Senator: Employers Shouldn't Seek Site Passwords

I would have a huge problem with a prospective employer asking for my FB, email (there have been cases) or any other password. It's NONE of their business. Not only are they invading YOUR privacy, but the privacy of anyone you've got as a friend. And they can read your private messages or in the cases of asking for email passwords, all your email interactions.

A credit check, that's one thing, especially if you are going to be working with money (i.e. working for a bank), looking at your resume and CV, asking for references and the more and more par for the course drug testing. Though even that can be taken too far. There are companies that will not hire you if you smoke - at home on your own time or whatever else they consider "bad" behavior.

I know we're in an employer economy right now, but that's no reason to completely run roughshod over a potential or current employee's rights and privacy.

Oh and FB came out with their own "take" on the issue today: http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-warns-employers-not-demand-passwords-141726769.html

Don't overcommit to government defense of privacy by this until you actually get to see what sort of bill, if any is put together over it as knowing the elected scum holding office the bill could very well say companies can't require you to turn over your facebook passwords but that the government should get free, open and complete access to everyone's social networking accounts.

The correct reaction to this.
Well said.

I've worked in the HR world for years (not in HR, but with HR software that means I encounter the different hiring practices of a LOT of businesses as part of my job). I've never once heard of any of our clients asking for this information during the hiring process. Not once.

I'm guessing this is something that only small companies with a few idiots running the show have actually done.

at work male employees spend more time thinking about sex than they spend on facebook so all applicants need to bring their significant others to... do a background check. foreground too. and other places as well.

A credit check to handle money? Last time I checked, good/bad credit didn't mean you were/weren't a thief.

I'm still convinced an employer demanding this information is illegal. They are coercing you to break a legally binding agreement (ToS). In the vast majority of agreements I've read, there's normally some kind of clause that states something about how you are forbidden from knowingly allowing another individual to access your account.

A credit check to handle money? Last time I checked, good/bad credit didn't mean you were/weren't a thief.

I'm still convinced an employer demanding this information is illegal. They are coercing you to break a legally binding agreement (ToS). In the vast majority of agreements I've read, there's normally some kind of clause that states something about how you are forbidden from knowingly allowing another individual to access your account.

Replace "thief" with "being responsible".

Credit check is to see if a person's responsible around money. Someone who's not prone to making financial mistakes.

I'd laugh loudly at their request, say "Are you serious?" then get my shit and go.

A liberal Democrat actually proposing sensible legislation for a change? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

I don't have a problem with credit checks on very important positions that demand strict responsibilities. CPA, bank teller, management, sysadmin, etc.

If you can't handle your own financial or managerial responsibilities, why should I want you to handle ours?

Because my personal finances are none of your damn business.

If you want insight into my managerial responsibilities are it pertains to the work place, then you can look at my work history.

Back