semi-hot ,,, 1gb PC2700 Kingston for $54.99

yep

got to get em in store now

wish i had a use for pc2700, but if i remember correctly, a lot of KVR pc2700 is rebadged pc3200. Try to check for 5ns chips if you can.

im guessing you can see the ram through the package? what would i look for to see if its 5ns?

I just popped one of the BGA sticks of this into my system. Runs DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6-2T fine at stock. Running 2.5-3-3-7-2T I got up to 230MHz @ stock before my system crashed.

I'll push it a bit next week when I have four sticks in my system :)

I have two sticks that are TSOP sitting unopened on my desk, I'm waiting until next week when BB has stock again to swap them for BGA chips.

BTW, better deal is to price match at Circuit City. They have a $30 MIR on this RAM. Brings the total to under $21/stick depending on taxes. Mine ended up being $15/stick.

As for seeing marking through the package, you can't. They're covered by the sticker.

No, you can clearly see if its BGA or TSOP. Plus the bar codes are different.

BGA: 072662US01876632
TSOP: 072662US01908844

The BGA chips have no markings except 8x64M. That just tells you how big the chips are. (8x64M = Eight x 64MBit, 16 Chips x 64MBytes = 1024MBytes)

I don't know that BGA are better than TSOP. But the BGA that is on the stick I'm using stays fairly cool, even when running way over spec. BTW, the stick I'm using is manufactured week 17 of 2005.

I'm doing an overnight prime95 to see how fast this thing will go at 2-3-3-6-2T

wow thanks a lot, i was thinking of not getting any because i was afriad it wouldnt do pc3200, or barely do it. According to the website my local bb still has them in stock, looks like i will go check it out tomorrow and see if i can get a few bga sticks :)

I'm 99% positive the BGA chips are 5ns.

In case anyone's curious, BGA chips are square-shaped, and that's what you'll be looking for. Wouldn't hurt to jot down and compare the bar codes that Dew posted above.

$55 + tax, is a killer price for gig of good ram, and thats before sending out the $5 rebate. Hmm, might be a good way of using my $20 BB gift certificate...

I wonder if it runs 1T @ stock speeds (?) (edit: NM, as per Dew, it doesn't)

SJetski71 said:
yep

got to get em in store now

wish i had a use for pc2700, but if i remember correctly, a lot of KVR pc2700 is rebadged pc3200. Try to check for 5ns chips if you can.

When that ramdrive card from Gigabyte becomes available for purchase (projected to be $50), you'll have a use for it. Imagine, a 4GB ramdrive for under $300...

^^^

You've read my mind :D

And you're not making my decision any easier :p

Good point, anybody who plans on buying that ramdrive needs to get in on this deal. Its still $15 cheaper than a gig of that Wintec ram on newegg.

^^^^ previous 2 posts

Looks like I'm not the only one scoping cheap 1GB sticks for just that reason. :D No one can touch this price. I'm heading to Circuit City at lunch.

^^^

Dead online but alive in-store, YMMV if its sold out though.

Darn, i think i'm gonna take my $20 gift certificate and head there now, not sure if i want to deal with CC's mail in rebate so BB it is.

Thanks for making me spend my money!

It's an online only deal so I don't see many Circuit City stores honoring this. Best Buy.com is reporting sold out online and in-store. YMMV

erorr404 said:
how do you know it's sold out in store?
You really can't go by what the website says, You have to either call or head down to the store in person to know for sure. I just came back from the bestbuy in Paramus NJ and they had 1 package left, with BGA chips, and more due to arrive by truck later tonite. Anybody living near Paramus Rt17, head over to the bestbuy on rt 17 further north tommorow morning, not the one in the garden state plaza (they won't be getting any).

Got my gig, thx OP

just got back from my local best buy, they were OOS :(. i did see some kingston 512MB pc2700 DIMMs for $29.99 AR ($30 MIR IIRC) though, which still seemed like a good deal (they had about 4 in stock).

maxxo said:
just got back from my local best buy, they were OOS :(. i did see some kingston 512MB pc2700 DIMMs for $29.99 AR ($30 MIR IIRC) though, which still seemed like a good deal (they had about 4 in stock).
yeah they were out of the 1 GB for 54.99 here too, so i went for the 512 MB for $29.99 after rebate. its also a very good deal actually.

edit: btw, do you know what the timings on this RAM are (the 512 MB one)? i hope its not CAS 3...

