Sell HTC One for Nexus 5?

What would [H] do?

• Keep the HTC One - the Nexus 5 won't be better

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sell the HTC One immediately - the Nexus 5 is a no brainer

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Sell the HTC One after reading Nexus 5 reviews - you won't lose much value by waiting a few weeks

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

BigJavy

Lurker
Help me decide if I should take a chance on a Nexus 5!

I recently broke my Galaxy S3. AT&T offered to upgrade me early and, because of some issues with their customer service, sold me a black HTC One 64gb for... a good price. Now, I'm contemplating selling the HTC One before I even turn it on and using the money to buy a Nexus 5. My S3 still works so I can deal w/ it for a few weeks until the nexus is out. My ONLY hesitation is that the Nexus will suck and i'll be stuck paying full price either for another HTC One or for a crappy Nexus... or that i'll hold on to the HTC One and it's value will go down once the nexus is out.

So what would [H] do?

I can almost guarantee you that the One would have better camera and screen. And it's also most likely a X8 SoC due to the fact I doubt that Google would be using a S800 and my belief the nexus will be a Motorola phone.

And from the looks of it, the HTC One will be getting 4.3 before Samsung out Motorola puts it on their flagships.

So I really don't see a reason to unless you believe that you would be making a few bucks.

Depends if the rumors are true.. It's rumored to have a 2.3ghz Snapdragon 800 quad core processor, 3gb of ram, 5" 1080p screen that is 'true' IPS or OLED, and a 13 (I have heard 16 too) megapixel camera that's branded as a Nikon.. That beats the One, but..I don't think there is any official word on the specs.

It seems like you are really interested into the Nexus phones, based off of rumors alone it seems to be a beast of a phone.

Wait till the phone is released, it won't have any impact on HTC One price, or shouldn't anyways.

Just remember that the Nexus phones aren't super phones by any stretch, they do skimp out on areas where they can cut costs.

It seems like you are really interested into the Nexus phones, based off of rumors alone it seems to be a beast of a phone.
The rumor wagons hype every iteration of the Nexus line as the second coming of Christ and they never, ever, come even remotely close to meeting the hype. Why would this release be any different?

The rumor wagons hype every iteration of the Nexus line as the second coming of Christ and they never, ever, come even remotely close to meeting the hype. Why would this release be any different?

huh? Nexus 4 is still a pretty damn good phone, why wouldn't this one be at least an upgrade over that?

I can almost guarantee you that the One would have better camera and screen. And it's also most likely a X8 SoC due to the fact I doubt that Google would be using a S800 and my belief the nexus will be a Motorola phone.

And from the looks of it, the HTC One will be getting 4.3 before Samsung out Motorola puts it on their flagships.

So I really don't see a reason to unless you believe that you would be making a few bucks.

The most credible evidence is that the NX5 will be made by LG again. The rumored specs are shared with the LG Optimus G2. The NX4 was a slightly tweaked LG Optimus G.

The fact Google chose to launch their MotoX separately adds to this conclusion. Why would they make another Motorola phone?

going from an htc one---> nexus 5 would be jumping half a generation at most.

i.e going from a galaxy s3 to a galaxy s "3.5"

huh? Nexus 4 is still a pretty damn good phone, why wouldn't this one be at least an upgrade over that?
I agree, the Nexus 4 is a great phone but it still has a lot of compromises to get to that lower cost. The camera is terrible, no removable storage, build quality is horrendous, no LTE, the screen isn't the greatest, no USB OTG support, average battery life, and an average DAC.

I'm not saying it's a bad phone, I'm considering buying one after the price dropped, but it's not the phone all of the rumors made it out to be.

going from an htc one---> nexus 5 would be jumping half a generation at most.

i.e going from a galaxy s3 to a galaxy s "3.5"
How can you say that when we don't know anything about the Nexus 5?

I agree, the Nexus 4 is a great phone but it still has a lot of compromises to get to that lower cost. The camera is terrible, no removable storage, build quality is horrendous, no LTE, the screen isn't the greatest, no USB OTG support, average battery life, and an average DAC.

I'm not saying it's a bad phone, I'm considering buying one after the price dropped, but it's not the phone all of the rumors made it out to be.

I mentioned that in my post.

How can you say that when we don't know anything about the Nexus 5?

well then this whole thread is about speculation, isnt it?

it'll have a s600, or at the MOST a s800.

galaxy s3 is some other processor, lower qualcomm (can't remember the exact name)

htc one is a s600, 1080p already.

rumors are its based off of LG G2 (just like last year)

Thanks for the replies/votes. I'm still on the fence. The biggest thing making want to wait for the N5 is the guaranteed updates for the life of the phone - though I know the One has strong developer support so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Decisions decisions...

Keep the One and put the Google Edition ROM on it. If the 4.3 update is any indicator, it will get 4.3 within a week or two of the Nexus devices and you will have a phone that (probably) has better overall hardware than the current or next Nexus phone. I doubt the next Nexus phone will have a better camera, speakers, build quality, an IR blaster, or as much internal storage. The next Nexus phone will probably have the same S600 SoC, but even if it has the S800, I doubt it will have any significant impact on real-world usage or battery life over the S600.

Just my take. But even if the Nexus 5 does surprise us and will be a decent upgrade to the One (for you), the phone will be $300-$350, which you will easily be able to sell the One for to cover. And it's not going to be out for another couple months at the earliest.

Back