Senator Wants To Study Games' Links To Violent Crime

HardOCP News

[H] News
Where do I sign up to waste millions of tax payer dollars to "study" video games and the (non-existent) link to violence? Oh yeah, I forgot, you have to be a politician first. :rolleyes:

A state senator wants to study video games and their possible link to violent crime, but representatives of the multi-billion dollar industry say the study could besmirch the reputation of a vital economic engine by duplicating work that has already shown no causal relationship between the two.

I tell you what, hook me up with the premier gaming rig, a comfy chair, plenty of snacks, and GTA 5. Let me play for the better part of a day, then leave a knife, and bat, and a loaded gun on a table with these senators and I'll give them their results.

Politics makes me wants to kill people more than Videogames ever have.

I think the link is more along the lines of poor parenting, babysitting by video game and movie, and no moral code due to no real good family structure/upbringing.

Please send the check to me :D

Read: Politicians doing their damnedest to find justification to stifle free speech a little more

I guess that just means he's a F.U.C.K.I.N.G. idiot! (FC3: Blood Dragon reference, baby!) :D

As long as this study also test the relationship with violent video games to non-violent people so they know if there's actually a relationship or not.

Read: Politicians doing their damnedest to find justification to stifle free speech a little more

The real problem is the game industry has been living in la-la land for so long and never even once thought about paying off the politicians. How could game creators they be that idiotically stupid? Come on...everyone knows you can't make money in this country without paying your dues to the power class.

Haven't there already been enough of these wastes of time and money? How many more studies do we need to throw millions of dollars at while the economy is in the toilet?

I tell you what, hook me up with the premier gaming rig, a comfy chair, plenty of snacks, and GTA 5. Let me play for the better part of a day, then leave a knife, and bat, and a loaded gun on a table with these senators and I'll give them their results.

I don't know why but I read this in Hank Hill's voice.

Haven't there already been enough of these wastes of time and money? How many more studies do we need to throw millions of dollars at while the economy is in the toilet?
The more studies done, the more previous findings on the subject will be reinforced.

I say let them study.

You know, linking violent video games to violent crimes is asinine. Of course violent people play violent video games. The real problem is if violent video games turn good people into criminals. If you can prove that then that's completely different than simply showing violent people play those types of games.

I'm open to the idea that some people who have never committed a violent crime, that are in certain mental states, may be prone to influence from violent games. I definitely don't think that the majority are affected one way or another.

What a dumbass. How many of these studies do we have to do? The media just ignores the results and reports what sells anyway.

I want to study how violent crime leads to games being made. It makes just as much sense.

The only violent crimes being committed are the one's caused by assholes like this spending fuck-tons of money on bullshit like this!

Dumbest thing ever. I played the original Doom and Wolfenstein at the age of like 6-8 easily. I just thought wow FPS's are fun. I own several guns, never shot at anything breathing. Just the usual targets, fruit, occasional 2 liter.

Watched Die Hard and similar movies at 10, all I got out of it was man Bruce Willis kicks ass.

No idea what invisible connection they are trying to find, it ain't there.

Poverty has a far stronger link to violent crime. Maybe he should try to figure that one out.

Politics as usual. Blame games, movies, anything but failed policy and the real issues that contribute to the problem. But they have no problem accepting funding from the movie/game studios. Hypocrites! :mad:

A guns is and inanimate tool, it's the mentally unstable ass clown holding it that does all the killing. Blame them!

What a dumbass. How many of these studies do we have to do? The media just ignores the results and reports what sells anyway.

Kind of like with guns causing violence...the media completely ignores the results so they can push the people control agenda.

I would like to read a study on the link between people with an endless appetite for control over others and government positions they rabidly seek to feed this appetite.

Do we have some sort of tally or chart that keeps track of how many times this has been done?

The nanny state continues. Don’t eat this, don’t play that.
Where does it stop? Hopefully people who read this article will wake up and stop bitching and actually do something about the government nanny state mentality. It does not matter what team you voted for, this type of “We know what is better for you than you do” push by the people who supposedly work for us, needs to be purged from our government. The key word here is “our”…. We the people.
They divide us on issues, and while we are distracted they encroach further into our private lives.

One thing I wish these politicians would stop to look at is this:

If video games, particularly the violent ones, are such a cause of violence, wouldn't you think that we'd see a massive rise is violence? IIRC, isn't there some FBI data showing a downward trend in violence?

There's been a rise in violence in my city this year, but just about every single one is gang-related. I'm not saying these guys don't play video games, but I do know that's not what the investigations point as the root of the issue in the cases.

I tend to believe it's a failed attempt to scapegoat video games more than anything else. I mean, did that Al Capone guy kill or have killed people? I don't think Cain and Abel had an Xbox either. How many hours in GTA did John Wayne Gacy put in before he started murdering?

I see an attempt to blame anything, and everything for horrible things except the person who did them. We blame an inanimate object, guns, music, magazines, video games, etc. Some folks may be more influenced by them than others, but these things still don't perpetrate the crimes anymore than a car goes out and runs over a cheating ex.

3fd7.jpg

Maybe Congress should study the link between blind patriotism and militarism. .Gov sanctions way more killing than video games ever have, or ever will.

I'm sure desensitising kids to violence has some sort effect on them, but we can use the evening news for that. Video games are kind of fringe.

Teen pregnancy is out of control while a showing a nipple is about the equivalent of showing the beheading of children on television, so I'm thinking censorship doesn't work.

When the hell are those idiots going to figure out its not violent games that make people want to kill people, its lack of personal liability.
We've been told so long we're not responsible for out own actions, its our environment, the games we play, the people around us, that make us do what we do that we do what we want because someone else is always to blame!
You want things to change?
Make people take responsibility for their own actions.
Here's a study for you, start with equal numbers of test groups of parents.
Make group A make their children take responsibility for their actions and push their kids to have a strong work ethic, strong moral fiber and a desire to want more out of life.
Make group B let their children do whatever the hell they want, then tell them nothing is their fault and its ok, no need to work hard the government is going to take care of you.
Make the study last 20 years, the group with the least amount of children in jail/ on welfare wins!
I bet if you game both groups all the violent video games you wanted, group A would still pull out ahead by a longshot.

When the hell are those idiots going to figure out its not violent games that make people want to kill people, its lack of personal liability.
We've been told so long we're not responsible for out own actions, its our environment, the games we play, the people around us, that make us do what we do that we do what we want because someone else is always to blame!
You want things to change?
Make people take responsibility for their own actions.
Here's a study for you, start with equal numbers of test groups of parents.
Make group A make their children take responsibility for their actions and push their kids to have a strong work ethic, strong moral fiber and a desire to want more out of life.
Make group B let their children do whatever the hell they want, then tell them nothing is their fault and its ok, no need to work hard the government is going to take care of you.
Make the study last 20 years, the group with the least amount of children in jail/ on welfare wins!
I bet if you game both groups all the violent video games you wanted, group A would still pull out ahead by a longshot.

Unfortunately no one would actually sanction a study like that.
That being said, I completely agree with you. Lack of accountability is one of the main problems we have today.

Back