sell PC and get mac mini core duo?

DaCoOlNeSs

[H]ard|Gawd
specs in sig :)

also keep in mind that I have a iBook G4 14", the fastest PPC iBook made, ;) would I benifit if I was to upgrade? Or should I shoot for an iMac?

Sell your iBook and save for a Macbook. You have a nice rig, best of both worlds, I say.

tsn | spazz said:
Sell your iBook and save for a Macbook. You have a nice rig, best of both worlds, I say.
negate on that one, I need it for school, and I dont think it is going to sell in 1 day, plus shipping from the Apple factory :)

DigitalN said:
negate on that one, I need it for school, and I dont think it is going to sell in 1 day, plus shipping from the Apple factory :)

Actually if you eBay it, you'll get the money before you ship it and Macbook Pro shipments are down to 1-2 days.

But if you were like me, you'd wait until the new iBooks (MacBooks, presumably) are announced.

I'm selling both my Powerbook and my G4 Powermac to buy the new Macbook when it is released (most likely around April 1st).

But I already have an iMac Core Duo so ditching a few computers in trade for one isn't a big deal.

Rocketpig said:
Actually if you eBay it, you'll get the money before you ship it and Macbook Pro shipments are down to 1-2 days.

But if you were like me, you'd wait until the new iBooks (MacBooks, presumably) are announced.

I'm selling both my Powerbook and my G4 Powermac to buy the new Macbook when it is released (most likely around April 1st).

But I already have an iMac Core Duo so ditching a few computers in trade for one isn't a big deal.
I dont eBay though, and besides, I like the iBook, it is plenty fast enough for typing, which is all I use it for. I don't want it as a main computer, I tried that once. two screens sharing 32MB VRAM is no fun at all.

wtf? why is that guy posting? but anyways, the iBook isn't fully mine yet, I have to pay my parents off yet for it :) so I can't sell it.

From the looks of your sig. you'd be giving up alot for the MacMini. I would agree with you that your iBook should be enough to give you portability. If you were to get another Mac you might want to consider the 20in iMac with it maxed out for what your selling off. Just what I think but you have to do what you want to do.

Mac Mini? No

iMac, yes..

I sold my Dual Core EE OCed on water @ 3.75GHz for this iMac... and this 2GHz Core Duo is completly worth it.

on another note, I will JUST (I mean ONLY) be using the mac for general PC use, no games. I got a 360 for that :) iMac for sure still? oh, and a little image editing in Photoshop CS2, with D100 JPEG files, but I've done that on my iBook and it was plenty fast enough.

If you won't do any gaming, or anything else that stresses the GPU, a Mac mini is a fairly good computer. You already have a display, keyboard and mouse, right?

Drawbacks for the mini over the iMac -

- Slow hard drive, and if you to upgrade you have to go with pricey laptop drives or external ones.

- Fairly weak integrated graphics, not really a problem if you don't plan to game I guess.

- Slow processors than what you can get in the iMac

But, at the same time, you can use any screen you want with it...

(damnit it apple, just release a headless iMac already).

I say still get the iMac due to the graphics...

Games? Who plays games on a mac.. no one...

The Graphics are there for Superior Video Playback etc...

I gaurentee you if you want to watch some Nice H.264 videos etc you would rather have a x1600 than Intel Integrated Graphics...

Also, the OS uses your video power for expose, quartz extreme, and all of that. So the more video memory you have and the faster GPU you have.
Remember, the Intel Integrated Graphics are good to go for basic stuff, however... its a slow integrated graphics processor, using your system memory. Thus, system memory is slower than dedicated graphics memory, and its taking away from the overall memory of your system for other things.

Get the iMac... and you will not be dissapointed.

I would recommend the Mac Mini in addition to your PC, however the question was "sell my PC" for a mac.... if you are goning to be PC less, you mite as well get the best Intel Mac you can.... So go for the iMac. You can always hook up your 2nd display as well :)

Games? Who plays games on a mac.. no one...
I do, occasionally...

The Graphics are there for Superior Video Playback etc...

I gaurentee you if you want to watch some Nice H.264 videos etc you would rather have a x1600 than Intel Integrated Graphics...
The Core Duo mini handles 1080p H.264. That's pretty much the most demanding video playback available. Video playback on the mini is not an issue.

Also, the OS uses your video power for expose, quartz extreme, and all of that. So the more video memory you have and the faster GPU you have.
Remember, the Intel Integrated Graphics are good to go for basic stuff, however... its a slow integrated graphics processor, using your system memory. Thus, system memory is slower than dedicated graphics memory, and its taking away from the overall memory of your system for other things.
While you are indeed correct, keep in mind that the new mini is still a hell of a lot snappier than most PowerPC Macs out there. The developer "Intel Power Macs" Apple let you loan after WWDC '05 ran GMA900s, I think, and a lot of people claimed things like Exposé and whatnot were faster on them than on their dual-CPU G5 systems with beefy graphics.

hello sir,
can you help me to get something like 4pices of PC i want to buy it in companycan you do this favour for me . :D

DaCoOlNeSs said:
specs in sig :)

also keep in mind that I have a iBook G4 14", the fastest PPC iBook made, ;) would I benifit if I was to upgrade? Or should I shoot for an iMac?

I know these post don't exactly make me the most popular guy on this apple part of the forum but I think you should reconsider selling a pc equipped with a 7800GT for a core duo with integrated graphics. I believe no one should switch to Mac (that is if they have already made their mind on switching) until Apple comes out with PowerMacs with Conroe inside. Since it is now possible to boot windows on Intel Macs, gaming won't be a problem once a powermac is released (you can't upgrade graphics on imac, macbook or core duo) and we can simply install high end graphics cards for adequate 3d performance. Then we will have the best of both worlds, fingers crossed...

I say keep what you have. Good balance bewttwen both. I am looking to get a new Mac Ibook with Duo chips when they launch them, and keep my Opteron 165 for gamming and main tasks.

Back