Senator To Gamers: Shut Up, You Have No Credibility

Disclaimer: I live in California currently for a job, but I am not from this asshat state.

The politicians and a large majority of the population in this state are fucking morons. The dumber it sounds, the more the politicians and populace will support it. Fucking idiots.

Ultimately, this is one of the key, and most disgusting, parts of modern politics: discrediting, rather than debating, your opponent. I watched a segment yesterday from British politics, where they interviewed a couple of politicians regarding Scotland's interest in breaking away from England. On one side, Nigel Farage of UKIP, and on the other, a representative of the SNP in Scotland. They talked first to Farage, who gave his argument for why Scotland should stay out of the EU if they separate. Then the other guy started speaking.

He talked for literally 10 seconds before saying that the UKIP party was racist. What does that have to do with Scotland breaking away from the England, or its relationship to the EU? Fucking nothing. The majority of politics is dominated by people trained not in making their argument, but in making their opponents out to be horrible people. Shut up, you're racist. Shut up, you're sexist. Shut up, you're bigoted against this or that. Shut up, you're in the pocket of X industry. Shut up, you want puppies to die if you don't agree with me.

Let it burn.

Excellent post and exactly right. It happens on forums, politics, everything now. Pathetic.

Oh, I'm so going to swiftboat your kenyan birth certificate for injecting any sense into a political debate!

He said multiple times on camera he was from Kenya..... And wrote it on his college application. Just saying.

No, but the bulk of them are under 18 and tea-bagging your mom while calling your racist epitaphs online.

This is what politicians see, not the quiet mind your own business older gamers who dont cause issues.

Citation please, because I'll bet the bulk of gamers are OVER 18. There being so many more people over the age of 18, then under the age of 19 and all...

So, I play games like everyone else, and shooters are what I play the most considering, sure I play other gerne too, but I have to say shooters gotta be the top players for me.

I also have a black belt in Gracie Jiujitsu (Brazilian Jiujitsu) and a Nidan (Second Degree blackbelt) in Karate.

I have 2 smal kids, and a wife, I am 35 years old, and never and I mean never got into a fight or argument with anyone (outside my wife of course lol), so I am as peacefull as you possibly could get. I also spent my 1 year mandatory service of the Brazilian army when I was younger, so I have plenty of gun trainning.

So shouldn't all this make me a very angry-violent person?

According this type of looser, I should be a manace to society.

Also, I forgot to mention, I work in IT (Systems Engineer/Administrator), as you know, they are stressfull jobs.

So one more reason to go on a killing spree?

Give me a break...

Canada must not get the same violent video games and violent movies as 'merica? pretty sure they have zero gun violence compared to the USA.

Yee never does anything aside from try to take people's rights away. Tried taking my bullet button AR away this summer!

And will be doing so again this year. Accept his new bill is even more harsh. I think it will pass. Luckily, I doubt anything video game related will pass.

this guy is an absolute idiot, hes taken the exact same stance on semi auto sport rifles. Someone that knows absolutely nothing about them is allowed to bring forth legislation, but the literal experts have no say. what a fucking joke

According this type of looser, I should be a manace to society.

Most of these anti-video game advocates (can't speak for this guy), are arguing that violent video games may have a trigger affect on individuals pre-disposed with an already established propensity for violence and/or underlying mental health illness.

The fact is, regardless of any influence from video games (which is still yet to be proven), the people who commit these heinous crimes are going to snap, one way or the other.

Scapegoating is just an ongoing smokescreen to avoid the greater, real issues such as mental health awareness & treatment etc.

If video games were a serious and valid cause for the increase in violent crimes, why are we not seeing the same increased rates of violence in other large video gaming populaces other than the United States?

Its easy for politicians and public figures to use the media as a scapegoat. Blaming violence on movies, the news, and video games. They never blame bad parenting or talk about treating the mentally ill. They never talk about having gun safety courses and telling parents how to secure their guns from their children. so they just play the blame game.

Can't read the whole article but funny me I didn't realize all gamers are kids. . .

Guess you haven't been on Xbox live in the last 5 years. I never knew how "(loose) my f@ggot n-word grandmother" was until i was informed by some mickey mouse voice rugrat emboldened by a mouth full of hotpockets and belly full of Sunny D.

"This is about their self-interest."

Unlike all of our fine politicians who only represent the interests of the constituents, and never their own. :rolleyes:

Yee is a total scumbag and along with Steinberg, Perez, and oh hell pretty much the entire legislature has this State headed off the cliff with their foot firmly on the accelerator.

I think the Wife and I are going to pull the plug and move our kids to a better place.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

4.) The average game player is 30 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
5.) The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 35 years old.
Still not really relevant if you're talking about violent video games influence on young children to which any research would be done into so the avg age of gamers in the article is in relation to their young age not just the general demographic of "gamer"
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Video-games-drawn-into-violence-debate-4219013.php#page-1#page-1
the Supreme Court ruled that there was no proof that video game violence caused violence in minors any more than any other media and most gamers thought this wild debate would eventually disappear.

Making a non-agrument into an argument by insisting we treat minors the same as adults when that is not the norm.

Little kids aren't supposed to be playing any violent video games anyway so lets put the blame where it should go which is on shitty humans not properly bringing up their offspring.

Don't have kids if you can't spend the time properly molding them. Stop giving your kids a pill for every fucking-thing as well.

