selling macbook 13. unibody to get new mac.

amdownzintel

Limp Gawd
So the new macbook pro's excite me so I'm selling my mac and getting a new mac. Now I'm wondering exactly which one I should get. Before it was easier before I knew that the new macbook pro's are 1.5gb Sata instead of 3gb sata. So now I'm curious if I should still bite on one of these because there isn't that big of a difference? Or should I pay the extra money for the better laptops, basically is it worth it.

Also starting to look at the imacs right now. If you go on their website I would be getting the 1799 model if I got anything. Curious if anyone here has one (not exactly same kind, but still an imac) and tell me your impressions, what you like and don't like. Also is it smart to buy now or is something better coming out soon?

Last edited:
Well, the 1.5 / 3 gbs SATA only affects SSDs, so unless you're getting one, it won't really matter to you.

as far as the iMacs go, they'll always have something new out soon, I think the Core i5 / mobile Nelham stuff will go into the iMacs in 6-10 months or so. Again, depending what you use it for that could be entirely moot.

The iMac will be faster and 24" vs. 13/15" for a screen is HUGE in my opinion, I much prefer my 24" desktop LCD to my laptop for anything (well, that should be obvious).

On the other side, I could never bring myself to spend $1800 on a Mac desktop. So personally I'd either do a PC / some-unix-based-OS-we-all-seem-to-like desktop OR the mac laptops

Lets hope Apple clears up the SATA thing soon. As for waiting, you can wait for SL in September and save $10, also you can wait for October/November, they might do some type of update then.

I was going to update to the MBP 13" but I'm waiting for the SATA thing to be cleared up, and I let Apple know that.

well my last gaming pc that I still currently use cost me 1600 dollars so not a big difference there. If I were to get an Imac though I would be selling my gaming machine then just pay the difference for the mac. Hopefully I can get 1k for my gaming machine, has a Phenom II 940 CPU, 4 gigs of ram, 150gb raptor + more . If I could sell it for 1k then just pay the 800 for the imac I would be very happy :)

I was just more or less curious if there are any imac users out there that are completely satisifed with their purchase or do they regret paying so much for a machine, because my main concern is that yeah its a lot for that kind of hardware. I would think if they put a quad core, don't really care which one then I'd get one asap, but the core 2 scares me because I mean come on, more cores!! Both of my windows machines have quad cores and when I multi task it's great. Just wish Apple would get there shit going.

The day Apple had a quad core machine 24" 4gb memory or more with w/e HD for right around the 1700 dollar range I will buy one that day.

I switched from the unibody macbook 13" to a new 13" macbook pro mostly because of the SD card slot and the backlit keyboard since the original didn't have it (silly I know). I also was able to sell my macbook for more than I got it for so I only really paid $200 extra to go to the newer one.

The screen on my new one is WAY better than the one I just sold. The difference is truly amazing. Of course I ordered before the SATA thing was discovered but I have no plans to go SSD anytime soon and I'll probably end up selling this macbook and jumping to the new one in a few months just because I like blowing money apparently.

Haha man you're the same as me. Well seems like its worth it then, so far someone has offered me 800 dollars cash for my macbook. Not sure if I should take the offer or if I should put it on ebay and try to get more. I've been seeing them sell for 1200 dollars for awhile now.

Ewwww... ebay. I'd rather sell it on here that ebay. IMO, 800 is first offer, counter with 1050, and he/she will settle around 900.

i just got new mbp. pretty impressive. my first mac too! I was able to get it for just 800 (after taxes) out of pocket after selling the ipod and printer and using a few other methods. Backlight keyboard is pretty useful. Iono how it compared to the old LCD but this lcd is pretty good. I think colors are better than my desktop (Hannsg 28").

I think you should be able to sell ur mb for 900. They'v been dropping in prices a lot in the last few days so i wouldnt expect 1200 for them anymore. My friend just sold his for 900 to get the new mbp.

Ewwww... ebay. I'd rather sell it on here that ebay. IMO, 800 is first offer, counter with 1050, and he/she will settle around 900.

I tried selling it here and had no luck. I sold it 2 days after I put it on ebay for more than what I was charging here (and that's minus all the ebay/paypal fees).

ya its on ebay right now if it doesn't sell then I'll sell it locally, already had a buy for 800 dollars so I'll go with that if this fails. Would just like an extra hundred if I could to help pay for the new one. I'm going to just stick with the 1200 dollar model and then buy the ram from newegg its 63 dollars, so saving a little money there too. Then I'll have 4gb woot

I switched from the unibody macbook 13" to a new 13" macbook pro mostly because of the SD card slot and the backlit keyboard since the original didn't have it (silly I know). I also was able to sell my macbook for more than I got it for so I only really paid $200 extra to go to the newer one.

The screen on my new one is WAY better than the one I just sold. The difference is truly amazing. Of course I ordered before the SATA thing was discovered but I have no plans to go SSD anytime soon and I'll probably end up selling this macbook and jumping to the new one in a few months just because I like blowing money apparently.

only the 13" 2.0 unibody lacks backlit keyboard, the 2.4 model does have it.

Apple's laptops are great. The form factor and design is almost impossible to beat. It's nice that they got their prices a little more in line with this last go-round too. Even if they did just add a couple things to the MB and rebrand it as a pro.

I would never buy an iMac though (unless it was a REALLY good price, of course). If I'm going to get mostly laptop components, I might as well get a laptop.

Back