Seller has FS thread with prices listed, won't sell items at prices listed

janas19

[H]ard|Gawd
Am I being trolled here? Here's the scenario: A seller has an active FS thread with items and lists the item prices. I contact the seller and tell him I will buy Item X. He tells me another buyer contacted him wanting to buy Item X plus Items A, B, and C in a bundle. He then states that he will sell me Items A, B, C and X together for the same price. I respond no thanks, I only want to buy Item X. Seller logs out without responding to my PM after 2 hours. The thread is still active and item is still listed at that price.

FYI, the other buyer contacted him approximately one week ago but never sent payment. If this is a situation where there "dibs" was called, then the other buyer had dibs for a week but hasn't paid. Now I'm beginning to wonder am I being trolled? Is it remotely possible that this other "buyer" is just a ploy in order to get me to buy a bundle of items he is selling, that I don't want? I am beyond confused as to what is happening. Or how I should respond to this situation.

Last edited:
Doesn't make any sense, if someone already offered to buy the ABCX bundle for $Y, why would he then offer to sell you the ABCX bundle for $Y? Sounds like a used car salesman to me. I wouldn't buy from him even if he came back and offered to sell me item X only for the original asking price.

The other buyer said he would buy ABCX but never sent payment for the items.

Yeah, that sounds like shady business to me..Back away slowly.

The other buyer said he would buy ABCX but never sent payment for the items.

Still doesn't make sense. "You want to buy my X? Well someone offered to buy A, B, C and X for $Y, but he ended up bailing. I'll only sell you A, B, C and X for $Y, but I won't sell you X only even though I don't have any other offers on the table anymore."

Sounds like he's a classic upseller. I wouldn't give him the time of day.

Still doesn't make sense. "You want to buy my X? Well someone offered to buy A, B, C and X for $Y, but he ended up bailing. I'll only sell you A, B, C and X for $Y, but I won't sell you X only even though I don't have any other offers on the table anymore."

Sounds like he's a classic upseller. I wouldn't give him the time of day.

But why would you list a price point for Item X, if you don't sell it when offered the exact price you listed yourself. This is what I'm having a hard time understanding. He set the price himself. He wants the item to be sold. I have told him numerous times in simple terms, I WILL BUY IT.

He doesn't sell the item and doesn't respond to PMs. :confused:

edit: Ok, only thing I can think of to give seller benefit of the doubt, he still genuinely believes the other buyer who had dibs one week earlier will still buy the bundle. *Sigh*

Personally, I'd rather sell a lot of items to one person than break it up. If he has an offer for multiple things, it makes his selling easier so I understand completely. Just because YOU want it, doesn't mean he has to sell to you, especially if it's one thing out of many.

Personally, I'd rather sell a lot of items to one person than break it up. If he has an offer for multiple things, it makes his selling easier so I understand completely. Just because YOU want it, doesn't mean he has to sell to you, especially if it's one thing out of many.

And that's OK with me. I just wish he would tell me directly instead of not communicating a simple yes or no. Dealing with unresponsive sellers is a PITA.

Sounds like he's yanking your chain. I'd strongly consider moving on unless this item X is rare or priced exceptionally well.

I think many of us as sellers have been in a situation where multiple offers are coming in at the same time for one item. Communication between buyers can range from almost IM-fast to carrier-pigeon-slow, in which cases I pivot to a "first come first serve" policy. So basically if the first potential buyer becomes unresponsive, then the item will go to whomever's next who is RESPONSIVE and has payment ready. I don't do dibs. This seller is either trying to upsell you or he's being led on by an unresponsive potential buyer. Either way it screams shadiness or inexperience; both are bad situations.

Last edited:
That was kind of my suspicion as well. It's a shady deal when he lists Part X for sale and gives the price, yet won't respond to PMs about buying the part at that price. Yet when I ask about the price of that part and his other parts, bam instant response.

I don't think he's trolling but like others say, either he is shady and trying to upsell me or he's just super inexperienced (doubtful, he's a 10 year member).... Unless he chooses to respond to this thread and give his reasoning I probably won't ever know for sure.

I wouldn't deal with them at all if they can't communicate? Not someone I would do business with if that's the impression I were given.

Yep, I don't want too either except his price is about $30 less than anywhere else (Ebay or Amazon). :(

Communication is key IMHO! Recently had a buyer contact me about a lens I have listed. It appeared he had intent to purchase and requested a shipping quote. I gave it to him with my PayPal info and have not heard a peep since. Honestly, hope he does not send anything at this point. Poor communication is a bad sign...

Back