Sempron 2200+ (1.6ghz) vs Duron 1.6ghz

The Sempron 2200+ is 1.5GHz. :p

I'd take the Sempron 2200+. I actually have one.

Sempron 2200+: 256KB L2 cache, 333MHz FSB
Duron 1.6GHz: 64KB L2, 266MHz FSB

The Duron is easier to overclock higher within reasonable FSB speeds, but it takes a higher speed overclock to match a Sempron. The Duron 1.6GHz bumped to 333MHz FSB is 2GHz, but a Sempron 2200+ @ 400MHz FSB is only 1.8GHz (what I run).

If it's really low end, you're probably not going to buy a 400MHz FSB capable motherboard. I already had one since it came in the system. But a Duron 1.6GHz is probably a better choice overall, especially if you can be sure to get a B core. The last Duron 1.6GHz I got had a B core.

Damn...I was looking at the specs like 10 seconds before I made this thread too. I MEANT to put 1.5ghz. :p

I appreciate the input, but I might actually get the Sempron anyway...the $89 mobo/cpu combo on Newegg is pretty attractive to me. With that, I can toss another $100 for memory and a case/psu and have a computer for $193 (utilizing handmedown parts as well).

For parents/younger siblings:
2200+ Sempron
512mb PC2700
integrated video (for now, they can upgrade for little bro later if they want, or I'll do it later on, but not necessary right now)
80gig hd
52x cdrw

Upgrading from a celery 500 :LOL:

Sound decent for $193?

workingnonstop said:
Sound decent for $193?

Are you the kid with the clothes from wal-mart?

I know I was, and I would say that is decent.

Unfortunately the majority of the inhabitants of this forum are fairly wealthy and have had most of their opportunity handed to them by a successful parent.

So buying MB/CPU combos probably won't net you much attention here. It's like being around a bunch of nerdie snobs. :D

Fuzzy Logik said:

Unfortunately the majority of the inhabitants of this forum are fairly wealthy and have had most of their opportunity handed to them by a successful parent.

So buying MB/CPU combos probably won't net you much attention here. It's like being around a bunch of nerdie snobs. :D
no way man, i've built a reputation as the master of low-budget around my work. if it can be ghetto-rigged, worked around, or if i can make compromises that aren't deal-breakers, i do it. being poor makes you smarter :)

Fuzzy Logik said:

haha, no walmart clothes actually. my parents aren't exactly wealthy, but they don't see a need for a new computer. i, on the other hand, am sick of having to spend time when i go home removing EVERY piece of extra software so that it runs decent enough to use. I'm the poor one, and I'm the one who wants to buy it for them. I figure it'll make a nice enough present and give me a little leeway in terms of messing with it when I'm home. :p

workingnonstop said:
For parents/younger siblings:
2200+ Sempron
512mb PC2700
integrated video (for now, they can upgrade for little bro later if they want, or I'll do it later on, but not necessary right now)
80gig hd
52x cdrw

Sound decent for $193?
yes, sounds fine.

Too bad you don't have a Fry's nearby. This is my cheapie $99 system from Black Friday:
Sempron 2200+ CPU (overclocks to 1.8GHz @ stock voltage)
741GX-M motherboard (400MHz FSB support, integrated video, sound, lan)
128MB PC2700
40GB Seagate 7200RPM drive
floppy
52x CD-ROM
modem
keyboard, mouse, speakers

and about $60 in upgrades
512MB PC2700 ($3AR memory from Fry's + $5AR CompUSA memory)
GF4 Ti4200 $39AR from tigerdirect
16x Lite-On DVD-ROM $6 from arc.cc

I'm debating replacing the optical drives with a single DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

pxc said:
The Sempron 2200+ is 1.5GHz. :p

I'd take the Sempron 2200+. I actually have one.

Sempron 2200+: 256KB L2 cache, 333MHz FSB
Duron 1.6GHz: 64KB L2, 266MHz FSB

The Duron is easier to overclock higher within reasonable FSB speeds, but it takes a higher speed overclock to match a Sempron. The Duron 1.6GHz bumped to 333MHz FSB is 2GHz, but a Sempron 2200+ @ 400MHz FSB is only 1.8GHz (what I run).

