SemiAccurate Says Intel 10nm Launch a PR Stunt

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Charlie Demerjian always has an interesting opinion to share, and today is no different. Charlie is suggesting that Intel's recent 10nm "launch" is simply a PR stunt to save its stock price. I highly suggest going over and giving his supporting hypothesis a read as he has put together a very good article. Is a 10nm part that only half works a testament to moving production to the process in the future, or is it broken as he suggests?

This is entirely consistent with what SemiAccurate has been telling you for years now about the problems with the 10nm process, it was broken then, is broken now, and will be broken for far longer than Intel is admitting to. And they know it.

So sad. :D

"By now the eagle eyed among you will have noticed we said that the 8121U is a 2+1 die but we are harping on the fact that is doesn’t have a GPU. What’s going on? To be blunt the 8121U does have a GPU on the die, it’s just that Intel can’t actually get it to work."

Waiting for the inevitable Intel apologist to pop in and say ya but Intel 10nm is exactly like TMSC 7nm. :ROFLMAO:

I really do hope Intel gets their shit together though. Cores with proper specter and meltdown fixes on their 10nm before 2020 would be nice.

Might be true, but if it's coming from Charlie, I'll wait until other sources confirm it. Charlie is notoriously anti NV and Intel.

He's been predicting the demise of them both for a decade now.

Last edited:
Might be true, but if it's coming from Charlie, I'll wait until other sources confirm it. Charlie is notoriously anti NV and Intel.

Well at least he stopped talking about nvidia.

From what I remembered, many of his info are spot on. Just because he is anti-nvidia or intel, doesn't make him wrong.

From what I remembered, many of his info are spot on. Just because he is anti-nvidia or intel, doesn't make him wrong.

For years he's focused almost exclusively on negative news about Nvidia or Intel, he reports on little else. Unless it's positive news about AMD. Usually once a year he'll thrown down a "and this should spell the end for Intel/Nvidia".

giphy.gif

For years he's focused almost exclusively on negative news about Nvidia or Intel, he reports on little else. Unless it's positive news about AMD. Usually once a year he'll thrown down a "and this should spell the end for Intel/Nvidia".

What about Ashraf Eassa?

Are you also going to say that he's anti-Intel?

fukkin' lol: "8121U connotes a low end i3, the lowest end of the non-crippled all that much range." Truly Pulizer prize winning journalism.

That being said, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that the 10nm process has problems.

It's kind of entertaining just how rabidly anti-Intel Charlie is. On the other hand, it's not like he's often wrong...

After reading his stuff for years, my opinion is that Charlie strongly dislikes intel, microsoft, and nvidia. He almost never has anything good to say about them and is quick to point out when they do something wrong.

But... I also find he's right most of the time. He's pretty specific about his claims here so I'd bet he's right.

Even if you don't believe Charlie how many years has Intel been promising 10nm?
How many years has amd promised a competitive product? (Well till a few months ago and still just finally competitive).

Ashraf joined the RED team. Check his twitter feed. He sold his intel stock and went AMD.
Much as I like AMD, that really means nothing (except that he may have a positive AMD bias now, as it would benefit him). AMD is in a decent position financially (better than they've been in a long time) and has good products. If you haven't bought AMD yet it may be too late, but you still can't lose (much, unless you're dumb) at the current share price.

Semiaccurate tends to follow some leads (usually from within the company) which means that people who work there and do not agree with what management decides on airing are less then amused on how PR paints a picture that differs so wildly from what is going on Charlie Demerjian looks like some kind of zealot when it comes from a different direction then again what we all hear and read being the company that is doing the talking and no one does their own investigative stories.

The 10 nm story we all have been following for years now 10nm was going to come and do whatever Intel said it would for the last few years now.

The 10nm promise is not something that is important it is how Intel management deals with it and they have not been able to move on or change direction towards something that works except for their 14+++++++nm.

After you read the story you don't have to ask yourself how is it that you have trouble finding laptops/notebooks from the opposite side.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
How many years has amd promised a competitive product? (Well till a few months ago and still just finally competitive).
AMD? Someone else's poor performance doesn't excuse your own. AMD isn't the elephant in the room anyway. Intel needs to worry about Samsung and Qualcomm. 7nm is around the corner.

And for how many years they have been punished for it? Even with competitive products rewards come slowly. Intel, i guess because of size gets a lot less punishment it seems, even after plenty of recent screwups. If they pull 10 nm tomorrow, they are probably going to fall behind the race quickly after, its not just 7 nm fake or not tsmc and others are moving forward with different techniques in manufacturing too, pushing the boundaries faster than Intel. Honestly didn't think I would see this day or even the fact that is fast approaching. Just WTF is Intel doing? They fucked the employees too much with forced ranking or some shit? I think Intel has a fairly serious morale or labor issue of some sort.

Part of SemiAccurate articles are behind paywalls but they are painting the picture for Intel 10nm as dire. What if they need to go back to the drawing board on something critical? It could very well be 2020 before we see 10nm for the masses (from Intel).

AMD? Someone else's poor performance doesn't excuse your own. AMD isn't the elephant in the room anyway. Intel needs to worry about Samsung and Qualcomm. 7nm is around the corner.
Kyle liked it^ and love to get his opinion on this. At the moment Intel has no chance without the "x" license. It's kinda a fruit vs. vegetable argument when comparing arm, but yes obviously they are trying to venture into mobile. I may be wrong, but ARM procs still have quite a bit to go match CISC and match intel/AMD... so yes a major competitor is ARM but as far as I know x is still being used in enterprise and therefore the bigboy in the room.

Half the silicon disabled with the same power draw and clocks as its' predecessor?

Yeah, a dud so far.

So in an article about an article about Intel, you have to chime in with a slam against AMD? Fanboy-troll much? OK...

AMD - to the great benefit of all of us - pulled off a miraculous comeback, offering more-than-competitive CPUs and forcing Intel to stop dragging its feet. Think about it: for comparatively tiny AMD to even be capable of that shows you how lazy Intel was. AMD changed the entire market, and that was a year ago if you've lost track.

My money now and in the foreseeable future will go to AMD. I want them to stay in the game. And they've earned it. If you keep finding excuses to buy Intel, you're rewarding the folks who've been screwing you. And you're diverting money from the folks who saved you.

As for Intel's woes... I'm sorry to see any tech firm, especially a flagship US company, have trouble. But (1) they did it to themselves and (2) this helps give AMD a further lifeline.

[Oh yeah, if you want to argue that Ryzen 1 "wasn't competitive", be clear that you're referring only to single-thread gaming. And even there the difference was insignificant. I'm astonished at the number of people who will ignore the big picture and focus on one small part just to be "right". The big picture is "Thank god AMD survived and let's buy their stuff now that it is so good".]

Last edited:

I guessed you missed this part:
OEMs won’t touch these 10nm parts either voluntarily or with ‘not bribes’ so Intel has to twist arms and force them to make laptops and “Make it ‘look real“. Why? To put out a data point that they can build ‘truth’ and ‘alternative facts’ around when it comes time to talk to analysts. The 10nm Cannon Lake parts aren’t real and never will be viable, financially or technically speaking. Feel free to believe the PR messaging but you can’t say you don’t know what is really going on now.S|A

What again would you need to worry about if company(maybe more then 1) use your 10nm product that are worse then your 14nm offering and you think that Qualcomm and Samsung will some how break this market? Both have no x86 and Samsung only dabbled with AMD for a short while.

If Intel was this easy to break it would have happened long before this point in time.

Back