Sending/Recieving 4million bytes per hour, HELP!

C|ip$3

Limp Gawd
I had the problem awhile back, and I posted here. It was sending/recieving 30million bytes per hour, its gone down since as you can see. I have no Anti-Virus software first off, McAfee's free virus scan says I have no virus, and Ive used "Search And Destroy" and it didnt find any spyware. Im on a network with another computer. Both computers connect into a router(US Robotics) and the Cable Modem connects into the router also. My NEC card is old(3com 3C450 Fast Ethernet Adapter), but I have tired my onboard LAN also (gotten the same problem). Im running Windows XP Pro also. I find that I send and recieve alot of traffic while Im playing Day of Defeat on STEAM, for example my send goes from 100k to 3.5million in a hour, and my recieve goes from 200k to 5.5million in a hour.

I finding these numbers under Network Connection and by double clicking on Local Area Connection. It is bytes not packets, Im sure of it. People have said the numbers aren't correct. I disagree, becuase before this problem I could play on this certain DOD server and ping 120 - 150 now seen the problem its been 200 - 250.

Any help would be great!

no shit you send and recieve more while on steam, you are playing a game and its sending and recieving packets based on the other players in the game

Yes, but I shouldnt be sending and recieving that much in a hour.

I hope I'm not confusing ethernet traffic here, but IP packets change in size, so a "packets sent" stat really can't tell you too much, especially when you consider your using UDP to play those games which will resend packets that don't arrive intact.

Also usually network connections are rated in BITS per second, not BYTES (although when dealing with MSIE or such they will probably use K/Bytes) Just supposing your right though, 4 Million bytes = 4Megabytes an hour, not exactly alot when your playing that game constantly.

Your total throughput ( recieved/sent ) is 30 megs.

That's perfectly reasonable when you are playing an online game.

Originally posted by Brink
I hope I'm not confusing ethernet traffic here, but IP packets change in size, so a "packets sent" stat really can't tell you too much, especially when you consider your using UDP to play those games which will resend packets that don't arrive intact.

Actually, that's TCP you're thinking of. UDP has no error-checking (except for the integral packet checksum), and no facility for requesting resends, unlike TCP.

it was wayyyy too early when I responded =P

I claim insanity

It is not unusual for DoD or other games to send up 25-40 packets per second, and receive from the server perhaps 100-150. It may only be a few KB per second, but it adds up. Newer games like BF1942, COD, etc., use even more.

Originally posted by XOR != OR
Your total throughput ( recieved/sent ) is 30 megs.

That's perfectly reasonable when you are playing an online game.

Yes, but before the problem originally started, I would play online games and never have this much traffic. When my ISP caps their cable internet to 5GB per month (upload 2.5gb, download 2.5gb) and with me downloading other files, the traffic from gaming would add up over time.

If you need to know how much data you're going through, use performance monitor and set a counter to monitor the network traffic. It will give you a reading in bytes per second if you so desire. And yes, games chew up a lot of bandwidth. If that's unacceptable, don't play games or find a new ISP.

do a netstat in the command line and find out what internet connections you have

also get some monitoring software, bandwith meter pro worked great for me.

Originally posted by Snugglebear
If you need to know how much data you're going through, use performance monitor and set a counter to monitor the network traffic. It will give you a reading in bytes per second if you so desire. And yes, games chew up a lot of bandwidth. If that's unacceptable, don't play games or find a new ISP.

Problem with getting a new ISP, my ISP is a monopoly :(

Back