sell 880gtx and get 4850 ???

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
i'm thinking about selling my BFG 8800GTX oc for 225.00
and getting a ATI 4850 and saving some cash

Do you guys think this a good idea . I game at 1920x1200
i was looking at anandtech review of the 4850 and it looks to be faster than 8800GTX
and it would save me some money here
and i own a p45 asus p5q pro motherboard with cross fire
so i could add another card when they drop more in price
or should i hold out longer ?

I would reccomend getting a 4870 if your going to game at that resolution Unless your planing to run 2 4850's in Crossfire mode.

i was thinking of running 2 cards down the road

i don't play much graphic intensive games on my comp
i play alot of C&C3 and COD4
and from anandtech preview it looks like 4850 is about the same performance maybe a lil better in certain games
but i dunno it would be nice to save some cash

Don't bother with Crossfire, just upgrade the single GPU. Crossfire doesn't scale well.

I don't think its worth the hassle unless you can sell the 8800GTX for enough to make it a cheap upgrade.

if you are to choose between a single solution to dual, id always take single. I suggest the 4870... great card!

Eh Crossfire scales fine. Have you looked at any benches lately. two 4850s are faster than a single GTX 280 in crossfire.

8800GTX is a nice card so I really dont see the point in going from that to a 4850. To make it worthy upgrade to the 8800 you would need to run two in crossfire mode. But it just sounds like your desperate for money in that case 4850 is about the best price/performance you can get.

i dunno the benchmarks look like its about the same performance with the 4850
but i would be saving my self alot of money switching
i can get a 4850 for 199.99 then with 50 dollar rebates they are around 150
SO its seems i would be profiting
then when the price drops on the 4850 again like around 100 or below i will just pick up another card

i dunno

get a 4850 now, get one later, i also game on a 1920x1200 res i got 2 powercolors xfired. I get @ specified res 91fps on COd4 at max AA,AF (4x,16x).

what kind of performance do you get with one of your cards
all the benchmarks i have seen it seems to be a little bit faster than the 8800gtx
and the big thing is that the card is smaller and consumes less power

another question is which brand ? i was thinking of going with an ASUS 4850
ive had good luck with them in the past. i use to own a x1950 asus card and it had better cooling than the stock cards

I sold my 8800GTX for an ASUS 4850.
I only did it for the single-slot cooler and less heat.

As for the brand, VisionTek is the best due to the lifetime warranty.
I think ASUS makes 2nd place with a 3 yr warranty. This is ignoring price, of course. You should really take whichever one is cheaper.

Rebates, MIR, etc.
ASUS and Sapphire were about $145 in the last few weeks.

yea i think iam going to go with ASUS they are cheaper

your reasons for the 4850 are the same as mine
iam sick of the 8800gtx is a huge card and makes alot of heat

If you can sell your GTX for $225 you might want to splurge and get the VisionTek 4870 for $289...

what kind of performance do you get with one of your cards
all the benchmarks i have seen it seems to be a little bit faster than the 8800gtx
and the big thing is that the card is smaller and consumes less power

another question is which brand ? i was thinking of going with an ASUS 4850
ive had good luck with them in the past. i use to own a x1950 asus card and it had better cooling than the stock cards

Well i didnt run cod4 when i was testing one card, but i did do hl2 @ 1920x1200 max AA, AF and everything else i was getting around 290fps in places, 180+avg

I know i thought about the 4870

but man i don't play that man games on my pc any more that need that much power
i barely even using the power of 8800GTX

I mean i play TF2 and COD4 UT3 for fps
C&C3 Kanes wrath and wow
i was thinking the 4850 would save me money
and i have the option to run 2 cards for the price of 4870
i dunno i have the PSU to run 2 cards

i like the idea of lower power consumption as well

700 watts, you got plenty

Looks like 384 on load with xfired 4850 and thats with 3hds etc.

