although an amp with it would sound nicer......

robbiekhan said:
Mine are like a year old now and they are outstanding. I've dropped it a few times on my wood floor though so some of the earcup clips on the inside has broken off :(

Two of the clips just recently broke on mine too (might have been sat on once) :/

Anyone know of any decent way to fix this?

post-946-1165569637.jpg

Whoa, this thread is still alive and kickin'!! right on!

Since i'm hear, may as well mention that being well over a year old, I can vouch for their durability and say that they still surprise me and have not, in the slightest bit, lowered in sound quality or shown any sort of wear and tear. I was kinda worried about the soft pads flattening over time but they simply haven't. I'm pretty nice to em so that might play a role in the durability, but they've just been fantasic for the entire time I've owned them.

to the above poster: Do you still have the clips? If you do, I would try the craziest plastic super glue you can find. Or better yet, maybe hot glue the pad back on there. Use the hot glue sparringly if you decide to go for it. That's what I would do atleast.

sarro said:
Two of the clips just recently broke on mine too (might have been sat on once) :/

Anyone know of any decent way to fix this?

post-946-1165569637.jpg
Don't they have like a 2year warranty?

Well I finally bought them, and they should arrive on friday.

I hope thier much better then my cheapo headphones, all I have right now is...

Sony VDR-V250s: Sounds kinda muddled, plus hurts my head after I listen to them, needless to say I don't use them anymore.

Koss UR-18s: Comfortable and they sound alright, since I have never had anything better I'm not sure what improvement I will see when I get the Sennheisers.

DrDeville said:
Greetings All,

Nice thread, thanks for the reviews.

On thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the 485 is a low impedance (32 ohm) phone, while the higher-numbered Sennheisers, (555, 580, etc.) are higher impedance (120 ohm). Portables are designed for low impedance phones (a home amp can drive either).and may not be able to drive high impedance phones to satisfying volumes with full sound and low distortion.

In a nutshell, the higher-numbered phones may require an add-on amp to sound good with an mp3 player, but the 585 should be fine without one.

Another factor to consider is that some portables--the ipod, for instance--have significant bass rolloff, and the 485 would compensate for that.

Those factors may translate to PC soundcards as well. :confused:

I'm planning to get the 485 for my 5.5G ipod, and I'll let you know. I also have the Sennheiser 580 and the Etymotic ER-4S for comparison (both high impedance), and I'll let you know. I'm excited, because from what I've read, the 485 would eliminate that thin, dry sound that I've heard out of portables without an add-on amp. Here's hoping. :p

Hope this helps, comments encouraged. :D

Edit: PS Amazon has the lowest price I've found on the 485

The 555s work fine on portables. In fact my 555s sound better on my mini than from my Audigy. Maybe that says something about the Audigy :rolleyes:.

I've tried 485. Did not like them one bit. The bass is flabby and overpowering.

If you think bass on the 485 is overpowering.... then i say stay far far far away from the dt770's or any other higher end can.... to me the 485's bass sounds lifeless and boring

OP, can you tell where things are in front of you, behind you, etc. or just left and right in BF2 with those cans?

Back