Remember that time that psycho kid dressed up as Master Chief and went to Best Buy and blew away all those people waiting in line for Halo 4?

Remember that time that psycho kid dressed up as Master Chief and went to Best Buy and blew away all those people waiting in line for Halo 4?

good times, good times. i bet the kid blamed it on his parents and they went to jail instead.

Bad parenting makes bad kids which grow into bad adults which sometimes become criminals. Crazy part....no games required. However my point above was small children aren't even supposed to be playing violent video games (what the senator was talking about) so it shouldn't even be a political topic.

He should look into the real problems, prescription pills and kids growing up knowing we have the worlds most violent government/military on the planet.

To put it in terms for gamers , Leland Yee is epic fail the supreme court said, gg and have fun :) .

Its easy for politicians and public figures to use the media as a scapegoat. Blaming violence on movies, the news, and video games. They never blame bad parenting or talk about treating the mentally ill. They never talk about having gun safety courses and telling parents how to secure their guns from their children. so they just play the blame game.

That's the whole point of the nanny state. The government wants to replace parents. Liberals want to be the ones who are responsible for your kids. They want to teach them morals, be responsible for their education, keep them safe etc. Sadly, parents don't seem to mind handing their kids over to the state more and more.

State senator Yee.

Let's not keep omitting that key word there. Local politicians and controversial statements go together like milk and coffee.

Correction "... politicians and controversial [ill informed, moronic, asinine, pandering, pointless, stupid etc] statements go together like milk and coffee."

Politicians should have to to do 10 years hard labor after getting out office. And they should have term limits for all political offices.

The should also be held legally liable for all statements and votes made, including wasting taxpayers time. I also vote for tracking them and all business and financial transactions being public knowledge during and for 5 years following departure from office.

Saying gamers (though I have never really considered myself a "gamer", I am terrible at FPS's and I think that is the entry card to this group) have no credibility while you are a politician is ironic, and arrogant as heck. IIRC politicians in general have the lowest approval rating among most professions; on par if not worse then lawyers, con men and Bernie Madoff.

I guarantee there's more of a correlation between taking God out of schools and crazy shootings than video games and crazy shootings.You teach kids we all came from monkeys,everyone is entitled to "their own moral code" and whatnot and there are no repercussions for their actions, and that's what happens.Now if a kid is taught "Thou shalt not kill" and knows that if you do..there are eternal consequences;That might make them think twice.

Unfortunatley CA is a one party state, Commie. This state is so friggen Liberal it makes NY look Conservative. And it is bankrupt. Ye is the biggest Commie of all time, he needs a 10 pound bag for dung stuffed in his pie hole. His last bill was to attempt to ban all guns with removable magazines. Classify them as assault weapons. Voting these AH's out of office is next to impossible, the Commies in SF, Santa Cruz and LA love them. The also stuff the ballot box with votes from all the illegals. Build your train to nowhere Gubernor Moonbeam, fill it full of politicians and drive it off a cliff.

Unfortunatley CA is a one party state, Commie. This state is so friggen Liberal it makes NY look Conservative. And it is bankrupt. Ye is the biggest Commie of all time, he needs a 10 pound bag for dung stuffed in his pie hole. His last bill was to attempt to ban all guns with removable magazines. Classify them as assault weapons. Voting these AH's out of office is next to impossible, the Commies in SF, Santa Cruz and LA love them. The also stuff the ballot box with votes from all the illegals. Build your train to nowhere Gubernor Moonbeam, fill it full of politicians and drive it off a cliff.
Umad bro? Sounds like you jelly of California economy being the biggest in the US.

Still not really relevant if you're talking about violent video games influence on young children to which any research would be done into so the avg age of gamers in the article is in relation to their young age not just the general demographic of "gamer"
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Video-games-drawn-into-violence-debate-4219013.php#page-1#page-1

The problem is, legislation is NOT going to hit these kids.
It's going to hit their parents, the game industry, and all the gamers old enough to actually buy their own stuff.
It's also going to hit taxpayers who'll have to finance this crap from both sides.

Also, look at the average age again. In their 30's. You think these people just SPONTANEOUSLY picked up gaming a couple weeks ago?

I'm 39 years old and have been playing violent video games for 30+ years.
I owned a Magnavox Odyssey with Shooting Gallery.
I owned multiple Atari systems and played all sorts of shoot and kill games.
I've played all the various platform fighting games.
I was in Scouting, and have merit badges for Rifle and Archery.
I was in the Army for 3 years and got to play with stuff civvies have to spend BIG bucks to even look at.

By all rights, I should be some uber-violent son of a bitch. Right?
Do I own a bunch of guns and go out on weekly killing sprees? NO!

I may be an anomalous person. However, I *SERIOUSLY* doubt I'm THAT anomalous among gamers.

All Senator Yee has to do is read this thread for evidence that support the no-credibility claim. :D

He is also the man introducing another "assault weapons" ban in California because he saw a video of people shooting CA legal AR-15s on the news. Clearly, they are so problematic, that the only way he learned about them was by seeing people doing target shooting with them. :rolleyes:

I am not surprised he is going after video games as well.

He tried pushing the ban on violent video games last time, the one that got thrown out and at the same time placed video games under the 1st amendment, serious case of butt hurt.

Back