Sennheiser HD-485 :: Full review w/ pics (56k warning)

Eagle156 said:
OP, can you tell where things are in front of you, behind you, etc. or just left and right in BF2 with those cans?
I haven't played BF2 in awhile, but I know that in dod:s and cs:s, i can hear anyone near me with enough time to prepare.

i need a set of these like I need a hole in the head, but I'm damn tempted to buy some just for that cool ass headphone stand.

lol, if memory serves Meier Audio will sell you one of those stands.

LunchboX3904 said:
I haven't played BF2 in awhile, but I know that in dod:s and cs:s, i can hear anyone near me with enough time to prepare.

No, what I mean is can you tell exactly what direction they are coming from; ie in the front left/right or rear, or does it all sound the same?

the hd555 IMO is worth the extra money from the HD485.... it's either get the 485 or go all the way for the 555. Forget the 515 even exist.

can others confirm this?

because i'm in the stage to choose between
hd485 and hd 555

what should i take? which are better? argh...i want them mostly for hip hop and movies

No, what I mean is can you tell exactly what direction they are coming from; ie in the front left/right or rear, or does it all sound the same?

I know this is kind of late, but I can hear exactly where they are, very good sound as well, best set of headphones I've ever owned.

perfect for hiphop and movies....

I use these headphones competivily for CS:Source, very nice. Very good soundstage to hear footsteps.

HD280 pro is around the same price if you look around... probably much better.

Yeah, I revived, so what...

HD280 pro is around the same price if you look around... probably much better.

I don't know about you, but it's sometimes best not to say things in terms of "probably"....
Another unknowing person may actually think that what you say is fact...

Personally i love the HD485's. I don't know what it is but these just sound absolutely perfect for just about anything for me. Yes, sound quality is subjective so everyone's experience as well as their preferences vary. But for me, these headphones do it all for me. Music has never sounded so good before to me until i picked these up. Gamewise, i can hear everything going on without having to crank up the volume to ridiculous levels. As for comfort? They fit over my ears perfectly. What I really love about them is that they feel a lot sturdier than anything I've used in the past. I have a big head, so yes, this is of great concern to me. :D

I think the only way these could sound better would be maybe an amp, a recabling job that I'm too chicken to do, or just flat out upgrading to something better. I'm probably going to get the HD555's for my dad for his birthday. He's a big time oldies fan, and fell in love with how his music sounded through the HD485's.

I live in Ottawa Canada,and want a set,but do 98% of my purchases with NCIX,and they say they cannot get them :( They are an authorized Senn dealer,and the largest in Canada.

Anyone know a place that has them and will ship up here... ?

I don't know about you, but it's sometimes best not to say things in terms of "probably"....
Another unknowing person may actually think that what you say is fact...

I guess. :D

I'm currently in the process of ordering a pair but have no clue what to get. The 280 are sweet but looking to try an open pair of phones. Been really wanting the 555 but they are just a tad too pricey right now. Don't have the luxury of spending 115 on a pair right now. May not have a choice but to try the 485!

I also believe the impedance on the 555 is not correct. It might actually be much lower than the 120 stated. Hence should play on portables fine.

btw creative sux. :)

Back