Senator Demands Pokémon Go Release Privacy Information

HardOCP News

[H] News
It didn't take long for this to happen. Normally I would laugh at stuff like this but the guy does have a point. A lot of kids play the game and having to specifically opt-out of everything is lame.

Franken, who sits on the Senate subcommittee on privacy, technology, and the law, accused the company of collecting users’ information and potentially sharing it with third-party service providers. He highlighted that most users are children and the app’s default setting is to automatically collect data, with users having to specifically “opt-out”. The senator made seven requests for additional information, such as a list of the “third-party service providers” that Niantic shares information with and their reasons for doing so.

"That data should belong to us!"

- Congress, probably.

Probably, though Franken seems to be one of the few that gives half of a damn about making companies respond to stuff like this. He's one of the ones that tends to demand answers and calls for better customer protection. Nice to see at least one semi-decent politician from Minnesota.

Yeah, Franken is one of the rare breed of 'good ones', if that is a thing. I really do appreciate having someone like him in government keeping an eye out for the citizenry. (or at least making an effort)

Reactions: DPI
like this
So guys... maybe one of you can explain something to me. I don't know much about the app but I get the impression that kids follow a road on a map and see something. They then go to that spot and there is an imaginary monster or something? I'm seeing kids walking around clueless in parking lots and was just wondering.

Probably, though Franken seems to be one of the few that gives half of a damn about making companies respond to stuff like this. He's one of the ones that tends to demand answers and calls for better customer protection. Nice to see at least one semi-decent politician from Minnesota.
Of course you do when you want a piece of the action, $$$. If he cared about privacy it would be forcing data collection to opt-in. At that point you wouldn't care about Nintendo's 3rd parties.

'most users are children'? Every person I saw on TV that was playing it was between 18 and 28. Does Franken even have data on the average age or is he just making it up as he goes along? Sounds like he's probably not a licensed researcher - but IS a nurturer and a member of several twelve step programs.

So guys... maybe one of you can explain something to me. I don't know much about the app but I get the impression that kids follow a road on a map and see something. They then go to that spot and there is an imaginary monster or something? I'm seeing kids walking around clueless in parking lots and was just wondering.
Basically you play the role of Noah from the bible. Except instead of gathering 2 of every animal you want to just get one very strong specimen of each animal. Most animals can be fed special genetic enhancement "candy" which can make them more powerful with a small amount, or if fed a large amount at once can evolve the animal into a higher species in the same genus.

The app you see kids using is a 3D cartoonish rendering of google maps, and the animals appear somewhat randomly. Certain businesses and parks etc. have been designated as sort of like roadside rests you see on the interstate(rendered polygons overlayed on top of the google maps), here you can refresh your inventory of animal capturing devices and other items that work in the same way that deer urine works for hunters, but attracting random animals instead of specifically deer. The game is programmed so that you can obtain between 3 and 5 random inventory items every 5 minutes from each "rest area." There are areas in cities where some of these "rest areas" are bunched together in a small area, and because each rest area is on a timer, you'll see many people congregate in these areas so they can quickly refresh their inventory. (This is great for businesses as it generates a ton of foot traffic).

Kids can also find eggs that hatch a random species of animals. In order to hatch the eggs you must put it in an incubator and generate power for that incubator by physically walking around. It takes 2km, 5km, or 10km depending on the type of egg, where the longer distance required will generally hatch a rare species. (Probably the best part of the game as it forces kids to go outside and get some exercise).

You can take your strongest animals to other locations in the world designated as training centers. Here the animals can engage in essentially dog/cock fights, and when you win the training center's control changes to your team (red, blue or yellow) and you and your strongest animal are displayed on pedestals for all around to see. This can make your animals stronger and gives a sense of accomplishment and prestige.

If your animal successfully defends against attackers you are awarded with in-game currency which can be used to purchase specific inventory items, like items you get from the rest areas or larger backpacks, etc.

The in-game currency can also be purchases with real money, which is how the game is monetized.

Also, I have been playing this game (because all of my friends do and it's fun and a good motivator for getting some exercise) but it's the first pokemon game I've ever played. That whole thing started after I was too old to get into it, but I certainly understand why it's so appealing. And most people who grew up with Pokemon are now between 18-30, kids are still into it but not as heavily as the previous generation.

Back