I know i thought about the 4870

but man i don't play that man games on my pc any more that need that much power
i barely even using the power of 8800GTX

I mean i play TF2 and COD4 UT3 for fps
C&C3 Kanes wrath and wow
i was thinking the 4850 would save me money
and i have the option to run 2 cards for the price of 4870
i dunno i have the PSU to run 2 cards

i like the idea of lower power consumption as well

if you're barely using your card now dont upgrade. i have a 4850 but i dont think its a worthwhile upgrade on you're part. you could always use the 8800gtx for another 6 months or so until it no longer can keep up in game you want to play and get whatever is in you're price range later.

asus boards are sold out on newegg
i might have to go with power color
or should i go with a diffrent brand ?

if u can go visiontek, cause it has lifetime. Power color is fine most people say stay clear of sapphire/his as the worst seems power color is in the middle

how long do the rebates from newegg usually take
i can get the visiontek 4850 at bestbuy with a 12% coupon for cheaper than the price listed on newegg. but they have a $20 rebate which in the end is making it cheaper at 169.99
but is it worth it if they send it to you in 6 months?

I'd say my 8800GTX==1 4850 in the tests I've done. And in most games not called Crysis, having 2x4850 has kicked ass. Now, as it stands today, with the prices the 280 has fallen, I'd actually think about the 280 vs 2x4850, though you could still get 3 4850s for the price of a 280. :) Not that it looks like having a 3rd card does much good anyway.

If you can sell your 8800GTX, buy the HD 4850 and still manage to make some profit, I would say go for it even if it has equal performance.

However the HD 4850 is actually a little bit faster than the 8800GTX, supports UVD2, DirectX 10.1, uses less power and you also have a Crossfire mobo which will give you the possibility of a cheap upgrade later.

i got a visiontek 4850 last night and paid retail at bb for 194 and still made money
in the end selling my 8800GTX

Iam using the 3.6 hotfix drivers form ati. when i first got it install and running the temps were extremely high like 81c idle . I had to set the fan speed to 65% and now its running 47c idle
this thing can oc i had it running the core at 700mhz and the memory at 1100mhz
but it eventually crashed after like 20 mins of playing tf2. I now am running it at 650mhz core 1000mhz ram and its fine . i think they need to fix the card's bios to maintain cooler temps. because there is something funky going on with the fan speed management on default. I also think the drivers could mature more. I am playing games on the same res and getting 15+ fps faster in most games. I feel the Picture quality IQ is a little better too on the ATI card. So far iam enjoying this card it feels alot smoother than my 8800gtx. So far iam happy. I will probably get another one when the newer cards come out and the price drops a little more

I bought a Visiontek 4850 from BB (for $150.00 ) for my wife's computer, however I ended up installing it in mine because I sent in my eVGA 8800GTX to step up to a 260GTX. It is the same or faster then the 8800GTX- colors are a bit more vibrant too. I have had no drivers issues so far. It runs hot but I have not noticed it increasing my core system temps at all and the card has not crashed. I am inpressed with the card. I may just sell the 260XT when I get it and just buy another 4850. BTW- I game on a 20 inch widescreen LCD at 1680 x 1050. For the first time ever I am completely AMD now.

YEA i had the exact same experience

with my old 8800GTX it was a great card but i think it actually ran hotter and also i think my BSOD intermittent problem may have been link to the nvidia drivers. I use to get a random bsod stating one of my compoents had a fatal hardware error. Since i have removed my 8800GTX i have not had this problem yet. Again iam not sure if it was the card or not but maybe. Iam running a new system with a e7200 oc to 3.6ghz 400fsb 800mhz ddr2 8gigs
vista home premium 64bit WD 640gig hd sata 2 ASUS p5Q pro motherboard

yea the drivers haven't matured yet that's for sure. Thus is the reason its not up on ati website under official released drivers. Give it a week or 2. looks like ATI had to get the cards out ASAP before refining the drivers.

I bought a Visiontek 4850 from BB (for $150.00 ) for my wife's computer, however I ended up installing it in mine because I sent in my eVGA 8800GTX to step up to a 260GTX. It is the same or faster then the 8800GTX- colors are a bit more vibrant too. I have had no drivers issues so far. It runs hot but I have not noticed it increasing my core system temps at all and the card has not crashed. I am inpressed with the card. I may just sell the 260XT when I get it and just buy another 4850. BTW- I game on a 20 inch widescreen LCD at 1680 x 1050. For the first time ever I am completely AMD now.

No you are not yet completely AMD, you still need an AMD chipset to have a spider platform :p

you have manually adjust the cpu fan speed %

mine was set to 8% by defualt causing the card temps to be 81c idle
i increased to 65% and watched it drop to 47c idle

8800GTX early adopters are the luckiest people in the world, the card still has a high resale value today so you can upgrade to a faster card and still make some profit.

Back