send message to workgroup computer via windows 10 home ?

IAmForum

Weaksauce
Is there software or a way to send a notification / message to another computer on the local network.

I am running Windows 10 home, so "Net Send" & MSG.exe will not work.
Is there another piece of software that can help with this ?

I have workstations all over the building, and I need a way to identify a certain computer's location via the IP address or the computer name.
What would be great is a way to send a message to the computer stating "Please contact your IT department upon receiving this message".

Is there a way ?

In today's world, most of the users would just click it thinking it was a virus or spam and move on.

For communications like this, an official email is a good thing or simply taking a stroll to the workstations themselves. I'm actually surprised you don't have some sort of dhcp reservation list or a spreadsheet with all the system details.

Like said above, an email with a little script to run that will send to you all you need to know about the machine IP, mac, computer name, with the script asking for the user a location ?

If there is too many computer to do it by scrolling, I imagine many employees will not do it (for good, sound like some corporate attack and bad reason)

Can you kill the network for the computer so they're likely to call and complain? :)

Can you kill the network for the computer so they're likely to call and complain? :)
LOL
There was no "spreadsheet with all the system details" ever created.
I am starting from scratch with inventorying all devices.
It appears we have some static IP's in the DHCP IP range.

We have devices connected to the network that are around 13+ years old, and I am trying to figure out what everything is and replace the crap.

Zenmap & "Advanced IP Scanner" have helped me figure out alot of information about the devices on the network, but some devices just don't really give any information.

1. Start ping to IP. Find MAC address from ARP table.
2. Find MAC on switch and block MAC at switch level.
3. Wait for call about no connection.

Called the SCREAM Test ;)

Spend one Saturday in the office and, gather machine info, install vnc (with a pw), add into nremote so you can get to them from your desk in the future.
But machines all over the building wh no domain?

1. Start ping to IP. Find MAC address from ARP table.
2. Find MAC on switch and block MAC at switch level.
3. Wait for call about no connection.

Called the SCREAM Test ;)
<----evil laugh
I like this one.

Back