Selling cable company's modem/receiver/remote?

mdude85

Limp Gawd
I was subscribed with cable to a large national company (will not be named) and canceled my service when I moved out of my apartment. My service was successfully terminated but the company never notified me that I would have to return my unused equipment (it's since been about 4 months since I moved out and I have a zero $ account balance). But I still have the company's cable modem, basic cable box (not dvr) and cable remote. Do you think it's OK to sell these online? Should I just throw them away? Returning them to the store, as you can imagine, is as inconvenient as ever.

Tips...?

Keep in mind that you have to register the Mac address of the modem with the cable company when you use it with your account. So it's not like they won't know what modem it is or that it was previously attached to your account. It's also common for them to simply bill you for the equipment you don't return, though 4 months is a while.

There was an issue I had when I sold an old cablemodem (that I bought and owned) because it was still attached to my account. When the new person got it, they plugged it in and started using it but never bothered to attach it to their account, which ended up causing issues with my account until I got the issue straightened out.

Personally I wouldn't sell them, I'd just keep them in case the cable company ever asks for them back.

Turn it in. Know someone who did similar and six months later a creditor was calling them wanting $2000 for a couple of cableboxes and a modem. Also if you sell it and someone tries to activate it on a different network it probably won't work as it will be flagged as stolen.

I was subscribed with cable to a large national company (will not be named) and canceled my service when I moved out of my apartment. My service was successfully terminated but the company never notified me that I would have to return my unused equipment (it's since been about 4 months since I moved out and I have a zero $ account balance). But I still have the company's cable modem, basic cable box (not dvr) and cable remote. Do you think it's OK to sell these online? Should I just throw them away? Returning them to the store, as you can imagine, is as inconvenient as ever.

Tips...?
I sold my old Verizon DSL modem on ebay for $30. Also have the cable modem on the shelf at work from a local company. They didn't ask for it back.

I don't think these companies want their used equipment back.

Back