Sell MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti before used prices drop?

Geezus

Limp Gawd
I have a 6700k/1080 ti desktop that doesn't get much use right now. I usually just use my gaming laptop (gigabyte aero 15x w/ a 1070MQ) hooked up to an LG B9 OLED.

I see that they are still going for $500+ on ebay and Craigslist (I haven't checked FB Marketplace because no FB account).

I do plan on getting NVidia 3000 series to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 (and GSync on my LG OLED). The money I get from this card will just go towards the new one once those are out.

Should I sell my card now before prices drop? How much do you think 1080 ti price will drop once the Nvidia 3000 series comes out?

I’ve seen 1080 Ti cards going for low-$400s on these forums. They might sell for a little more on eBay but then you’ll be butt raped with fees. On Craigslist you always list for 20% higher than you expect to sell. At this point it probably doesn’t matter if you sell or wait.

If you are not using it, sell it for $450-$500 shipped on here. You’ll easily get that if it’s taken care of, clean and has original box and what not. Someone will take it 100%.

If you are not using it, sell it for $450-$500 shipped on here. You’ll easily get that if it’s taken care of, clean and has original box and what not. Someone will take it 100%.

I still have the box and actually just cleaned it the other day while changing to a new case.

Ive only bought/sold used hardware locally. I've just heard too many stories that'd give me headaches.

Maybe I'm thinking that the 3000 series is going to be such a leap foward that it'll drop the older gen hardware's prices drop like a rock. My fear is that it'll only be worth $250-300 after the 3000 release.

The only game I really have my eye on in Cyberpunk in the near future (D4 as well, but who knows when that's coming out). If I can still sell it for around $400 at that time (CP2077 release) and put towards a 3000 series I think I'll be happy.

I've had nothing but good experiences selling PC parts locally on Facebook marketplace.

I still have the box and actually just cleaned it the other day while changing to a new case.

Ive only bought/sold used hardware locally. I've just heard too many stories that'd give me headaches.

Maybe I'm thinking that the 3000 series is going to be such a leap foward that it'll drop the older gen hardware's prices drop like a rock. My fear is that it'll only be worth $250-300 after the 3000 release.

The only game I really have my eye on in Cyberpunk in the near future (D4 as well, but who knows when that's coming out). If I can still sell it for around $400 at that time (CP2077 release) and put towards a 3000 series I think I'll be happy.

Prices fall eventually man, but the 1080Ti is still a beast of a card. If your not using, sell it now. Like yesterday.

That is, if you want to get the most you can for it.

Prices fall eventually man, but the 1080Ti is still a beast of a card. If your not using, sell it now. Like yesterday.

That is, if you want to get the most you can for it.
So this is exactly what I did. I had it listed for $550 on marketplace and CL and just sold it for $475. Gonna wait until 3000 series come out to upgrade.

eBay sells like 20% ish higher but that's because you're eating basically 20% in paypal/ebay fees.

Now is the time to sell a 1080ti before more titles come out with DLSS 2.0 support, etc. That really makes a 2080 or even 2070 Super a better buy and better performance than a 1080ti for those games, regardless of raytracing support. 1080ti will likely fall under $400 this fall release season.

I'm in a similar situation and sold my 2080 Super a few weeks back. I game much more on my laptop with a 2070 at present since my wife has commandeered our home office where my desktop sits. I'll move back to my desktop once we both go back to the office, but in the meantime the 2080 Super was sitting largely unused, and resell prices are still high for them so I sold it.

If the new cards (Big Navi or 3080) offer a reasonable price/performance uptick over a 1080 Ti-level, I'll pick one up in Sept/Nov. If they are priced extravagantly, I'll stick with my laptop/2070.

I'm your case, I'd recommend selling considering you're not using the card. As for the new cards in September, $450 sadly only buy you 1080 Ti level performance. But of you're not using the card now, might as well sell so you have reserved some funds from which upgrade to the next performance level.

Last edited:
Dump it now if you plan to get 3000 for HDMI 2.1
Yep, 2.1 is a must to match my LG B9. I'm hoping I can get a 3080(?) around $700-800 with 20% faster than 2080 ti performance, with more DLSS and better RT but hey...everyone is hoping for that :)

Pure jealousy here. I am just trying to upgrade from my 1070 to a 1080TI and they are still too expensive. I do hope the prices drop and maybe I can afford one.

I was in the market for 6 months for a 1080ti. I did the research. Found that a 1080ti is just under a RTX2080 for hundreds less and IMHO RTX on turing was kind of a gimmick. Hindsight now i know it was needed(Build it and they will come type thing).
Anyway during that time the prices were pretty much 450-500 for a 1080ti. This ranged from founders to aftermarket cards. I waited and found the holy grail 1080ti Kingpin and paid 575 for it in December.

Being that the prices are still 450-500 pretty much i dont think you will see much difference until the ampere cards launch. Thats when you might see the market flood with 1080tis cause of people upgrading.

I myself am getting a 3080ti(3090 doesnt exist) but i will be waiting for the Kingpin version and even still the 1080ti isnt getting sold. Its going to sit on a shelf on display.

The longer you wait the less it's worth
lol, tell that to the retrotech community.
Computer tech used to be that way 20 years ago, but within the last decade, computer parts of all ages have become like a fine wine - more expensive with age.

The longer you wait the less it's worth

Unless it's a Voodoo card

I would sell my 1080ti which I've been holding for a backup to my 2080 but it's hardly going for anything like 300.00 tops for a MSI FE
I would sell my 980ti as well but it's probably going for half of that. I should of sold the 1080ti in early 2019 peak of bit coin craze or was that 2018.

I say dump the 1080 Ti while you can still get a few hundred bucks for it, if you're not using it.

Then, when the new cards come out, evaluate how badly you actually want one, if a mobile 1070 is actually doing the job for you.

Thought about selling it and going back to the 1070 in the meantime but 3440x1440 is too much for it and the Index PC needs a GPU upgrade in the living room.

I'll just move my 1080Ti to my back up pc once I get the new video card. Its just too good to get rid of. That's just me though.

Back