I got 2 in the St. Louis Area today...sweet deal for 117 dollars..and they are BGA

is this a 1gb one piece stick..or 512x2???

omg..I running to the one in southern cali now...if there are some left..I am definetely grabbing two sticks.... Battlefield 2 goodness...lord..

Just called 1 store, the guy said he had them but they weren't on sale anymore. (?)

Classic BestBuy bait-n-switch...$114.99 or somethign with $5MIR. Nobody has any idea about $54.99.....

well...looks like I will be grabbing a stick of corsair value select pc 3200 for 90 bucks :rolleyes: gotta return my antec truepower-2 480.... get teh cheaper coolermaster 450watt psu... 34amps on 12v, 30amps on the 3.3 and 35 on the 5v...almost as good as the antec..and it has all good reviews with all stable rails :) only 59 bucks hehe....

It wasnt a bait and switch..you just had to be fast on the draw..order them online..and pick them up in store...out of 5 stores in the area..only 1 had them..and that store was just built less than a month ago..I Guess I was lucky amongst others....Mines running at 200fsb just fine...2gb greatness...How can you complain for 117
Andd I do have them running at 1T

I'm gonna have to check the Columbia BB tomorrow. The 1 gb PC2700 dimm shows up on a search for "kingston" but the page still isn't accessible. I could use some more memory, especially since the price is right.

those dickheads cancelled my order. said it was on backorder and id get it in 2 weeks. which i was cool with. now i just got an email sayin they cancelled it. anyonelse get theirs cancelled? should i bitch at them and tell them to honor their price or is it a lost cause? i want some type of compensation for them not keeping track of what they got :mad:

Don't bother...

I've tried riding them in the past for doing just that type of thing. Got more or less nothing but my time wasted Good try, however.

Col_Hogan said:
It wasnt a bait and switch..you just had to be fast on the draw..order them online..and pick them up in store...out of 5 stores in the area..only 1 had them..and that store was just built less than a month ago..I Guess I was lucky amongst others....Mines running at 200fsb just fine...2gb greatness...How can you complain for 117
Andd I do have them running at 1T

It sure is bait and switch if somethign is advertised for a price, and then is not that price when you get there. I even asked one of the guys if the stick he had was for sale at the sale price and he said "yeah, sure is." Only when I called back to double check did he mention the sale price was $115. Maybe you think it's fine for a company to offer a product for one price in the morning, pull the ad half way through the day and leave no message about it and then sell the product for double the cost later in the same day, but I don't. If I didn't double check I would have driven 30 minutes for nothing. Or if I would've seen the ad earlier in the day and decided to stop by after work or something...oh, they don't have any more of the ram at the price I want, but they'll be nice enough to sell it to me for $115...yeah, that's bait and switch. They "BAIT" with the good prices and then "SWITCH' to the shitty ones.

I got in just in time. From what i've read here and elsewhere, BestBuy caught up with themselves somewhere between 10:30am~12:00pm monday morning.

This deal is deader than a cadaver, time for the next round of ram deals.

I think it was more of a price mistake than an intentional bait & switch, not much difference if you're getting beat on a deal though.

best buy just redeemed theMselves
Thank you for your order on BestBuy.com.

We appreciate your interest in purchasing the Kingston 1.0 GB memory module. Due to a system error, the price of the item was incorrectly marked to $54.99. Therefore, we will be unable to honor your order at the incorrect price. As a result, we will be canceling the Kingston 1.0 GB memory module from your order. If you have any questions concerning our policies, please review the Conditions of Use which are found online.

Because you are a valued customer, we are sending you the following $10.00 Digital Coupon* code which can be used toward a future purchase at BestBuy.com.

NICE!

:D

^^^ Bumpity. I got one of those for my backorder of 4 sticks. It looks like my in-store pickup for 2 sticks is still alive and well. I'll see for sure when I try picking it up tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

Got 'em. The price tag on them was $249.99; talk about wishful thinking. One had BGA chip and the other had TSOP.

No joy pricematching at Circuit City, as Best Buy was OOS. I wish I'd made the trip earlier in the week, but oh well, at least I got a couple for a good price.

i have a pair in my bro's shuttle sb65g2 @ DDR400 2.5,3,3,6 , suppper stable

maybe next time guys =)

i remember the guy from computers walked over and was like "wtf, why is this 1gb stick only $54.99," so we checked the price on the computer, and it was correct. then every man for himselves, haha

i did notice a small diffference giong from 1gb to 2gb. then again the latency was a little better, which would rule it inconsistent.

ill keep an eye out for more , muah ha ha

Back