If it's really low end, you're probably not going to buy a 400MHz FSB capable motherboard. I already had one since it came in the system. But a Duron 1.6GHz is probably a better choice overall, especially if you can be sure to get a B core. The last Duron 1.6GHz I got had a B core.
You said that the Duron is easier to o/ced what about the 1.8ghz? Because I bought one for my daugther's pc thinking that the mobile that I had in it was bad when in fact that was not the case. What I'm thinking of doing now is keep the Duron were is at and buy another better mobo to use the mobile and o/ced. So my question is on the Duron how good are they for ocing and what would you recommend.

pxc said:
yes, sounds fine.

Too bad you don't have a Fry's nearby. This is my cheapie $99 system from Black Friday:
Sempron 2200+ CPU (overclocks to 1.8GHz @ stock voltage)
741GX-M motherboard (400MHz FSB support, integrated video, sound, lan)
128MB PC2700
40GB Seagate 7200RPM drive
floppy
52x CD-ROM
modem
keyboard, mouse, speakers

and about $60 in upgrades
512MB PC2700 ($3AR memory from Fry's + $5AR CompUSA memory)
GF4 Ti4200 $39AR from tigerdirect
16x Lite-On DVD-ROM $6 from arc.cc

I'm debating replacing the optical drives with a single DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

decent system at a nice price...I wish we had a fry's too. Stupid New York.

I'm going to order the parts tonight, build it next week and give it to them as a surprise. Thanks for the input. :)

Another question before I order:
Worth it to spend an extra $34 to go with a Sempron 2400+ and an nForce2 mobo over a Sempron 2200+ and VIA266?

workingnonstop said:
Another question before I order:
Worth it to spend an extra $34 to go with a Sempron 2400+ and an nForce2 mobo over a Sempron 2200+ and VIA266?
imo, yes. for $34 you'll have a much nicer performing system if you pair it with decent RAM. do you have the option of the sempron 2200+ and nforce2, though?

nForce2 is definately the way to go if you're going to be getting a motherboard with onboard video.

nylint said:
imo, yes. for $34 you'll have a much nicer performing system if you pair it with decent RAM. do you have the option of the sempron 2200+ and nforce2, though?

yeah, but the difference between the 2200+ and the 2400+ is only $6. The bulk of the price difference is upgrading the motherboard, but I figured while I was at it I should get the better processor as well.

edit: I was just going to go with value pc3200, but that shouldn't limit overclocking much anyway if I try at all, as the Sempron starts out with a 333mhz FSB anyway. If I get up to 400, I'd be more than happy and the memory would still be running at stock. :)

absolutely nforce2, are you going nf2 IGP or do you have a separate video card for this box?

good call on the pc3200, too. you could either run it at 400mhz at its SPD timings, or with a little luck tighten 'em up at 333fsb and run sync with the sempron's fsb. (if you're not OCing.)

nylint said:
absolutely nforce2, are you going nf2 IGP or do you have a separate video card for this box?

good call on the pc3200, too. you could either run it at 400mhz at its SPD timings, or with a little luck tighten 'em up at 333fsb and run sync with the sempron's fsb. (if you're not OCing.)

IGP for now...I don't want to spend the extra cash for a card better than this can provide yet. I might pick up an old GeForce4 in a couple of weeks (ti4200 or so) just so my little brother can game a little, but this is hardly a hardcore gamer's box, so I don't want to put much more in it.

Thanks for the help. :)

If you're going with the nf2, be wary of the memory you purchase.

The nf2IGP is very picky with ddr.

Wixard said:
If you're going with the nf2, be wary of the memory you purchase.

The nf2IGP is very picky with ddr.
this is also truth. all the modules that i've bought with infineon chips had pretty crappy stability on the NF7-M's I've used.

samsung seems good, though.

AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.667GHz Socket A Processor Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** $62.00

Biostar M7NCG 400 nForce2 Athlon(XP)/Duron SktA DDR M-ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Video, LAN Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** $65.45

CASE Athenatech|BLK/SLV A412BB.L350 $35.50

PQI POWER 256MB DDR PC3200 2 x 32= $64.00

edit: cheapo ram, but several reviews of successful dual channel use in nforce2 motherboards :)

Back