Sennheiser GSX 1000

p_monks33

Limp Gawd
Anyone out there using this for gaming? I currently run the G5 from sound blaster with my DT990 600OHM, and it sounds just ok. All the settings on it really suck though, and its surround emulation is pretty bad.

Sorry, the Soundblaster G5 is capable of driving 600 Ohms, the DT 990s I use are 250 Ohms. The SB G5 has plenty of volume, at 50% it's too loud for my comfort, but like I was saying the surround features are pretty bad. I'm curious if it's just reviewers getting excited over nothing, or is the GSX 1000 that good at producing surround effects.

The discussion I've read at another site (OC) seems to indicate that this has the best available headphone surround sound. For most everything else, it's supposed to be adequate to merely good.

Anyone out there using this for gaming? I currently run the G5 from sound blaster with my DT990 600OHM, and it sounds just ok. All the settings on it really suck though, and its surround emulation is pretty bad.

The surround stuff isn't really that bad. It's performance varies widely across different headphones though. I've got a cheaper pair of Sony headphone monitors I use for gaming, and the surround in them is pretty dang good.

Do you have any other headphones to test?

I have some high end IEM's that I could test out, but that wouldn't really be something I would want to use full time. It just seems as if all the setting on the G5 just add some sort of cheesy reverb, and if you don't want to turn any of those features on, your headphones lose a considerable amount of volume. I feel as if the G5 is worth the small amount I paid for it, just wondering if the sennheiser stuff really sounds that much better?

Not sure if the GSX 1000 has the juice for the 600 ohm 990. I've heard it's primary weakness is a not so powerful amp section.

Take a look at the Soundblaster X7. It does have enough juice, and it's VSS is top tier. On par or better than the GSX according to some. (These two are compared heavily over at head-fi.)

The X7 uses a different VSS than the G5 I believe. Creatives line up is a little confusing as I believe the E5, which looks almost exactly the same, also uses a different VSS solution than the G5 and is closer to the X7. Take a look at that one as well.

recent windows updates have made the device unuseable for OBS studio / streamlabs ☹️

everytime I try to capture audio1 ( GSX main audio ) + audio2 ( GSX earphone ) + microphone input something breaks, microphone input stops working and/or audio1 craps out

there are some problems with discord as well, you can't have audio1 and audio2 working simultaneously during 7.1 gaming :/
played some back 4 blood beta the day before yesterday and audio1 (game audio) was totally silent, I could only hear my old l4d teammates on audio2 ...

according to my findings there are only 2 solutions so far

1) switch to 2.0 mode ( bye bye surround sound)
2) disable GSX earphone and use audio1 only (bye bye voice chat volume rocker)

I do not remember having any problems before the 21H1 update ... any other OBS users out there ??

PS : the device is always set to 7.1 48khz 16bit, 44.1 does not appear to make any difference

Back